British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

MSDL Destroyed by BSPA?

Some very nasty rumours starting to circulate that the nomad clubs have been denied entry into the MSDL this year effectively leaving Birmingham & IOW and therefore no league at all?

Does anybody know who is responsible for the petty decisions to remove one of the most important breeding grounds for future UK talent as i am amongst a list who are waiting to here genuine reasoning behind it.....

.....it currently stinks like its being pushed out the way for the new diluted NL next season. 

There are a lot of dedicated supporters and volunteers who have given up thousands of pounds and hours to assist riders and this feels like a brutal kick to everyone involved.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Some very nasty rumours starting to circulate that the nomad clubs have been denied entry into the MSDL this year effectively leaving Birmingham & IOW and therefore no league at all?

Does anybody know who is responsible for the petty decisions to remove one of the most important breeding grounds for future UK talent as i am amongst a list who are waiting to here genuine reasoning behind it.....

.....it currently stinks like its being pushed out the way for the new diluted NL next season. 

There are a lot of dedicated supporters and volunteers who have given up thousands of pounds and hours to assist riders and this feels like a brutal kick to everyone involved.

I've read a detailed reply from Reading who it seems are worst affected as they were passionate supporters of MDL/SDL and also seems closer than any dormant Club to getting a track back.

Facebook indicates Weymouth will make a statement after the meeting tomorrow.

One rumour though which really would throw everything in to complete confusion is that Mr Godfrey wants to run a "Halifax" Team at Scunthorpe.

I can only speak for what I see at Birmingham. We do get some old MK fans there to watch and some young talent that looks like it could make it. Will be a shame if its lost.

If they want every / some PL / CL to run second half development racing in 2021 that's fine but what about the fans of dormant Clubs, where do they go to see their favourite team and won't they be forever lost to the Sport?

Also what about IOW especially, Mildenhall and Plymouth - what happens to them? if no NDL (3rd tier)??.

Can't afford to lose the likes of Barry Bishop and IOW. 

• Like 2

I find this whole issue unbelievable, how on earth are we going to bring  British Youngsters through the ranks?

First the disabled people in certain numbers have lost the opportunity to watch speedway at a Premiership club, following the ban on Blue Badge holders taking their vehicles into long established parking areas, thus avoiding an impossible trek, now we put a block on young riders from entering the sport.....oh! dear, what is happening?

The Halifax element must be a red herring. I know Reading have not been allowed to run and Crayford were also denied entry. It seems likely that statements form Weymouth, Exeter and MK Knights (the longest running dev league team) are likely to follow. I feel for the clubs who were all set and had made preparations, i really feel for the riders who have laid out thousands over the winter in readiness to start the season and find there isn't one to start.

I cannot wait for the Godfather to stand up and state his reasons and how the destruction of a development league could ever be in the best interests of the sport ....... 

• Like 2

I think the reason is that to have a league with teams who have no actual relationship to the area they are named after creates a 'Micky Mouse' impression for the competition.

There's no reason under this structure provided they had backers why for example teams with old club names like Lea Bridge, Stamford Bridge, High Beech aka King's Oak should not take part.

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

I think the reason is that to have a league with teams who have no actual relationship to the area they are named after creates a 'Micky Mouse' impression for the competition.

There's no reason under this structure provided they had backers why for example teams with old club names like Lea Bridge, Stamford Bridge, High Beech aka King's Oak should not take part.

That's not a reason though to spitefully stop Clubs who are trying to maintain a supporter base and an interest level and at the same time bring along a new generation of riders with some meaningful competitive racing and in an environment where they can learn from and be around more established riders.

The other thing that will affect the established "landlord" clubs is that some of these nomad sides would bring in 10-20-30 supporters or more through the turnstiles, most to see their Clubs active and less to see riders develop. If they are lost you also impact on finances of the landlord club like Birmingham.

No vision, no explanation from the BSPA Management Committee at all! (yet anyway)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HGould said:

That's not a reason though to spitefully stop Clubs who are trying to maintain a supporter base and an interest level and at the same time bring along a new generation of riders with some meaningful competitive racing and in an environment where they can learn from and be around more established riders.

The other thing that will affect the established "landlord" clubs is that some of these nomad sides would bring in 10-20-30 supporters or more through the turnstiles, most to see their Clubs active and less to see riders develop. If they are lost you also impact on finances of the landlord club like Birmingham.

No vision, no explanation from the BSPA Management Committee at all! (yet anyway)

That's fair comment HGould and I fully accept your response to my viewpoint.

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

I find this whole issue unbelievable, how on earth are we going to bring  British Youngsters through the ranks?

First the disabled people in certain numbers have lost the opportunity to watch speedway at a Premiership club, following the ban on Blue Badge holders taking their vehicles into long established parking areas, thus avoiding an impossible trek, now we put a block on young riders from entering the sport.....oh! dear, what is happening?

Its truely heartbreaking especially when so many have put so much time and effort for little reward but to now be removed of any chance to compete at all is disgusting. The BSPA should be looking at ways to assist these teams not punish them. I suspect the master plan is to set up a new league that they can control which will be wonderful when there are no riders left, no clubs willing to fund it themselves and no spectators willing to support another price hike. A few people who are trying to create a legacy for themselves are doing a good job, they will be know as the people who destroyed UK speedway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, gustix said:

That's fair comment HGould and I fully accept your response to my viewpoint.

Would love to see some of those names you mention involved in some sort of "nostalgic" Fixture too at some point.

I guess lack of tracks in London now makes it difficult, hopefully something Rye House could look at?

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

Would love to see some of those names you mention involved in some sort of "nostalgic" Fixture too at some point.

I guess lack of tracks in London now makes it difficult, hopefully something Rye House could look at?

The bigger danger being "if rumours are true" that the only level clubs will be able to enter at is CL with a NL/MDL level junior side as a compulsory second team. That is a big outlay for any club looking to join the leagues and lets face it how many tracks have opened vs closed in the past 10 years. With established sides struggling to balance the books and the NL becoming a more financial viable option for many sides it has been torpedoed by the mafia to sustain their own product. The MSDL has fallen foul to the same treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your rumour spreading is true, and we have no evidence that it is , then why would the head of speedway want to do away with basically an amateur junior development league that has no fininacial effect or any other implications on him , his club, or speedway in general other than to benefit it?

They/ he have not impacted on the NJL although I understand Vatcher does attend their AGM. Th NJL have had Castleford and Halifax appear in their league and also have had Barrow, Sunderland and other 'extinct' clubs in their competitions.

There has got to be a legal reason for any interference as Godfrey's own track provides more opportunity's for juniors than any other track in the country.

1 minute ago, Ringitsneck said:

If your rumour spreading is true, and we have no evidence that it is , then why would the head of speedway want to do away with basically an amateur junior development league that has no fininacial effect or any other implications on him , his club, or speedway in general other than to benefit it?

They/ he have not impacted on the NJL although I understand Vatcher does attend their AGM. Th NJL have had Castleford and Halifax appear in their league and also have had Barrow, Sunderland and other 'extinct' clubs in their competitions.

There has got to be a legal reason for any interference as Godfrey's own track provides more opportunity's for juniors than any other track in the country.

Reading between the lines of various comment over past 12 months I think the NDL and lower Development leagues are the victim of a plan to have top 2 Leagues more clearly defined.

That seems to be Godfreys mission!

A PL of 10 Clubs with less doubling down and a CL of the rest with more of a  CL second string / CL reserve / NDL heat leader / second string level ;and therefore lower costs in points pay.

To have enough riders you have to remove a tier and that's the 3rd tier

Thats a good concept but the better financed CL Clubs like Glasgow and Leicester and now Poole probably can't make PL pay on Monday and Thursday.

They would probably jump up if they could use Friday; Saturday and Wednesday respectively.

The Monday + Thursday fixation is the upper blocker and the lower blocker is the future of the 3 standalone Clubs (or imminent death as seems likely).

I'd be happy to see Brummies in the 2nd CL tier on this basis but can't see 10 Clubs in PL as things currently stand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

It's not a rumour, teams were told @ the start of 2019 that "nomad" teams would not be allowed to operate in 2020. A good or bad decision?  I don't know! 

Definately bad: there is no way that new riders - unless they have been riding grasstrack since childhood - can go straight into the National League without serving an apprenticeship in a Development League team. The fact is, that promoters couldn't care less about DL teams, even though it doesn't cost them a penny to run!

22 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

I am only purveying information that i have been told / read. This season two teams have not been allowed to run in the MSDL because they are nomad sides. The others have yet to confirm or deny but few are likely to be making more substantial efforts to locate a new venue than Reading. I do not know if Godfrey was the decision maker or not but as top of the pile it cannot be something that has passed his notice. 

If you want reasons it could be anything from ensuring the league in which his club operates in is secure or profiteering from the amateur meetings he hosts as they re likely to be better supported this summer.......i would point out all of those are speculation due to no genuine real reason being issued.

14 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

It's not a rumour, teams were told @ the start of 2019 that "nomad" teams would not be allowed to operate in 2020. A good or bad decision?  I don't know! 

Whilst that may/may not be the case there are certainly several nomad sides preparing to run this season and have now been denied so he message was neither clear nor made publicly known as the uproar would have started before now.

• Like 1