British Speedway Forum
Argos

Jason Crump

3 hours ago, Argos said:

When Jason Crump finished in British Speedway did he have a Fairwell meeting?

Nah. He just said "I'll be back." And now he is.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Nah. He just said "I'll be back." And now he is.

What does this mean please?

The reason I asked the question, It was my understanding that if you had a fairwell meeting you were banned from making a return to the Sport 

4 minutes ago, Argos said:

The reason I asked the question, It was my understanding that if you had a fairwell meeting you were banned from making a return to the Sport 

A bit like Swindon?:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Todd Wiltshire made a comeback in 2006 after having had a farewell meeting in 2004.

• Like 1

Don't think JC ever had a Farewell meeting anywhere, just a long lap of honour in Torun!

56 minutes ago, Vincent Blachshadow said:

Todd Wiltshire made a comeback in 2006 after having had a farewell meeting in 2004.

Was just gonna say that.  I've got his race jacket from the farewell meeting.  Took the edge of it a tiny bit when he came back but still pleased i got it.

9 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Was just gonna say that.  I've got his race jacket from the farewell meeting.  Took the edge of it a tiny bit when he came back but still pleased i got it.

Didn't it hammer down with rain that night at Oxford for his Farewell? 

18 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

It doesnt hammer down with rain in the Sweet City we have liquid sunshine

• Like 1

No doubt it is a fantastic coup for the Witches and a boost for the sport in general.  I remember the excitement when it was announced the Falcons had re-signed Ivan Mauger (for home meetings only) in our ill-fated return to the British League in 1984.  Although he still managed an average a fraction over 8pts - which is today's standard would be good - he was a shadow of the rider he once was and was at time beat by some pretty average riders who would not have got near him when he was in his pomp.

It may have been only a fraction of a second out of the gate but in modern racing it made all the difference especially for someone who prided themselves on their gating ability.

It was similar for Verner when he returned - although not renowned for his gating - his fence scraping escapades that made him such a favourite was largely gone.

No doubt some of the hunger must go also as well as the realisation of the risks must be greater.

Still all were great riders, Mauger the greatest, Verner one of the best all action riders around the County Ground and as for Jason Crump I would urge anyone if you get the chance to see him in action to make a special effort to go and see one of the greats of modern Speedway.

• Like 1

Another possible precedent is Andrew Silver, who came back for Rye House. Silver in the second tier is probably about the same level as Crump in the top tier.

As I recall, he ended up as a high-scoring reserve and scored one maximum during the year.

8 years away from competitive action will be his biggest problem + he is 8 years older ,everybody likes to think they are as fit as they were in body and mind.;)

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

8 years away from competitive action will be his biggest problem + he is 8 years older ,everybody likes to think they are as fit as they were in body and mind.;)

Very true, but if Jason has retained his gating skills he will score big at home ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yeh i don't actually think they finished it.  I've got the programme somewhere but pretty sure it was cut short cos of the rain.