British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

1 minute ago, YerRopes said:

Read somewhere today that there has been one new case in China both yesterday and today.. 

Whether that's true of course, is a different matter.. 

True, I'd be sceptical... but when you see Apple re-opening all stores, JCB have re-started production there... that suggests things are much improved.

Some interesting data:

On average around 7500 die daily in the USA. As per the CDC 7.1% of those are  influenza/pneumonia related. That's 532 a day.

48 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It was more an observation on predicting what is going to happen next. Just look at what other countries have done 

In a way he was getting praise from some on here for doing things differently and taking the good medical advice. In reality imo, all he has done is dither

I don’t think anyone is giving him praise as such. There are those who consider themselves to be experts in virus modelling and control , and others who do not claim to be experts but do accept it is a marathon not a sprint, and that we are where we are and the success or otherwise of the Governments strategy can only be judged with hindsight when it’s over. On an issue of this magnitude there will no doubt  be a full inquiry in due course. 

If anyone else was in Government they would have the same advice from pretty much the same experts has Johnson has.  Ministers can only take advice from experts  .  It’s a pretty dire situation and worrying for many but none  of us on here are experts in virus control even if one or two imagine they are.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 5

Interesting: Small Italian town of 3,300 people cuts coronavirus cases to zero after authorities forced the WHOLE population to have repeated tests. Test test test...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YerRopes said:

Be careful criticising Johnson or the Govt, you'll upset quite a few on here.. :rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot that democracy and free speech has now gone out of the window. The joys of living in a dictatorship. :blink:

Hope you're still getting some sort of holiday out there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JC71 said:

@iris123

Any truth in the story that in Germany people are stockpiling Sausages and Cheese?

No idea. Haven’t heard anything. Don’t buy sausages, so haven’t noticed. But was enough cheese in the supermarket yesterday

But stockpiling most things, but particularly things that keep for a while

28 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Interesting: Small Italian town of 3,300 people cuts coronavirus cases to zero after authorities forced the WHOLE population to have repeated tests. Test test test...

Tests act as a vaccine ?

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No idea. Haven’t heard anything. Don’t buy sausages, so haven’t noticed. But was enough cheese in the supermarket yesterday

But stockpiling most things, but particularly things that keep for a while

..... sorry, this is bad, but I'd heard people in Germany were preparing for the Wurst Kase scenario......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Tests act as a vaccine ?

It isolates positive people from people who have not contracted it. Millions of people are housebound for no good reason, and i'm one of them. Stepson sent home because he had a cough and all of us are under 'house arrest'. He works for the NHS and wasn't tested, if they had tested him there is a good chance he would have been negative and the rest of us would be free to keep the wheels of industry turning ...

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

:mad:

Did anyone notice anything in that clip???

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Some interesting data:

On average around 7500 die daily in the USA. As per the CDC 7.1% of those are  influenza/pneumonia related. That's 532 a day.

Do you have similar stats for Italy where 475 died of the virus today.

Edited by HertsRacer

34 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Do you have similar stats for Italy where 475 died of the virus today.

Of course, we can't go by simple totals alone. There are many other factors like percentage of deaths, and population density. Here are some figures I found.

20 - average deaths from flu daily 

331 million - US Population

60 million - Italy Population

94 people per m2 (population density US)

532 people per m2 (population density Italy)

0.0% - Italians without access to healthcare

8.5% - Americans (2.8 million) without access to healthcare.

Population density is perhaps the most telling factor, particularly when you look at the regions where the coronavirus deaths are occuring.

Edited by chunky