British Speedway Forum

9 hours ago, iainb said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/51777154

I wonder if Rob Godfrey has been invited? :rofl:

This is contrary to comments made by the Chief medical expert when interviewed on all major News yesterday who said  that large gatherings of up to 70,000 in a stadium was lesser risk than 20 people in a Church Hall or School or Doctors Surgery, due to the spread in only very close personal contact and in an indoor environment and that there would be no benefit to cancelling big event outdoor gatherings.

The Daily Tripe (Mail) say that sporting event crowds will be limited to 500 - that should suit Mr Godfrey perfectly to keep Scunthorpe running but not many other Tracks.

The crunch point may be Easter and if any closedown comes it won't be a perfect April Fool and no joke for riders (who wont earn any money), Promoters (who will have to sit and wait with very little income coming in) and supporters with nothing to watch.

Can't see how speedway can work "behind closed doors" can anyone??

• Sad 1

Not sure how that works. If I am at the Docs I have one person sitting next to me on the right and one on the left. Ok I might pick up a magazine that many people have touched but apart from that no real contact. If I am at a concert or football game I have a group behind me,  group in front of me, people next to me on both sides, plus all those squeezing past to go to the toilets or get food etc and queuing to get in and out

But what I heard was as long as you weren’t in an area infected then a local concert or cinema visit etc wasn’t as dangerous as in international event..

But a trip to the supermarket or on the tube is just as innocuous or dangerous, depending on your outlook. The thing is, it is what is essential ? Doctors visits and jobs are, leisure to an extent not so, although obviously people work in the leisure industry as well. But we tried to book a table at a restaurant and it was full, so not everyone is panicking and staying at home

38 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not sure how that works. If I am at the Docs I have one person sitting next to me on the right and one on the left. Ok I might pick up a magazine that many people have touched but apart from that no real contact. If I am at a concert or football game I have a group behind me,  group in front of me, people next to me on both sides, plus all those squeezing past to go to the toilets or get food etc and queuing to get in and out

But what I heard was as long as you weren’t in an area infected then a local concert or cinema visit etc wasn’t as dangerous as in international event..

But a trip to the supermarket or on the tube is just as innocuous or dangerous, depending on your outlook. The thing is, it is what is essential ? Doctors visits and jobs are, leisure to an extent not so, although obviously people work in the leisure industry as well. But we tried to book a table at a restaurant and it was full, so not everyone is panicking and staying at home

Blimey! You get to see a doctor? To make an appointment to see a doctor at my local surgery there are so many loops and hoops to negotiate I've given up trying.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 3

The next of the ‘lethal’ viruses to hit the UK which everybody is worrying about. Thanks to the scare mongering media.

No doubt we will still be having this discussion when the next ‘killer’ virus hits our shores in the next few years.

Meanwhile the common flu will still kill more vulnerable people this year. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stevebrum said:

The next of the ‘lethal’ viruses to hit the UK which everybody is worrying about. Thanks to the scare mongering media.

No doubt we will still be having this discussion when the next ‘killer’ virus hits our shores in the next few years.

Meanwhile the common flu will still kill more vulnerable people this year. 

But this virus in the UK is now twice as lethal as Michael Barrymore's pool 

• Haha 4

I have no concerns over the virus, what does concern me is any potential over reactions to the virus affecting me going to Warsaw. Paid everything on non refundable rates.... lol

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 9:15 PM, teaboy279 said:

I have no concerns over the virus, what does concern me is any potential over reactions to the virus affecting me going to Warsaw. Paid everything on non refundable rates.... lol

Yeah and i have booked for Gdansk, which is looking like a no-goer now. I believe i read somewhere Italy have banned any events where 1,000 or more would expected, so were the UK to do similar then Speedway will be affected.

The important thing there is the bit about Premier League think they might  have to play in an empty stadium within 2 weeks o so depending on the situation. Sure they can get away with it as can  F1 and some other sports. I doubt speedway could though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

The important thing there is the bit about Premier League think they might  have to play in an empty stadium within 2 weeks o so depending on the situation. Sure they can get away with it as can  F1 and some other sports. I doubt speedway could though

Be "devastating" if Liverpool win their first title in 30 years in front of 'nobody'.

I will be gutted for them....:D

In reality of course there will be thousands who attend the occasion outside the stadium to celebrate, so not really sure what the point would be?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Be "devastating" if Liverpool win their first title in 30 years in front of 'nobody'.

I will be gutted for them....:D

In reality of course there will be thousands who attend the occasion outside the stadium to celebrate, so not really sure what the point would be?

Or they null and void the league just when they're on the brink :rofl:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Or they null and void the league just when they're on the brink :rofl:

If Carlsberg made Premier Leagues..:D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

No way could speedway get by running meetings in front of empty stadiums.  They simply dont have the income from elsewhere to cover the costs

13 minutes ago, Rocket87 said:

No way could speedway get by running meetings in front of empty stadiums.  They simply dont have the income from elsewhere to cover the costs

I wonder if the PL will be contractually obliged to by Eurosport B)

With my wife having cancer in both lungs and me having a lung disease, I won't be travelling far to watch speedway or anywhere else outside my Norfolk base.

• Like 1