British Speedway Forum
jrs

Covid-19 Are we being told the truth ?

22 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

Trying to work out why the Government wouldn't make the testing of all NHS workers an absolute urgent priority.

Could it be they're scared that they will get results they don't want ending up in them losing more of an already overstretched workforce to isolation?:unsure:

Time to self diagnose and self medicate if required?

• Like 1

Fountains Abbey on behalf of the National Trust have decided based upon Government advice to keep their gardens and open spaces open free of charge to allow people to exercise and gain access to fresh air. Their shops, cafes, houses etc however will be closed until further notice and to quote a statement on their website "The well being of our staff, volunteers and visitors remain our top concern".

Edited by steve roberts

The really frightening thought is that if all the over 65s are wiped out - admittedly a tragedy - it’s going to be just me and King Kenneth Speed left on here.  :)

With apologies to MattK, the Doctor and Pinny.  :)

Edited by DC2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Dont really think anyone has the answer right now.

Total isolation Chinese style clearly works but when they re-start essentially the problem is still there it has not gone away

Allow everyone to get Infected "herd method" initial UK style so that you end up with vast majority immune from this strain and then have to treat possibly 5% of the population rather than 100% of the population is perfectly logical but nothing logical about persuading 65,000,000 people it's possible 

The answer will lie somewhere in the middle and a vaccine.....but that may only be temporary IF the virus mutataes....

30 years ago HIV was going to end the world according to doom-mongers....only now have they found a genuine vaccine and this coronovirus is far harder to stop transmission of in every day life...

Very worrying times and as each day goes by speedway seems less relevant...be lucky to start 2021 season I think - write 2020 completely off. 

Don’t disagree. I just wondered what the point of holding up an unnamed village in Italy with 3,000 residents as an example of anything ? One doctor and probably 2 policemen can look after the place and cut it off from the world. We don’t even know if there were any cases there to start with.....

They are cutting of the German islands. Tourists had to leave yesterday and none are allowed on any more. That is relatively easy to do. But not so easy to translate to Manchester or Glasgow

Today, for the first time since this broke, there are zero new cases in China.

South Korea not out of the woods - a new spike today with 152 new cases. But maybe that is because of their thorough testing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Today, for the first time since this broke, there are zero new cases in China.

South Korea not out of the woods - a new spike today with 152 new cases. But maybe that is because of their thorough testing.

I think we can safely discount any numbers coming out of China:cry:

Just now, Wolfsbane said:

I think we can safely discount any numbers coming out of China:cry:

I suspect they are being more honest than Russia.

• Like 1

Michel Barnier's got it now.

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I suspect they are being more honest than Russia.

Anyone know how many in North Korea?

Just now, Badge said:

Anyone know how many in North Korea?

Even less than in Eswatini, where they have one case.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, RedOx69 said:

I have Covid-19 and I can assure you that we have not been told the truth and that there was/is inadequate management of the situation. The government could have shut the country down weeks ago and limited the spread. It chose not too and to take a policy of assuming that a large percent will get it and then it will die out due to people becoming immune. What they failed to consider is that in order for this to be effective 250000 will die. Now that this has been realised they have changed policy but it is too late.

Now for my own experience; I was admitted into hospital late last week after a visit from the paramedics. I spent 6 hours in the wards unsupervised as they tested me. I was tested for everything except corona, ( "we don't test for corona in the UK anymore" ). After 6 hours the doctor told me that all other tests are negative so it has to be corona (but as it hasn't been officially confirmed, as we no longer test in the UK for corona, it doesnt get listed as a confirmed case in the statistics). After reacting well to the IV I was told to go home and self isolate until it has passed. In questioning how I get home, the doctor recommended a taxi. I asked what type of taxi driver will take a corona patient who was still being sick, to which he had no answer. So I was in the hospital, confirmed by the doctor as having corona and what did they do? The answer; nothing, I was left in the public areas and had free access to roam. I was sick several times in the public bathrooms and nothing was done about it, no attempt to clean or sanitise leaving everybody else exposed. When I was deemed OK to be discharged, I was shown an open door to the main public area, where I was subsequently immediately sick again.

Have the government played this well? No, they took an ill advised high risk strategy that will lead to thousands of deaths. They didn't want to learn from the Chinese example because at a time when the economy is struggling they didn't want to be seen as the government to take steps to put more pressure on. They can always blame corona afterwards if things get really bad rather than taking a proactive approach.

Are the health services prepared. No, my own experience indicates that inadequate processes are in place to limit the spread. 

Are the numbers being covered up? Yes, we have no real idea of the true numbers as almost all testing has deliberately stopped which makes favourable reading for the media releases.

Is they proper screening at the airports? No, I was already sick when coming through UK borders on Friday. I wasn't sick when we took off but took a bad turn on the plane. No one checked me. I have travelled to other countries in the last few weeks and they were all screening. 

Have we we been giving a false sense of security and are still living in denial? Hell yes, most in the UK now, as a result of not reacting and taking the learnings from elsewhere, coupled with an ill advised high risk strategy will get it.

I wish you all good luck, trust me it isn't pleasant....and not going away soon

Didn't a famous person once say, 'never educate the masses' ?

We don't know how this will all end up, but am pretty sure that strategies, to deal with this have been being put in place for some time now.

7 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

We don't know how this will all end up, but am pretty sure that strategies, to deal with this have been being put in place for some time now.

Compared to Spanish territories, the UK Govt has and is doing very little with regard to the disease itself. 

Get well soon RedOx.. 

Edited by YerRopes

7 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

Compared to Spanish territories, the UK Govt has and is doing very little with regard to the disease itself. 

Get well soon RedOx.. 

Hmmm ... quite the opposite.  I think you’ll find we’ve sent some of our most troublesome characters to the Spanish territories!  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1