British Speedway Forum
Argos

Jason Crump

18 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I know Jason Crump retired many years ago but he is only 2 years older than dirty Nicki who is still regarded as a top rider.

As I said on the Ipswich thread, Nicki had the 12th highest average in Poland last year. He is still one of the best in the world. The time off the bike will be what hurts Crump. But then nobody is expecting him to be the 12th best rider in the world this season. 

3 hours ago, Ben91 said:

As I said on the Ipswich thread, Nicki had the 12th highest average in Poland last year. He is still one of the best in the world. The time off the bike will be what hurts Crump. But then nobody is expecting him to be the 12th best rider in the world this season. 

Amazes me how some people think that just because he is only 2 years older than NP, he will come in and do a similar job. 

Pedersen has been riding at the highest level all that time and keeping fit whilst Crump hasn’t. 

Pedersen was also challenging for the world title the season Crump retired as well. 

id be gobsmacked if there’s not at least 3 points difference in their averages this season

• Haha 1

Well that is somewhat surprising reading that Seth still has a year in school. My understanding was that he was coming over this year.

Makes Jason’s decision even more intriguing actually, he’s upping sticks again well away from family to race. He must certainly be keen for this and makes it purely a racing decision rather than a family one.

Good luck to him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pinny said:

Amazes me how some people think that just because he is only 2 years older than NP, he will come in and do a similar job. 

Pedersen has been riding at the highest level all that time and keeping fit whilst Crump hasn’t. 

Pedersen was also challenging for the world title the season Crump retired as well. 

id be gobsmacked if there’s not at least 3 points difference in their averages this season

I think Jason will know within a few weeks whether he has it or not, ER the diehard Swindon supporter had it spot on young Crumpie will not except losing easily that is what made him a champion.My hunch is that he will average over seven mainly because the tracks now are  quite technical apart from the NSS and Owlerton.His ability is top notch he has brilliant aquipment a superb attitude and is a complete professional.If he has a full season there is not a chance of him being three points lower than Nicki if anything Pedersen has it all to prove to he will not get it his own way all of the time.The approach Jason should take is not to put to much pressure on himself and enjoy his speedway i for one am looking forward to seeing an alltime top 10 great in action again even though it is a 44 year old version.His battles with Leigh Adams at the Abbey in the 2000s still stick in the mind superb two great legends of our sport.

12 hours ago, Pinny said:

Nicki and Jason Doyle should be the top two riders in the league this year without a doubt. 

Crump could come back and shock us all. I think (and hope) he will do well but if his average is similar to Nicki’s then he’s done incredibly well or Nicki has had a stinker of a year. 

Its similar to a boxer who has been out of the ring for years, your body changes and you forget what it’s like to be punched or slog it out for 12 rounds even if you can still do the business on the pads. Will be interesting to see how Crumpy fares after his first fall. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pinny said:

You may well be gobsmacked then! He has had a long time out of the sport and I think he will struggle to start with but I think he still has a lot to offer and will surprise many.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Nicki and Jason Doyle should be the top two riders in the league this year without a doubt. 

Crump could come back and shock us all. I think (and hope) he will do well but if his average is similar to Nicki’s then he’s done incredibly well or Nicki has had a stinker of a year. 

Its similar to a boxer who has been out of the ring for years, your body changes and you forget what it’s like to be punched or slog it out for 12 rounds even if you can still do the business on the pads. Will be interesting to see how Crumpy fares after his first fall. 

I reckon Lambert will have a higher average than Pedersen at the end of the season. 

Doyle

Lambert

Iversen

Pedersen

Kurtz

is my top 5 for end averages...

24 minutes ago, therefused said:

I reckon Lambert will have a higher average than Pedersen at the end of the season. 

Doyle

Lambert

Iversen

Pedersen

Kurtz

I would have thought Iversen would be ahead of Lambert and I don't think Kurtz will be top 5.

2 hours ago, therefused said:

Doyle

Lambert

Iversen

Pedersen

Kurtz

I think Batch well be in there.

Edited by Bald Bloke

2 hours ago, therefused said:

Doyle

Lambert

Iversen

Pedersen

Kurtz

For the sake of British Speedway I hope you’re right but I doubt Lambert will average more than Nicki greatly. To put a little context on things here are the Polish averages (excluding bonus points) of the riders you listed for 2019. This is the best way to compare their 2019 form as they all rode in the Ekstraliga.

Doyle 8.80

Lambert 4.28

Iversen 6.65

Pedersen 7.81

Kurtz 4.58

Pedersen has ambitions to get back into the Grand Prix series. If he is serious about those ambitions he will have to be as good, if not better than he was last year. I wouldn’t bet against him doing just that. A tangent from what the thread is about but this just goes to show how good Jason’s old sparring partner still is. 

On 2/20/2020 at 1:54 PM, Odds On said:

great to see Jason Crump back in the saddle but the biggest question is why?

Seth..

8 minutes ago, M.D said:

Seth..

Did I read that Seth has one more year education back in Oz still tho?

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

Yes. Crumps decision is purely a racing one. 

Thoughts that what I read. So those still quoting Seth as the reason are wrong then. 

2 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Thoughts that what I read. So those still quoting Seth as the reason are wrong then. 

Think I’ve read the word “Seth” more times on here since Crump signed than Crump himself!