British Speedway Forum

Just now, iris123 said:

Exactly. A prediction, r as I said, guess.......and vaccines are regularly updated/changed as the flu mutates.....

and it takes around a year

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

and it takes around a year

And over the past few years there have been shortages of vaccines anyway.......

Just now, iris123 said:

And over the past few years there have been shortages of vaccines anyway.......

so we've all had it :rofl: at least I got to see Leicester win the league... in Speedway & Football :party:

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

When we're talking about flu, I'm assuming we're talking about seasonal flu and the vaccine inoculates against multiple variants on what is predicted to be the most prevalent

So.. there's a vaccine.. and there's still 12-16,000 died from it in the US..

Whereas the one without a vaccine has killed 2 in the US.

• Haha 1

So far in this century, like a cat with 9 lives I've managed to survive

Mad cow disease (not the 80's version, the new one from the middle of last year)

Sars (another coronavirus)

TB

Ebola

a Flu pandemic

Possibly Brexit - although that might be premature.

and probably more that I cant remember.

All of which according to the press were likely to result in vast swathes of people dropping dead worldwide. (possible exception for Brexit but I thought it was funny)

As a child of the 60's there are another 39 years before that where I was fortunate enough to survive all sorts of certain death such as lead paint, wrapping asbestos string around exhausts and working on asbestos brakes, walking through a workplace without a bright yellow vest on, lifting more than 25kg all on my own and so on.

So no matter what the press and internet tell me I'm going to keep riding my luck and carry on just as I am without giving a toss :D

Edited by Vince
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, iainb said:

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group.

In general, relatively few cases are seen among children.

Mmmmmmm - I wish you hadn't posted this Chart. I'm far too near the to for my liking. :sad:

;)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Mmmmmmm - I wish you hadn't posted this Chart. I'm far too near the to for my liking. :sad:

;)

I'm passing from one band to the other in June, so I hope it's gone by then :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I'm passing from one band to the other in June, so I hope it's gone by then :D

Me too. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vince said:

Mad cow disease (not the 80's version, the new one from the middle of last year)

TB

Ebola

a Flu pandemic

All of which according to the press were likely to result in vast swathes of people dropping dead worldwide. (possible exception for Brexit but I thought it was funny)

As a child of the 60's there are another 39 years before that where I was fortunate enough to survive all sorts of certain death such as lead paint, wrapping asbestos string around exhausts and working on asbestos brakes, walking through a workplace without a bright yellow vest on, lifting more than 25kg all on my own and so on.

So no matter what the press and internet tell me I'm going to keep riding my luck and carry on just as I am without giving a toss :D

You missed HIV (aids). 

13 hours ago, Vince said:

TB

Ebola

a Flu pandemic

A well written obituary for someone who never makes any kind of a risk assessment. A life lived withour a care in the world.

• Haha 1

I'm not actually thinking fans I'm thinking of the riders flying in and out of Europe on a weekly basis! Will it get to a stage where they all start getting stranded!

23 minutes ago, bdjfan said:

I'm not actually thinking fans I'm thinking of the riders flying in and out of Europe on a weekly basis! Will it get to a stage where they all start getting stranded!

Once the outbreak is out of control there's no real point in travel restrictions, the horse has bolted... it will then be down to the vulnerable to look out for themselves

38 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

A well written obituary for someone who never makes any kind of a risk assessment. A life lived withour a care in the world.

I actually had to write risk assessments for Motocross tracks....that was a pretty silly thing to have to worry about too!

It's possible to pick and choose the things you worry about. Until and unless this virus becomes a serious risk to a reasonable number of us I choose to worry about other things. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vince said:

I actually had to write risk assessments for Motocross tracks....that was a pretty silly thing to have to worry about too!

It's possible to pick and choose the things you worry about. Until and unless this virus becomes a serious risk to a reasonable number of us I choose to worry about other things. 

When you say us... you mean you?

• Like 1