British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Len Read RIP

Forwarded message: 

Tony Hurren to WSRA World Speedway Riders Association
I have just taken a telephone call from Pamela Maureen Hedge informing me that former Norwich, Plymouth and Liverpool rider, Lenny Read, passed away today after a short illness at the age of 102. He was a life member of the World Speedway Riders' Association.

Lenny rode briefly for Norwich immediately after World War II but a bad injury ended his career with The Stars. He switched to Plymouth in the National League Division 3 in 1948 where he scored 344 points and increased this to 427 points the following season. In 1950 Plymouth rode in the NL Division 2, but Lenny's good form continued with 218 points.

Plymouth didn't open for the 1951 season so Lenny joined Liverpool in the NL Division 2 and he was still good enough to notch up 211 points. He again rode for Liverpool in 1952. but suffered an injury early in the season that ended his career.

Lenny was a remarkable man who could talk articulately about every aspect of his speedway career, his wartime experiences and how he handled life after his speedway career ended.

He is featured in Karl Fiala's Where Are They Now series and I'm sure Karl, when he reads this, will post it on this site as a tribute to Lenny.

Until the last two years Lenny was a regular at the Norwich Speedway reunion lunches. To illustrate what the man was like, last year, he booked a ticket for the lunch but was unable to make it. He insisted on sending his ticket money to Pamela to boost the fund.

The photograph shows Lenny with the legendary five times World Speedway Champion Ove Fundin at the 2017 Norwich lunch. It was an occasion when presentations were made to Lenny in the run-up to his 100th birthday on January 8th, 2018.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and suit

Edited by Guest

So sorry to hear that. I became quite friendly with Len over the years. He was always a very happy and cheerful sort with a great sense of humour. I used to enjoy our little get-togethers.

Still, one thing I suppose you can say was that he had a good innings and was still fit and with-it almost to the end.

R.I.P., Lenny. You've earned it.

• Like 3

Sad news indeed. I never had the pleasure of seeing Len ride, I'm much too young, but did get to chat to him at the Speedway dinners at Norwich. A lovely gentleman, who will be sadly missed by all those that had the pleasure of meeting him. My condolences go to all his family and friends.  R.I.P. Len.

• Like 1

As Jim Morrison said "Nobody gets outta here alive" but at least Len gave it a good shot-like Kirk Douglas!! RIP Len.

• Like 1