British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sings4Speedway

MSDL Destroyed by BSPA?

59 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Firstly the above was prior to todays fanfare. Second why did there have to destroy one league and create another? Surely all these teams could have just entered the existing setup? The opportunities are at best equal to what was exisiting. Why any NL or CL would want to enter the premiership junior league sounds unlikely. 

There are plenty of riders who have spent thousands preparing for a season, licences purchased and now potentially face an anxious few weeks/months to discover if they will be competing this season. 

It looks like maybe you jumped the gun then started a thread with an accusation without first trying to ascertain the facts? I don’t have any answers to your questions but how many is the “plenty of riders”? Is it more than the 28 team places available? Then I could see some would be anxious. If it’s less than 28, then I’d have thought they’d all be excited at the possibility of being part of a top league set up?

Because of the enthusiasm of supporters and other hard working individuals, we have moved from a time when there were very few young British riders coming through to a vibrant scene. You just need to look at how many young riders attended the GB Team training camp at the weekend and how many are at the Young Lions course in the Isle of Wight this week. Individuals have stepped in to make this development  happen and the often maligned Neil Vatcher deserves great credit for what he’s done, as do those involved with the NJL and, after it was tidied up 3 or 4 years ago by the SCB, the MDL and the newly re-formed SDL.

Now we get to 2020 and, at long last, the powers that be in the BSPA rather than individual promoters have picked this up and hopefully will move things even further along.

• Like 3

I'm very sceptical that this proposed new Premiership Development League will even happen, and if it starts I doubt it will see the season out.

People underestimate the amount of work voluteers running MDSL teams put in.  (e.g. Carmarthen at Stoke the last few years).   Organising to get 4 riders around the country, for no money, for every fixture takes considerable dedication, and I can't imagine Premiership promoters being willing to put in that level of work to make it happen.

Will Ipswich be able to find 4 young kids to travel up to Belle Vue, for no money, on a Monday night?  Will Sheffield be able to find 4 young kids to travel down to Swindon, for no money, on a Thursday night?    The Premiership promoters will feel they have enough to worry about with the Belle Vue v Ipswich, and Swindon v Sheffield PL matches, without having to worry about finding riders for a 2nd half junior league.

The second half leagues we've had with the MDL and MDSL over the past 10 years or so have produced numerous young British riders.  We need these competitions if we are to develop young British talent, but I fear the BSPA "Bull in a China Shop" approach for 2020 is a huge mistake.  Their killing of the MDSL will deprive kids of track time. 

Of course if the new league does succeed, then young British kids attached to the PL teams will have got good track time from 12 matches (6 home, 6 away).   But will that happen???   Check back in October.

• Like 2

Let's see what the season brings,  hope it works and if it does work next season why not all team's in CL have a team too. Think one of the problems is there are more 125 riders than there is 500 so would there be enough riders to go round? Just a thought. 

4 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

I'm very sceptical that this proposed new Premiership Development League will even happen, and if it starts I doubt it will see the season out.

People underestimate the amount of work voluteers running MDSL teams put in.  (e.g. Carmarthen at Stoke the last few years).   Organising to get 4 riders around the country, for no money, for every fixture takes considerable dedication, and I can't imagine Premiership promoters being willing to put in that level of work to make it happen.

Will Ipswich be able to find 4 young kids to travel up to Belle Vue, for no money, on a Monday night?  Will Sheffield be able to find 4 young kids to travel down to Swindon, for no money, on a Thursday night?    The Premiership promoters will feel they have enough to worry about with the Belle Vue v Ipswich, and Swindon v Sheffield PL matches, without having to worry about finding riders for a 2nd half junior league.

The second half leagues we've had with the MDL and MDSL over the past 10 years or so have produced numerous young British riders.  We need these competitions if we are to develop young British talent, but I fear the BSPA "Bull in a China Shop" approach for 2020 is a huge mistake.  Their killing of the MDSL will deprive kids of track time. 

Of course if the new league does succeed, then young British kids attached to the PL teams will have got good track time from 12 matches (6 home, 6 away).   But will that happen???   Check back in October.

I suspect the response may be. "Hey, you can't run your DL team any more but you can run mine for me"

Edited by RobMcCaffery

No more than creaming 16 year olds as assets to build asset banks for PL Teams so that when the cream rises to the top it will become an income stream for the length of the rider career.

Some PL Team will do it properly because they care about young riders, Belle Vue certainly do.

20 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Consideration for volunteers and supporters? That would be a nice idea ;-)

That will be the day ...

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

That will be the day ...

I live in hope. Trouble is the next village is called despair....

True. At least the Birmingham promotion are trying to do something, even if no-one else is!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, *JJ said:

True. At least the Birmingham promotion are trying to do something, even if no-one else is!

Credit to the oft and unfairly maligned Laurence for that. Just hope there are a few other non Premier Teams who will host a meaningful MSDL.

IOW and Plymouth will hopefully continue in some form with MSDL but hard to see where other Teams may come from.

It seems as if the Northern Clubs are unaffected and running their own version similar to last year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HGould said:

It seems as if the Northern Clubs are unaffected and running their own version similar to last year.

As they have done since 2010.       Hopefully they will be left alone to continue for another ten years, too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crescent girl said:

As they have done since 2010.       Hopefully they will be left alone to continue for another ten years, too!

Out of sight, out of mind.....

personally believe Northern junior league is the better format with 125s and 500s as it allows kids to be in the team format. done wonders for my lad who misses out this year due to being on a 250. shame the mdl sdl don't run a similar format as there is a huge number of the smaller capacity riders in the south that would of then alleviated some of the issues regarding riders having multipul teams and the reliance on older riders. ps I don't have any issues with the age thing but its all in the name junior league or development league it has to be about the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

personally believe Northern junior league is the better format with 125s and 500s as it allows kids to be in the team format. done wonders for my lad who misses out this year due to being on a 250. shame the mdl sdl don't run a similar format as there is a huge number of the smaller capacity riders in the south that would of then alleviated some of the issues regarding riders having multipul teams and the reliance on older riders. ps I don't have any issues with the age thing but its all in the name junior league or development league it has to be about the future.

It was proposed to switch to the boring NJL format (same 4 riders racing 3 times yawn) but there were too few takers for the smaller engine class. 

As for the future unless the standard is driven up, the support from the top increased and entertainment increased there wont be one.

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Meaning?

Its usual meaning. It's too far away from many people in positions of authority to notice it. Having said that NJL was being staged at Scunthorpe. One benefit of being 'distant' is the ability just to get on with things without interference.

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2