Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

Recommended Posts

Here’s a fairly grim Sky News analysis:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-the-data-suggests-the-uk-is-on-course-for-many-thousands-of-deaths-11966517

Personally, I take almost the opposite view from looking at the figures and am optimistic that we will suffer fewer deaths than Spain and Italy, or certainly no more given our bigger population.

The backdrop though is still the comparison with flu deaths.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Here’s a fairly grim Sky News analysis:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-the-data-suggests-the-uk-is-on-course-for-many-thousands-of-deaths-11966517

Personally, I take almost the opposite view from looking at the figures and am optimistic that we will suffer fewer deaths than Spain and Italy, or certainly no more given our bigger population.

The backdrop though is still the comparison with flu deaths.

 

The UK deaths will hit 25000 :neutral:

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

The UK deaths will hit 25000 :neutral:

 

Can’t see that myself.

But it would be on par with a bad flu year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

The UK deaths will hit 25000 :neutral:

Perhaps  even  higher, though  we  will  never  know  for sure.  Some  elderly  folk dying in the  community, with or without  corona, (we  can`t test)  are  not  added to the  figures  reported, which are  hospital  deaths  only.  Just  like  with influenza, we  make a best  guestimate  and  allow  grieving  families  to  do  what  is  pragmatic and  humane  without  resort  to  posthumous  testing  or  post  mortem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, jrs said:

I'm surprised that you're not talking about things closer to home like your post of 5 deaths out of 31 cases in Swindon ! Approx. 16% death rate in Swindon. Is it malnourishment that's causing it ?

 

Just checked and King's Lynn's QEH hospital had 40 positive tests up until  March 30th ( can't see any more up to date stats for positive tests), But as of today April 2nd, there has been 12 deaths including 2 more today :(

Can't work a percentage out because I can't find how many positive tests after March 30th. But that looks like it could be a pretty high percentage rate to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DC2 said:

 

I don’t know, but there has been a movement to support British farming with “Buy British” campaigns, farmer’s markets and even supermarkets proclaiming that they source local produce to combat unnecessary global movement/climate change.

And you can see now that British companies, like Dyson, JCB, McLaren and Ineos, are being used to develop breathing equipment.

Might not 3D printing and AI counter-act the Asian cheaper employee base?

Sounds like you're still living in the 70's and 80's

The world is bigger than the British Isles and that is why we are so reliant on countries like China now and will be even more so in the future after the final break with the EU.

Supermarkets may claim their produce is local, but look closely and you'll find the vast majority of the products are the same as are sold nationally by that chain. There are only a few meagre items in my local supermarkets that could be considered local. Small independent local producers just cannot play ball with the demands of supermarket buying departments unless they have a truly exceptional product.

People in East Anglia and Lincolnshire will certainly find plenty of local grown produce in there local supermarkets ;)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Just checked and King's Lynn's QEH hospital had 40 positive tests up until  March 30th ( can't see any more up to date stats for positive tests), But as of today April 2nd, there has been 12 deaths including 2 more today :(

Can't work a percentage out because I can't find how many positive tests after March 30th. But that looks like it could be a pretty high percentage rate to me.


I believe Swindon has 7 deaths now out of 31 hospital cases, but according to the stats we should have between 2,000 and 6,000 infected people.

So the death rate is actually between 1 to 3.5 per thousand infected or 7 out of 200,000 population.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, jrs said:

Sounds like you're still living in the 70's and 80's

The world is bigger than the British Isles and that is why we are so reliant on countries like China now and will be even more so in the future after the final break with the EU.

Supermarkets may claim their produce is local, but look closely and you'll find the vast majority of the products are the same as are sold nationally by that chain. There are only a few meagre items in my local supermarkets that could be considered local. Small independent local producers just cannot play ball with the demands of supermarket buying departments unless they have a truly exceptional product.

People in East Anglia and Lincolnshire will certainly find plenty of local grown produce in there local supermarkets ;)


Don’t worry, Victor Meldrew,  I’m well aware that you never talk up Britain, the British economy or our prospects! 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, jrs said:

Sounds like you're still living in the 70's and 80's

The world is bigger than the British Isles and that is why we are so reliant on countries like China now and will be even more so in the future after the final break with the EU.

Supermarkets may claim their produce is local, but look closely and you'll find the vast majority of the products are the same as are sold nationally by that chain. There are only a few meagre items in my local supermarkets that could be considered local. Small independent local producers just cannot play ball with the demands of supermarket buying departments unless they have a truly exceptional product.

People in East Anglia and Lincolnshire will certainly find plenty of local grown produce in there local supermarkets ;)

 

 

But sadly, a good proportion of it will be left rotting in the fields.. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, DC2 said:


Don’t worry, Victor Meldrew,  I’m well aware that you never talk up Britain, the British economy or our prospects! 

 

 

10 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

But sadly, a good proportion of it will be left rotting in the fields.. 

Their point about local producers makes sense tho, as the big supermarkets do have a lot of power,,, probly a lot more than many people think.

Share this post


Link to post

New cases is high again in UK. 

We're nowhere near any peak by looks of it, death totals will only increase.

We're simply doing neither one or the other. 

We're locking down enough to destroy the economy, jobs and lives, whilst still sending enough people out and about to ensure the virus travels unabated.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

New cases is high again in UK. 

We're nowhere near any peak by looks of it, death totals will only increase.

We're simply doing neither one or the other. 

We're locking down enough to destroy the economy, jobs and lives, whilst still sending enough people out and about to ensure the virus travels unabated.

And they still allowing incoming passenger flights from New York, Italy and China. Madness ...

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not so very long ago.. 

Edited by YerRopes

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

And vice-versa of course, although apparently that would be fair competition. 

Does it really matter where stuff comes from, provided there's a reasonable balance of trade? There's certain British products I prefer (e.g. whisky), just as there's certain foreign products I prefer and that's consumer choice.

At the moment I'm stuck with about four choices of white wine because of the ridiculous protectionist policies of where I'm currently living. All very well saying it's supporting local industry, but I might actually buy more wine if I had a wider choice of grape varieties and that would benefit the retailers. 

I thought the Brexiteers claimed the EU had made everything more expensive? Now you're saying prices actually need to increase? :rolleyes:

I have no idea if meat in Poland using British cattle is misleadingly labelled, then again I doubt that there is any financial advantage in sending cattle to Poland. However if anything is being deliberately mislabelled in order to pretend it is from one place rather than another it's wrong whether in the UK or EU.

I've never claimed the EU made everything more expensive. I have on the other hand always said that the need to pay proper prices for foodstuffs is urgent, the supermarket chains are decimating small British farmers which will eventually be of detriment to us all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

Just checked and King's Lynn's QEH hospital had 40 positive tests up until  March 30th ( can't see any more up to date stats for positive tests), But as of today April 2nd, there has been 12 deaths including 2 more today :(

Can't work a percentage out because I can't find how many positive tests after March 30th. But that looks like it could be a pretty high percentage rate to me.

As I understand the situation there are certain “hotspots “ where it is more prevalent than others. Therefore you can’t extrapolate the figures from one hospital nationwide. However if Kings Lynn QEH is typical it’s looking pretty serious.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy