British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

56 minutes ago, DC2 said:

The BBC yesterday produced a chart saying the UK was second in the world to Portugal in Covid deaths per million people.

I thought, when did Portugal get so bad and overtake not only the UK but Belgium also?

But, of course, the BBC was wrong.

Portugal has 1,082 deaths per million, the UK about 1,470, and Belgium 1,797.

Portugal isn’t even in the top fifteen in Europe!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not quite. Portugal has the highest number of new cases and new deaths over a 7 day period . The UK is second to that apart from small states like Andorra. Clearly the 7 day period is the important one at the moment, not everything going back to last March.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dj350z said:

Where does it get this information from DC? It would be interesting to see it's source.

Worldometer gets its info from the official statistics published by each country.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I don't know, but I would take a wild guess it's the current rolling 7-day average, as Portugal sadly seems to have a real increase in cases and deaths recently, which is very sad, because each of those is a loss of a life and devastating to their family and friends.

Does it is really matter who's highest of which table?  Rather than wetting yourself over death statistics, maybe you should just grieve for those who have died, both from Covid and non-Covid. There's nothing anything any of us can do, and posting ghoulish statistics may not be helping the mental health of others.

No, it wasn’t the seven day rolling average.

First they used a chart showing total deaths, then they used one showing total deaths per million, basically to show how much worse we are doing than the USA.

15 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Not quite. Portugal has the highest number of new cases and new deaths over a 7 day period . The UK is second to that apart from small states like Andorra. Clearly the 7 day period is the important one at the moment, not everything going back to last March.

Yes, but they weren’t showing that.

Presumably that’s where they got their chart wrong.

17 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Worldometer gets its info from the official statistics published by each country.

No I meant the BBC report/chart DC?

Edited by dj350z

27 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

There's nothing anything any of us can do, and posting ghoulish statistics may not be helping the mental health of others.

I get what your trying to say, but DC's posts will only be seen by a handful of the population that might read the posts. Whereas, there is a hell of a lot more ghoulish statistics everywhere, everyday being churned out by media and politicians which may be affecting the mental health of a lot more.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

I get what your trying to say, but DC's posts will only be seen by a handful of the population that might read the posts. Whereas, there is a hell of a lot more ghoulish statistics everywhere, everyday being churned out by media and politicians which may be affecting the mental health of a lot more.

I’d agree with that. Tragic tho 100,000 deaths are, it seemed to be all any of the media have focussed on for the last 24 hours. It’s sad, especially for the loved ones but for heavens sake it’s in the past, let’s focus on the here and now. There is good news out there but it seems the media really don’t want to find it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Star Lady said:

I’d agree with that. Tragic tho 100,000 deaths are, it seemed to be all any of the media have focussed on for the last 24 hours. It’s sad, especially for the loved ones but for heavens sake it’s in the past, let’s focus on the here and now. There is good news out there but it seems the media really don’t want to find it.

Yes

We had a psychologist on tv the other day saying how the negative news is always at the front. At the moment continuous talk about problems with the vaccine, but if you looked back 9 months or so ago it seemed impossible that we would even have a vaccine so quickly and now we have 3 or 4......

• Like 3

Planet clown...:rofl:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dj350z said:

No I meant the BBC report/chart DC?

Judging by how inaccurate it was I’d hazard a guess at Iris or Tsunami?  :D

23 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

That’s been true throughout the pandemic.

They’ve been interested only in presenting Covid in the worst possible terms.

It’s never been measured.

Did they even think yesterday to tell the public that another 500,000 people had died or to lament their loss or to sympathise with their families?

No. It was all about Covid and how terrible it is.

• Like 1

Straight from the horses mouth...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Look how these ratios have changed:

100,000 deaths within 28 days of a positive test

103,000 deaths with Covid on the death certificate

99,000 excess deaths compared to the 5 year average

45 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

And the point that I always try to make is that it’s important to have accurate figures.

Rather than ones cherry-picked, massaged or adjusted for propaganda.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1