British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

3 hours ago, Fenway Bleachers said:

I agree, island nations without busy travel hubs who were quick to act and do the track and trace thing have minimised the damage. 
Unfortunately the UK can only tick the first criterion. 

Did NZ and Australia have many people returning from Wuhan or Italy in January and February?

Apparently we did quarantine our Wuhan returnees on 30 Jan, even if we didn’t impose national measures until late March, but we obviously missed those returning from Italy.

One day soon, people will look at Sweden and recognise that the cause of lockdown ... is lockdown itself.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Did NZ and Australia have many people returning from Wuhan or Italy in January and February?

Apparently we did quarantine our Wuhan returnees on 30 Jan, even if we didn’t impose national measures until late March, but we obviously missed those returning from Italy.

I understand that once the Taiwanese flagged up human to human transmission, late Dec 2019, the Aussies acted. The WHO ignored this advice.

As late as mid February NERVTAG, advised SAGE that the Wuhan authorities had things in hand and there was no need for closing borders.( It was possible to fly from Wuhan to London, but not to Beijing.) We were hoodwinked by WHO wisdom, and falsely reassured by their advice at the time. Airport screening came too late. 
Flights from Italy and soon after Madrid were similarly waved through. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blupanther said:

One day soon, people will look at Sweden and recognise that the cause of lockdown ... is lockdown itself.

A comparison of Sweden and its neighbours

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/coronavirus-lockdowns-are-still-a-step-too-far-for-sweden-1.4473119?mode=amp&fbclid=IwAR3vsRAQaNqCWusBYsJT3qdZPCNTz-TFAcd7BYBgqCK6jSvFQ7kSU-n00uU

• Like 1

Denmark introduces corona vaccine

According to Danish TV2, Denmark can introduce a so-called corona passport. The details of how it will work will be presented on Wednesday morning.

But roughly speaking, it is about information if you have been vaccinated or if you have tested positive for antibodies, TV2 experiences.

The Director of the Danish Chamber of Commerce, Brian Mikkelsen, believes that a corona pass will open up, primarily for industry.

- There, a vaccine and corona pass would mean that you can start opening up Denmark. It gives hope and so many Danes see light in the tunnel.

The vaccine and corona passports will be digital and will initially apply to business travelers. It will be used in about a month.

So much for Devi Sridhar’s insistence on a zero Covid policy, having said last June that Scotland’s schools should be re-opened if Scotland’s cases fell to 20 a day!

Edited by DC2

Great news that vaccinated people seem unlikely to be able to transmit the virus but it looks like protection levels have slipped from 95% to 76% or 82%:

“We knew that Covid-19 vaccines stopped some people getting ill from the virus. But we didn't know whether the vaccines stopped people catching and spreading it. On Tuesday evening, a study - which has not been formally published - said the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab had a "substantial" effect on transmission, as well as reducing the chances of getting ill. Health Secretary Matt Hancock hailed the news as "absolutely superb". The study, by the University of Oxford, swabbed people every week to test for the presence of the virus. If there's no virus it cannot spread - and the numbers testing positive halved once they had been given two doses. The study also seems to support the UK government's decision to wait longer between doses, in order to give more people the first jab sooner. Protection remained at 76% three months after the first dose. This rose to 82% after people were given the second dose. Read more about the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine here - or watch the video below.”  BBC

BBC reports the banning of the Ryanair “Jab and go” advert.

After completely failing to report the banning of the government’s “joggers and dog-walkers are highly likely to have Covid” advert!

Hypocrisy.

• Like 8

My friend's grandad is in a care home and had the vaccine a couple of weeks ago but they are now in hospital with the virus. There are a few more who have also got the virus. I am not sure which vaccine they had and I know this will be like the flu jab where when you have it you can probably still get it but hopefully not the full blown thing but still does not sound great :(

6 minutes ago, Richspeedway said:

My friend's grandad is in a care home and had the vaccine a couple of weeks ago but they are now in hospital with the virus. There are a few more who have also got the virus. I am not sure which vaccine they had and I know this will be like the flu jab where when you have it you can probably still get it but hopefully not the full blown thing but still does not sound great :(

Maybe because protection doesn’t accrue until three weeks?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richspeedway said:

They've said from the start that it takes about 2 weeks from when you get it for the symptoms to begin to show, so he would have had it before he had the vaccine. This has been part of the problem with it spreading.

15 minutes ago, Grachan said:

They've said from the start that it takes about 2 weeks from when you get it for the symptoms to begin to show, so he would have had it before he had the vaccine. This has been part of the problem with it spreading.

I was told it takes up to 3 weeks for immunity to build when I had my jab.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 2

The vaccine doesn't stop you getting the virus though, just the worst effects of it, I thought ?

The good and maybe bad news in some cases with the latest news that you are unlikely to pass on the virus afterwards is the discussion will then start in earnest about rights for those who are vaccinated. The talk of a vaccine pass as in Denmark. Those who have been infected or vaccinated can then go about things as normal, whilst those who haven't, can't.  Because here at least they are talking about the start of September before everyone who wants the vaccine will have had the chance to get it.......and well, that is if all goes well and no delays etc

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Badge said:

Oh noooo RIP Captain Tom :(

Yes, so sad, he seemed such a sweet and humble old man. I'm glad he got to live life a little in his final year.  

• Like 3