British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Peter Craven Memorial (Belle Vue) 21.03.20

A massive thanks to belle vue speedway and every rider representing British speedway last night. What an incredible night of speedway to end the season. Everyone diddnt give an inch. Doyle a deserved winner and really proud ro see him do the hat trick. What a show that was. 

• Like 1

Tin hat on time but never mind...

I have said before there should be races with more than four riders in simply to give something 'different' to the night..

Seen it in the USA on tiny 110m tracks so somewhere like the NSS is a perfect shape and size for it, the shape means hardly any locking up so less chance of a rider behind knocking the guy in front off his bike or getting injured himself..

And even match races can still have two riders crashing..

Maybe a heat 15 every week could be 3 from each team? A possible 12-3 could make lots of meetings last heat deciders..

Another call would be to run the 2021 season (if still no chance of a full season) solely at the NSS Mondays and Thursdays..

Every Premiership meeting takes place there via streaming...

Facilities are great, lighting is excellent, and the team who present the stream are amongst the very best at what they do so can stay based there.. 

And of course the racing is superb..

Similar to how Basketball did it in the states, ie one venue..

It may need a domestic rider only league to get round any restrictions that may exist but at least it would give a full season, and hopefully plenty of people paying to watch their teams..

The Championship could do something similar on two other nights at one, or even two, of their best tracks for racing...

A weekly ticket for say two matches a week at something like a tenner would be popular I would think and wouldn't just attract the fans from the teams on show..

Four teams race one week in the Premiership and four teams race the next, meaning each team rides once a fortnight..

Poland got a fair few viewers this year but to be honest the racing didn't excite the way it usually does so maybe this 'captured audience' could migrate over to domestic speedway a couple of nights per week if the product is good..

And the NSS pretty much guarantees it is..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

Thinking outside the box, Mike. I like that.

and I just watched the final race, whilst not positive about a 6 man race even at NSS, I now change my mind.

Edited by OveFundinFan

13 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Tin hat on time but never mind...

I have said before there should be races with more than four riders in simply to give something 'different' to the night..

Seen it in the USA on tiny 110m tracks so somewhere like the NSS is a perfect shape and size for it, the shape means hardly any locking up so less chance of a rider behind knocking the guy in front off his bike or getting injured himself..

And even match races can still have two riders crashing..

Maybe a heat 15 every week could be 3 from each team? A possible 12-3 could make lots of meetings last heat deciders..

Another call would be to run the 2021 season (if still no chance of a full season) solely at the NSS Mondays and Thursdays..

Every Premiership meeting takes place there via streaming...

Facilities are great, lighting is excellent, and the team who present the stream are amongst the very best at what they do so can stay based there.. 

And of course the racing is superb..

Similar to how Basketball did it in the states, ie one venue..

It may need a domestic rider only league to get round any restrictions that may exist but at least it would give a full season, and hopefully plenty of people paying to watch their teams..

The Championship could do something similar on two other nights at one, or even two, of their best tracks for racing...

A weekly ticket for say two matches a week at something like a tenner would be popular I would think and wouldn't just attract the fans from the teams on show..

Four teams race one week in the Premiership and four teams race the next, meaning each team rides once a fortnight..

Poland got a fair few viewers this year but to be honest the racing didn't excite the way it usually does so maybe this 'captured audience' could migrate over to domestic speedway a couple of nights per week if the product is good..

And the NSS pretty much guarantees it is..

Only think you've missed is a retractable roof to weatherproof the stadium :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Only think you've missed is a retractable roof to weatherproof the stadium :D

That was one for later...:D

Seriously, the stadium could be bedecked in huge sponsors information covering the empty terracing and maybe Eurosport would do an hours highlights programme once a week covering both meetings..

As the season pans out I am sure more would watch as play off places get sorted with fans from all teams still with a vested interest in any match paying to watch the streams..

With generic speedway fan neutrals (and there are lots) also being enticed to watch meetings "that mean something"..

It would keep the sport in the overall public domain and, using the NSS's main assets of modern stadia and great track, would be a tremendous brand ambassador for it..

The problem with your brilliant ideas, as I see it, is getting a consensus of British promotors to agree to it. I can see that being the stumbling block.

i think all racing at NSS would bring in a good turnover from the streams, such that if there were 2 visiting teams there should be something in it for the promotors.

• Like 1

No more 6 man races!

Poor old Nigel and Kelv would be seriously struggling If six riders are chopping and changing positions during a race, and casual or new fans will have no chance whatsoever of identifying and following the riders in such close contact for the duration of just over a minute per race.

Ivan Mauger was pushing this concept at Hyde Road 35 years ago for his retirement meeting declaring that fans were bored and needed something different.

He was wrong and common sense prevailed.

The first serious accident caused by 6 man races would finish this folly for ever.

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

You could be on to something with that.  The only problem is Belle Vue is the only track in the country where you could host a proper 6 man race with genuine racing/passing opportunities.

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Why not just stick all 14 out for a 'Royal Rumble' style end or perhaps a Rollerball type last man standing winner takes all finale ;)

Just caught up with this, cracking meeting well worth a tenner. Good commentary altho I am a fan of Nige and Kelv as well. 4 rider races are speedway so no more gimmicks. I would certainly pay for a Belle Vue streaming pass but not sure anywhere else