British Speedway Forum

34 minutes ago, bdjfan said:

I'm not actually thinking fans I'm thinking of the riders flying in and out of Europe on a weekly basis! Will it get to a stage where they all start getting stranded!

Who can say ? As I posted yesterday fans from Milan are banned from traveling to Turin today for a match, but obviously the players from Milan aren’t ......

But there are some cyclists stranded in the Middle East somewhere and were thinking of going on hunger strike !!! And hoping the press could put pressure to allow them to carry on their season ....

You may get certain towns/cities declared exclusion zones, IF things get really bad.

It seems the government is lining pretty draconian powers and may restrict people's movements.

If that happened, the country would be a serious position and speedway would not be the first thing of people's minds.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, iainb said:

When you say us... you mean you?

No, us is plural so obviously I didn't mean me!

I meant us as a country generally and if an outbreak happened in the far North I could equally mean us in the south.

But I meant a significant risk to this country in reality not in press and internet scare stories.

I have a couple of trips due this year. One is to Germany in April. The other involves changing flights in Hong Kong.

The general feeling seems to be, that Hong Kong is risky. There's the case of the Rugby player who has pulled out of training with the England squad today because he changed flights in Hong Kong.

But, if you look at the figures, I would say Germany and the UK are actually a greater risk than Hong Kong airport.

Hong Kong is now on 100 cases. Germany is nearly double that. The UK is getting a lot of cases recently and is now over half as many people as Hong Kong - where it seems to have virtually stopped in recent weeks.

By June I think flying via Hong Kong will not be a problem. Maybe I should worry more about going to Germany? Or even staying in the UK and getting the tube in London?

Or is it a lot of fuss over a bad cold?

They seem to think it could peak in May / June time and seem to be pushing towards delaying until then for the reasons that warmer weather reduces the spread and impact and that the NHS will be more able to cope. I guess it also builds in time for contagian to lessen possibly and for some kind of vaccine to be found.

It would seem sports events in late may / June / July are currently more at risk so if Speedway fans decide it's safe to do so on a person by person basis at least the season should start and get to some point in late May on the current model. I would think what happens in Poland and Scandinavia will dictate a lot of travel plans for our sport in particular.

Can see some bumper early crowds if people think Sport could be affected in mid summer!

17 hours ago, YerRopes said:

12-16K (depending on source) have died of flu in the US this winter. 

Puts things in perspective a bit. 

Mortality rates for seasonal flu is 0.1%

Government says mortality rate for coronavirus will be 1%

The maths of the current mortality rate is around 3.5%

Do the maths

Just now, iainb said:

Mortality rates for seasonal flu is 0.1%

Government says mortality rate for coronavirus will be 1%

The maths of the current mortality rate is around 3.5%

Do the maths

Many people will have had this and had it mildly. Those cases might not have been tested, particularly in countries where getting a test is expensive. So the 3.5% is probably a lot higher than reality.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Many people will have had this and had it mildly. Those cases might not have been tested, particularly in countries where getting a test is expensive. So the 3.5% is probably a lot higher than reality.

The same applies for recorded figures of other illnesses.  Surely it has to be based on reported cases, so for reported cases of seasonal flu, 0.1% of people die.  Statistics never really tell the whole story but I agree with what point I think you're making in that there is unjustified panic over this outbreak.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

I have a couple of trips due this year. One is to Germany in April. The other involves changing flights in Hong Kong.

The general feeling seems to be, that Hong Kong is risky. There's the case of the Rugby player who has pulled out of training with the England squad today because he changed flights in Hong Kong.

But, if you look at the figures, I would say Germany and the UK are actually a greater risk than Hong Kong airport.

Hong Kong is now on 100 cases. Germany is nearly double that. The UK is getting a lot of cases recently and is now over half as many people as Hong Kong - where it seems to have virtually stopped in recent weeks.

By June I think flying via Hong Kong will not be a problem. Maybe I should worry more about going to Germany? Or even staying in the UK and getting the tube in London?

My young lady lives and works in Hong Kong and they have a total - so far of ...100 infections. The UK will catch that up over the weeknd! The most recent problem in Hong Kong was an infected Brit flying in and then catching the train to Shenzhen while infected and merrily infecting Hong Kongers and Chinese people alike. Straight into quarantine there. Which we have never bothered to do so far at UK airports!. At the HK airport - less risk than Heathrow!

4 hours ago, Grachan said:

But look at the size of Germany compared to Hong Kong Airport and double the amount is nothing even if you take the whole of Hong Kong into account. By those numbers you would certainly have more chance of coming into contact with the virus in HK

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

But look at the size of Germany compared to Hong Kong Airport and double the amount is nothing even if you take the whole of Hong Kong into account. By those numbers you would certainly have more chance of coming into contact with the virus in HK

Although the numbers in UK and Germany are increasing at a more rapid rate than in Honkers. I think it's all probably fairly regionalised at the moment regardless of which country you are in.

1 minute ago, Grachan said:

Although the numbers in UK and Germany are increasing at a more rapid rate than in Honkers. I think it's all probably fairly regionalised at the moment regardless of which country you are in.

That is true. I think some villages/towns in Germany have more cases than some Cities. Not 100% sure, but Hamburg had 1 case. And that was someone who lived outside and worked in Hamburg. So he sort of got counted twice at one stage, both for Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, where he lives

Just now, iris123 said:

That is true. I think some villages/towns in Germany have more cases than some Cities. Not 100% sure, but Hamburg had 1 case. And that was someone who lived outside and worked in Hamburg. So he sort of got counted twice at one stage, both for Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, where he lives

Where in Germany is it mostly? I'm due to go to the Frankfurt/Heidelberg area.

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Where in Germany is it mostly? I'm due to go to the Frankfurt/Heidelberg area.

Think North Rhein Westfalia is most affected, which probably isn't a surprise considering the large population there. But Hessen, where you are heading also has 12 confirmed cases. I think here is the whole of North Germany, i.e Hamburg Bremen,Schleswig-Holstein, Lower Saxony and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern there aren't as many. 6 or 7 I think...

Update :24 now in the north, 5 in Hamburg

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

The news yesterday that Zielona Góra has the first case in Poland, and that all mass events in the city, including sport have been cancelled for the next two weeks must be worrying for speedway in Poland. 

We are at a point now where if cases increase, as seems likely, sport will happen behind closed doors, if at all. Certainly in Poland at any rate. 

Edited by stewmac