British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Peter Craven Memorial (Belle Vue) 21.03.20

2 hours ago, chunky said:

I don't think the "size" of the track is as important as the width. As has been said, six riders are normal on the small American tracks, but a track like Hull (the Boulevard) was narrow even for four!

You think Hull was bad? You should have seen Paisley :D

16 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Good luck with that at Wolves, Leicester and many others... just because something works once doesn't make it a good idea and this definitely isn't one   

He's suggesting all Premier matches be held at and streamed from Belle Vue. 

Self-proclaimed track anorak here.  While, I believe 1948 / 49 Hedon was similar to Sheffield, the Boulevard straights, according to the annuls of speedway foklore and seemingly which tape measure was used B), were 24ft/ 7.3m or 25ft / 7.6m, with seriously wide bends, albeit with entries & exits a tad on the narrow side.  The track was widended slightly on Ivan's arrival (and on his insistance) in the of winter 1977. Craven Park was a better shape overall the straights were, as confimed & measured by my good self (told you I'm a track anorak), 28ft / 8.5m with bends around twice that.  Don't think it was ever particularly warm at Hull, apart from THAT summer in 1976, though 1995 wasn't too bad. Oh and the Belle Vue NSS is freaking brilliant.

Boulevard 1971...

Boulevard Start Bhnd.jpg

Edited by martinmauger
Pics, spelling
  • Like 1

(Text Editor issues whilst trying to load track pics) Paisley....

Paisley Start Behind 1976.jpg

Edited by martinmauger
Pic

Craven Park circa 2002, admittedly not exactly over-wide but the pic elongates it somewhat as I flipped it from the near horizontal, like I said it was 8.5m on the straight, think the minimum SCB limit was 8m, 10m for FIM spec.

Craven Park 2002.jpg

Edited by martinmauger
added info on width

Original pic off Google Maps from turns 3 & 4, there is now a stand in the foreground....

CP Frm Air.jpg

7 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

If you look at MikeBV post he mentioned 6 rider races BEFORE the suggestion to have all matches at NSS next year if meetings are a no go like this year.

11 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Hmm now i wonder which team would benefit the most from this happening,  

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Hmm now i wonder which team would benefit the most from this happening,  

Well the Aces obviously but Mike’s post makes a lot of sense IF spectators aren’t allowed in next year and all monies come from streaming, Belle Vue is possibly the only track in the UK I would pay to stream a meeting from, certainly the only one in the Premiership. You are almost guaranteed good racing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Well the Aces obviously but Mike’s post makes a lot of sense IF spectators aren’t allowed in next year and all monies come from streaming, Belle Vue is possibly the only track in the UK I would pay to stream a meeting from, certainly the only one in the Premiership. You are almost guaranteed good racing. 

Weather conditions are the main cause of reduced quality racing. the track is without doubt a brilliant track to watch racing.

We had a Colts meeting, I think versus Stoke from memory, where the rain did a lot of damage to the track and subsequent preparation. they went ahead and got the meeting on. A poor meeting due to the conditions but at least we saw a meeting and I’d not have a wasted journey.

There is nothing worse than letting the fans in and later abandoning the meeting... it does a lot of damage re maintaining floating supporters.

20 hours ago, martinmauger said:

(Text Editor issues whilst trying to load track pics) Paisley....

Paisley Start Behind 1976.jpg

There was in the day awee bit controversy about track width at Love Street.

There was in the day a wee bit controversy about track width at Love Street.

• Haha 1

Indeed there was, one nite v Newcastle the away management insisted on a spot of mid-meeting track widening on the home straight.  Ironic given Ian Thomas reccomend the SCB official use his (Thomases) own tape measure to ensure all was a-ok with the Boulevard track on Hull's opening in 1971 ( see my earlier post)  Still, all good fun....

Paisley Turn 3 1976.jpg

Edited by martinmauger
Pic added

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I think the narrowest track I have seen racing at was Romford. 

with a concrete wall for a safety fence I seem to remember.