British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

44 minutes ago, screm said:

Spain records 838 deaths in the last twenty four hours and they have been on a two week lock down.

769, 832, 838, the last three days.

A two week lockdown might prevent some spread but was not effective for those already infected, maybe 100,000 to 600,000 existing cases, and it’s some of those that are dying.

That could produce 1,000 to 24,000 deaths (1% to 4%) depending on the demographics.

They’re at 6,524 now.

Spain, like Italy, has lots of old people living in extended families and close proximity and quite probably a high percentage of smokers. [24%, Just checked]

Italy has 24% smokers, the UK 15%.

Edited by DC2

If we can believe China, they have reported

81,394 cases

74,972 recovered

3,295 dead

Context:

14,282,000 people have died this year.

3,152,000 from communicable diseases (Passed from one human to another)
118,000 from seasonal flu

33,000 from Covid-19

Pneumonia takes on average 30,000 lives a year in the UK.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 4

Agreed...

• Like 1

Have I missed the headlines of the death rate plummeting/tumbling or even in freefall in the UK?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vince said:

As I've said before my friend is a theatre nurse and given that they currently aren't undertaking routine operations is spending much of her time with ICU patients including some with Coronavirus. She is thoroughly confused as to whether this is a massive over reaction or a serious threat at the moment. On the one hand at work they are preparing for worst case scenarios, increasing ventilated bed spaces tenfold and putting wards aside for emergency space. On the other they are being downgraded with regards to the PPE required when working with infected patients (very likely to lack of availability as much as any risk assessment).

The idea of hospitals making so much equipment disposable rather than washable is coming home to roost for sure. One example being face visors which were initially said to be necessary rather than goggles, they are a throwaway item because of the foam on the front of the headband. Surely one small example of waste in the NHS, the visors could easily be washable with a very low cost replaceable foam strip.

She also knows of a couple working in the Australian health service over there who returned from the UK at the start of this. Apparently they self quarantined on their return and both felt a little off colour and had a slight temperature for a couple of days. They decided to get tested and indeed were both positive but they would not normally even appear in the figures.

Personally I am still of the opinion that this is being blown out of all proportion and as others have pointed out the death rate includes everybody who has the virus, even if they get run over by a bus it seems. I don't hold with the conspiracy theories rather a media hyped mass hysteria.

Finally while I think the government has done a god job so far in that they have followed the available advice from genuine experts it does seem that the letter is just a complete waste of time and money.

Having time to think about it I do perhaps wonder it the Government is about to step up the restrictions already in place and by mailing each household a letter with their reasoning being that there'll be no excuse in anyone not adhering and therefore suffering severe reprimands if breaking any of the conditions?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Having time to think about it I do perhaps wonder it the Government is about to step up the restrictions already in place and by mailing each household a letter there'll be no excuse in anyone not adhering and therefore suffering severe reprimands if breaking any of the conditions?

Quite agree. It can't do any harm to read it in your own home, rather than ignoring the tele broadcasts. People criticising him/them for doing it are just desperate for a political dig and nothing else.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Having time to think about it I do perhaps wonder it the Government is about to step up the restrictions already in place and by mailing each household a letter with their reasoning being that there'll be no excuse in anyone not adhering and therefore suffering severe reprimands if breaking any of the conditions?

That would make sense and, as long as 'all' people understand or can even read the letter,  things should be fine. But I've a hunch that not everyone will.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jrs said:

Who are these dickbrains who think its a good idea to waste £6m on sending a letter to every household, which could easily be dealt with by email or broadcast,

Seems you had no problem when Cameron spunked £9 million sending letters asking us to stay in the eu. You far left eu loving idiots have no sense of irony.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Quite agree. It can't do any harm to read it in your own home, rather than ignoring the tele broadcasts. People criticising him/them for doing it are just desperate for a political dig and nothing else.

Good to see your still here, hows the tunnel coming along,,, av got a couple of old spoons you could have/borrow  ;)

11 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Good to see your still here, hows the tunnel coming along,,, av got a couple of old spoons you could have/borrow  ;)

I'd rather be indoors that ootdoors at the moment. Let the silly buggers infect someone else, preferably someone else disobeying the rules.  :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I'd rather be indoors that ootdoors at the moment. Let the silly buggers infect someone else, preferably someone else disobeying the rules.  :P

According to the NHS letter I got  Wednesday, i'm at risk of severe illness if I catch it. Apparently I have to stay at home for "at least" 12 weeks :blink:. Well the wife don't drive and it's a 9 mile round trip to the  nearest supermarket. I will drive her there and have to sit in the car. So it's get there  tomorrow at 5.15am for 6am opening, so the wife can get in, grab the weekly shop and get out asap I guess :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

According to the NHS letter I got  Wednesday, i'm at risk of severe illness if I catch it. Apparently I have to stay at home for "at least" 12 weeks :blink:. Well the wife don't drive and it's a 9 mile round trip to the  nearest supermarket. I will drive her there and have to sit in the car. So it's get there  tomorrow at 5.15am for 6am opening, so the wife can get in, grab the weekly shop and get out asap I guess :unsure:

Seeing that you don't live in Newcastle, it wasn't directed to you. :D

• Like 1