British Speedway Forum
Argos

Jason Crump

31 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Yeh i don't actually think they finished it.  I've got the programme somewhere but pretty sure it was cut short cos of the rain.

No i don't think they did and there were some great riders there including Hans Nielsen i believe 

56 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

No i don't think they did and there were some great riders there including Hans Nielsen i believe 

Yeh was a good turnout riders and fans. Very long night in the bar after aswell from what i remember. 

12 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

Yeh was a good turnout riders and fans. Very long night in the bar after aswell from what i remember. 

Yes very good turnout shame it was cut short because of the rain. 

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

8 years away from competitive action will be his biggest problem + he is 8 years older ,everybody likes to think they are as fit as they were in body and mind.;)

But the riders are not as good as they were 8 years ago

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

But the riders are not as good as they were 8 years ago

The standard has certainly declined in the top league.He will need to gate sharp to get out of the way of the like of Bates and Garrity though.:P

36 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The standard has certainly declined in the top league.He will need to gate sharp to get out of the way of the like of Bates and Garrity though.:P

That won't be hard, neither of them are in the top league :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

That won't be hard, neither of them are in the top league :D

Yet. Could well be Peterborough’s last two signings :P

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

They 8 years older too.....

Not many of them were 36 eight years ago though.:P

Welcome back Jason Crump.  Always thought he retired too early and still plenty in the tank!  Great signing for Ipswich and for British speedway in general :t:

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 4

It’s really hard to know what level Jason is going to be at having been out for so long, but he’s a competitive sportsman, and throughout his career probably one of the most competitive characters in the sport - he hated losing. I can’t see he’d be doing this if he thought he’d make himself look a dick, he’s a 3 time world champion no way he’s going to be satisfied not being competitive and scoring 2 points

He’s always loved Foxhall, after a month or so I can see him scoring well at home. Nobody can be expecting him to hit the ground running so we’re going to need to be patient and not make knee jerk conclusions after a few meetings. He’s going to have to show something in the early meetings mind you to show that there is something still there. 

I remain on the fence and it’s just a wait and see situation. Nobody can confidently predict what’s going to happen which makes this the most intriguing signing of the winter. 

We also have to remember this isn’t a half decent heatleader who was a 7-8 pointer who is making a comeback, it’s a rider who last posted an average over 11 in a much tougher league. I don’t think an average of between 7-8 is unrealistic. 

We started with Harris on an inflated average last year who dropped over a point and half and we still made the play offs so even if his average drops as most are predicting, it doesn’t mean the end of our chances. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 2

People need to stop making comparisons to riders in the past who made comebacks. Someone even used his father Phil as an example. But look at the strength of the teams that they were returning to, even the reserves back then were quality. Having a look at the “strength” of the line ups on the BSPA website, I don’t see an awful lot that will frighten him. He’ll still have the measure of your Palm Tofts of this world. 7.5 average or thereabouts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89buttons said:

It’s really hard to know what level Jason is going to be at having been out for so long, but he’s a competitive sportsman, and throughout his career probably one of the most competitive characters in the sport - he hated losing. I can’t see he’d be doing this if he thought he’d make himself look a dick, he’s a 3 time world champion no way he’s going to be satisfied not being competitive and scoring 2 points

I agree, very competitive and as you say, hated losing. Will this be one of the reasons he cuts short his return? I just can’t see him being satisfied being beaten on a regular basis, and by what he and others consider much less talented riders.

I used to love watching him at Swindon, especially his duels with Leigh Adams. I can’t wait to see him ride again, but something tells me it’s not going to last. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

I don’t see an awful lot that will frighten him. He’ll still have the measure of your Palm Tofts of this world. 7.5 average or thereabouts. 

Very much the case and I see that as being at least the average he will show UK speedway. The danger for him is an early season injury setback, which I pray does not happen. I think the re-introduction of quality riders in Pedersen, Iversen and Crump will put some bums on seats but will sadly. merely halt the slide in support falling away nationally.