British Speedway Forum

Will the speedway season be effected with all the riders flying in and out of Europe sometimes up to three times a week?

• Like 1

Was thinking about this myself, in rugby some of the 6 nations games have been postponed and in italy major football matches are cancelled. Our government are advising against large public gatherings and that may impact on sporting events including speedway.

What Speedway wouldn't give for a "large public gathering"!!! No danger in Speedway being effected in that way... I'd be more concerned on how much of the fan base is left after this lergie has been and gone :blink:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Well one considers that factories may be considered as being a large public gathering, then speedway would likely come under that heading, lets hope that this doesnt need to be invoked for Speedway, but peoples health has to come over and above entertainment.

• Like 1

While complacency is unwise a little caution needs to be taken before going overboard.

The current death rate from Coronavirus is 2% of victims globally, 3,000 in total but 90% in China. With a world population of 7.8 billion you have a  i in 2.6 million risk of dying from it. This could of course change. Just 300 people have died from the virus outside China. 

The last flu pandemic was SARS which had a five times higher death rate of 10%. I don't recall public events being cancelled then.

A death rate of 1 in 2.6 million would produce about 25 deaths in the UK. Even if it hit the same rate as SARS you would be looking at just over 100. That's not a pleassant number. One death is to be mourned.

The UK average annual deaths from the common flu viruses is 17,000, based on recent figures. On that basis and current 'logic' all public events in Britain should be permanantly banned and everyone should work from home.

Of course the infection/death rate of Coronavirus may well increase but right now I think there's a lot of media-fed hysteria going on. 

Me, I'd rather go on the advice of medics rather than journalists but then I'm old-fashioned....

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 2

Think the rugby was cancelled because they didn’t want fans traveling to Ireland from the problem zone of North Italy.The Italian Matches called off were also in that area. Apart from that all I have seen are international event where people are coming from around the world. Speedway doesn’t come into that category. No large fan contingent from China or Italy. Only when you get to the GP’s is it really international.and as long as flight crews are traveling in and out and staying overnight in different countries and are not cancelled then it is ok.

So far all I have seen are flights being cancelled because people are put off flying 

Just seen fans from certain areas of Milan and surrounding suburbs are not allowed to travel to Turin for tomorrow’s game, but Turin fans are ok....

Edited by iris123

4 hours ago, iainb said:

What Speedway wouldn't give for a "large public gathering"!!! No danger in Speedway being effected in that way...

What about the SON and the GPs?

51 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

While complacency is unwise a little caution needs to be taken before going overboard.

The current death rate from Coronavirus is 2% of victims globally, 3,000 in total but 90% in China. With a world population of 7.8 billion you have a  i in 2.6 million risk of dying from it. This could of course change. Just 300 people have died from the virus outside China. 

The last flu pandemic was SARS which had a five times higher death rate of 10%. I don't recall public events being cancelled then.

A death rate of 1 in 2.6 million would produce about 25 deaths in the UK. Even if it hit the same rate as SARS you would be looking at just over 100. That's not a pleassant number. One death is to be mourned.

The UK average annual deaths from the common flu viruses is 17,000, based on recent figures. On that basis and current 'logic' all public events in Britain should be permanantly banned and everyone should work from home.

Of course the infection/death rate of Coronavirus may well increase but right now I think there's a lot of media-fed hysteria going on. 

Me, I'd rather go on the advice of medics rather than journalists but then I'm old-fashioned....

What you're forgetting though is that there's a vaccine for common flu, there is no vaccine for Coronavirus and there is a 2-3 week incubation period where people could be spreading it not even knowing they've got it. If you've not already seen it, watch Contagion: The BBC Pandemic, I think it's still available on iPlayer... then come back to me without being hysterical :lol: 

13 minutes ago, False dawn said:

What about the SON and the GPs?

I was "trying" to be funny

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

I was "trying" to be funny

I got it. But mine was a serious question. If the authorities are considering school closures and banning large meetings of people at sporting events, the SON at BV must be under threat. GPs elsewhere could be also be affected.

21 minutes ago, iainb said:

What you're forgetting though is that there's a vaccine for common flu, there is no vaccine for Coronavirus and there is a 2-3 week incubation period where people could be spreading it not even knowing they've got it. If you've not already seen it, watch Contagion: The BBC Pandemic, I think it's still available on iPlayer... then come back to me without being hysterical :lol: 

You're the one being hysterical.

• Thanks 1

Limit tickets to 5,000 for SON and don't allow any Italian riders, mechanics or officials ( sorry Armando ) and you should be OK. Not too many domestic matches ever draw anywhere near 5,000 ( except for the playoffs on a very good night ). and Except for that very optimistic person counting at Swindon, where there are usually close to that figure it is claimed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

One should also consider that the vast majority of those 2% had pre-existing health conditions too.. some even died from other causes but happened to have Coronavirus at the time..

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I got it. But mine was a serious question. If the authorities are considering school closures and banning large meetings of people at sporting events, the SON at BV must be under threat. GPs elsewhere could be also be affected.

being serious though... I suppose it depends on what you define as "large"

16 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

One should also consider that the vast majority of those 2% had pre-existing health conditions too.. some even died from other causes but happened to have Coronavirus at the time..

So let em die then?... as long as you get your Speedway fix

• Thanks 1