British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

12 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

I spend most of my spare time with our dogs in the countryside, because I find them far more intelligent and interesting than leftists, climate alarmists and virus alarmists. I find that animals think and behave far more rationally than most climate and CONVID alarmists.

A reminder that facial coverings are a way to control people, not viruses...

Only one observational study has directly analyzed the impact of mask use in the community on COVID-19 transmission. The study looked at the reduction of secondary transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in Beijing households by face mask use (10). It found that face masks were 79% effective in preventing transmission, if they were used by all household members prior to symptoms occurring. 

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (4546141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.

The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce Re to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained. Economic analysis suggests that mask wearing mandates could add 1 trillion dollars to the US GDP 

31 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

I spend most of my spare time with our dogs in the countryside, because I find them far more intelligent and interesting than leftists, climate alarmists and virus alarmists. I find that animals think and behave far more rationally than most climate and CONVID alarmists.

A reminder that facial coverings are a way to control people, not viruses...

I take it the dogs don’t get out much then?

• Haha 9

Dr. Kierstin Kennedy, chief of hospital medicine at the UAB Hospital in Birmingham, told ABC News on Tuesday that the state’s COVID hospitalizations are dropping. “But unfortunately, it’s not because all of them are getting better and going home to their families… These patients are dying,” Kennedy told ABC News.

In Alabama, over the last week, there were 2.16 COVID deaths per 100,000 residents added to the state’s official death toll, which placed it as the deadliest state per capita in the nation, according to tracking by The New York Times.

Alabama also has the fourth-lowest rate of fully vaccinated residents in the nation, at 41.7 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Edited by iris123

On the news this morning I hear that cancer treatments are now back at pre-pandemic levels. However IF they can now increase that treatment rate by 5% it will still be 2033 before the backlog is cleared. 

For arguments sake we could say that untreated cancer will increase deaths by 10% (which would seem to be a conservative estimate) that will be about an extra 182,000 people who die let alone hundreds of 1000's who will spend the rest of their lives very much worse off than they would have been with prompt treatment. That is cancer alone, reckon in heart disease and all the other illnesses where patients haven't been treated because of Covid and the ongoing shambles in so many GP surgeries and I cannot see that it is a price worth paying under any circumstances.

• Like 9

Well the husband and wife team from Biontech were on tv last week and were very hopeful of developing vaccines with the mNRA technology.

One trial is already going to stage 2 with 120 people 

https://investors.biontech.de/news-releases/news-release-details/biontech-announces-first-patient-dosed-phase-2-clinical-trial/

14 hours ago, Blupanther said:
Sweden has announced they will NOT be implementing covid passports, and in a few days almost all remaining restrictions will be removed.

Sweden never locked down, never closed schools and never had face nappy mandates...

Well what you don't mention is the measures that remain are mainly for the unvaxxed :D and the last point has been wrongly interpreted as ever by you. Denmark however have used the pass, but scrapped it now the pandemic is ended

The ministers confirmed that Sweden would definitely go ahead with previously announced changes from September 29th, including the removal of audience limits at all public events, the removal of all remaining restrictions for restaurants and bars, and the removal of the Public Health Agency’s recommendations for the general public such as to work from home if possible.

However, for people aged over 18 who are not yet fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (unless they have a medical reason not to be vaccinated), further restrictions apply. People in this group will still need to follow recommendations to avoid crowding and close contact with other people.

“Unvaccinated people must continue to adapt their life after September 29th by not visiting bars, restaurants, events where there may be crowding, for example,” said Carlson.

He said that regions had been asked to look into areas and groups with low vaccination rates, noting that “because of an uneven rate of vaccination coverage, we will see cluster outbreaks”.

Throughout the press conference, all three repeated the importance of vaccination in maintaining a low spread of Covid-19 in Sweden, and urged members of the public to get their vaccine.

“You can help other people to get an appointment, or if you are going to a party, check that others there are vaccinated,” advised Hallengren.

No vaccination pass will be used to regulate entry to events or to other businesses, but the government has not ruled out that it may be used

An interesting article to put more meat on the bones of the life expectancy topic I have raised a few times. The lockdown Scandinavian countries have had little effect. Norway even increased their life expectancy against the trend

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58659717

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

An interesting article to put more meat on the bones of the life expectancy topic I have raised a few times. The lockdown Scandinavian countries have had little effect. Norway even increased their life expectancy against the trend

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58659717

Merely a dull exercise for the mathematicians with no impact on anyone else, caused by frail old people dying a year or two early.

“Despite the name, these life expectancy figures, known as "period life expectancy", do not predict an actual lifespan.  Instead, they show the average age a newborn would live to if current death rates continued for their whole life.  And as Covid death rates are unlikely to continue long-term, the new estimates do not mean a boy born in 2020 will have a shorter life than one born in 2019.”

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

However, for people aged over 18 who are not yet fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (unless they have a medical reason not to be vaccinated), further restrictions apply. People in this group will still need to follow recommendations to avoid crowding and close contact with other people.

Is that a quote from the actual rules in Sweden or your own words?

When it says “further restrictions apply” is that compulsory restrictions (like the UK) or merely “recommendations” guidance (as Sweden tends to have)?

• Like 1

Frail old people die every year. It is important on that it shows the impact the virus had around the world. And also the impact Covid measures had in a number of countries like Denmark, Norway, Finland and Estonia. All neighbours of Sweden and all countries Blu and his groups avoided mentioning like the plague B)

16 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Is that a quote from the actual rules in Sweden or your own words?

When it says “further restrictions apply” is that compulsory restrictions (like the UK) or merely “recommendations” guidance (as Sweden tends to have)?

It is from the English-Swedish news site The Local 

I would guess it is continuing the recommendations and appealing to common sense, and obviously keeping the option of a vaccine pass open, if that doesn’t work

41 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Frail old people die every year. It is important on that it shows the impact the virus had around the world. And also the impact Covid measures had in a number of countries like Denmark, Norway, Finland and Estonia. All neighbours of Sweden and all countries Blu and his groups avoided mentioning like the plague B)

But life expectancy is not the way to do that.

Excess deaths is the way. 

Although they would have to be fairly presented (against say both a five year average and a thirty year one, and, to assess “unprecedentedness”, against the worst year in say the last fifty) and they would have to have a standardised definition of say “within 28 days of a positive test with a ct no higher than 30 and being the primary cause of death as certified by a physician who had treated the deceased”.

Edited by DC2

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It is from the English-Swedish news site The Local 

I would guess it is continuing the recommendations and appealing to common sense, and obviously keeping the option of a vaccine pass open, if that doesn’t work

Recommendations, not compulsory laws.

If only we’d done that.

• Like 1

Just now, DC2 said:

Recommendations, not compulsory laws.

If only we’d done that.

Tried it and people just ignored. Same as in Germany. I mean a lot of people ignored the rules, let alone the recommendations. U fortunately you just can’t appeal to people’s better nature or common sense in many countries

Think they announced over €4 mill in Covid fines just in Hamburg 

• Like 1