British Speedway Forum

If the government ban gatherings of more than 500 people most domestic speedway meetings should be unaffected. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If there is a 500 limit and that includes speedway, it would be quiet novel to see fans being turned away from some tracks. :D

6 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

If there is a 500 limit and that includes speedway, it would be quiet novel to see fans being turned away from some tracks. :D

Nah. Put 500 on the Home straight and 500 on the back straight, and tell them not to mingle. :D

7 hours ago, BWitcher said:

It's highly probably that thousands of us have got it or already had it.

Let's face it, if you have a bit of a cough and a mild cold do you rush to your doctor? No.

If you called the dedicated lines in England with mild symptoms, you are told to stay at home, you aren't tested.

The only country that has adopted a thorough testing process is South Korea. They've tested 140,000 so far and as a result the death rate works out at 0.76% there. Even then they haven't tested everyone as mentioned above, many with the milder symptoms won't get tested, so the actual death rate will be lower.

As you say, it is estimated that up to 10,000 are infected but are not displaying symptoms (the incubation period is 5 days) or experience mild symptoms. The problem is these people are still contagious and are infecting others as they go about their daily lives.

There is a lot of focus on the death rate, however it is a bit more complex than that. For example, figures from China suggest that 20% of those who contract the virus require hospital treatment. Reports from Italy suggest their healthcare system in the north is at breaking point with not enough isolation rooms in hospitals to avoid infection of other patients and healthcare workers and shortages of ventilation machines and respirators.

Another slightly ironic issue in Italy is that even before the outbreak they had a shortage of around 3,000 intensive care professionals. Now where have we heard about healthcare worker shortages before?

13 minutes ago, MattK said:

As you say, it is estimated that up to 10,000 are infected but are not displaying symptoms (the incubation period is 5 days) or experience mild symptoms. The problem is these people are still contagious and are infecting others as they go about their daily lives.

There is a lot of focus on the death rate, however it is a bit more complex than that. For example, figures from China suggest that 20% of those who contract the virus require hospital treatment. Reports from Italy suggest their healthcare system in the north is at breaking point with not enough isolation rooms in hospitals to avoid infection of other patients and healthcare workers and shortages of ventilation machines and respirators.

Another slightly ironic issue in Italy is that even before the outbreak they had a shortage of around 3,000 intensive care professionals. Now where have we heard about healthcare worker shortages before?

Figures say that 20% of those tested positive for it require hospital treatment.

There's the significant difference, it is very mild in the majority of cases.. mild enough that you wouldn't even bother going to a doctor or getting it checked.

I agree about those with mild symptoms still being infected and going about their daily lives.

South Korea is the only country to have done significant testing, including as many as possible with the mildest of symptoms. 

It's a serious issue for those in the problem groups.. what irks me is insane people (and I've come across them) screaming their child is in danger going to school. No they're not, they're about as likely to get run over by a car as to die from coronavirus... it's them carrying the virus to those more vulnerable that is the issue... as you mentioned.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

It's a serious issue for those in the problem groups.. what irks me is insane people (and I've come across them) screaming their child is in danger going to school. No they're not, they're about as likely to get run over by a car as to die from coronavirus... it's them carrying the virus to those more vulnerable that is the issue... as you mentioned.

While I agree with you, children are surely able to transmit the virus, even though they may not suffer badly from it. With a significant number of teaching staff who are in their later years, and therefore presumably also possibly with health issues ( I speak as one myself, along with several others in my small school) there must be a good chance of infection and problems for them too. 

What irks me a bit today is that while the W.H.O. has been calling urgently for all countries to act aggressively to slow things down, here in the UK we seem happy to take little dramatic action as yet. This could have fatal consequences for many.

3 minutes ago, stewmac said:

While I agree with you, children are surely able to transmit the virus, even though they may not suffer badly from it. With a significant number of teaching staff who are in their later years, and therefore presumably also possibly with health issues ( I speak as one myself, along with several others in my small school) there must be a good chance of infection and problems for them too. 

What irks me a bit today is that while the W.H.O. has been calling urgently for all countries to act aggressively to slow things down, here in the UK we seem happy to take little dramatic action as yet. This could have fatal consequences for many.

It's a balancing act. If you close schools then people have to take time off work which hurts the economy and people who work in healthcare are not available at a time when the health service needs them most.

Given that we are 4 weeks behind Italy we have a nice little case study we can follow. If our infections rates continue at the same rate as Italy's were 4 weeks ago then we know we have to take decisive action and the timings of Italy's actions show us when we should take certain steps. As it stands our infection rate is growing at around 20%, whereas Italy's was 35% before they announced their effective shutdown, which suggests we are no where near in as bad a state as they were.

• Like 3

Just as a matter of interest, How will medical cover be affected, will medical cover be available to hold meetings? The way things are going it's going to be" all hands on Deck" to keep the NHS running.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattK said:

As it stands our infection rate is growing at around 20%, whereas Italy's was 35% before they announced their effective shutdown, which suggests we are no where near in as bad a state as they were.

Again I agree with the majority of your reply. However, there is no way we as a country can now keep an accurate track of our infection rate now the advice given today which stated that if you have symptoms, just self isolate and don't bother calling the doc or 111. 

Speedway should take a lead and delay the start of the season. The sport has the mentality of a non league football club. No one goes, so no one will be affected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pvm said:

Just as a matter of interest, How will medical cover be affected, will medical cover be available to hold meetings? The way things are going it's going to be" all hands on Deck" to keep the NHS running.

God point, not thought of that.

I think It is blindingly obvious that the season will not be going ahead as planned despite statements to the contrary.

The UK government policy at this stage is only delay the progress of the virus as far as possible so that the most draconian of measures are only needed further down the line and for the shortest time posssible. But all the advice they are working to is that it is still inevitable they will come in.

In a couple of weeks time that will include all events like speedway for almost certain and the restrictions will they have to stay in place through April and in to May. That is when the peak of it all is expected.

Those countries that have set off doing this as early as now will just face having the worst measures in place for the longest duration.

But... All sports will be closed at some point soon because the sportsmen and associated workers will be going down with the virus themselves and isolating. That will make the 'sport' redundant.

In addition emergency measures relating to ambulance/paramedics (even private ones) will take the decisions out of of the sports authorities hands.

Quite quickly we will be recognising just what this means ... No SGB, no SGP and no SON.

We are fooling ourselves to think otherwise and should start preparing for a limited sporting schedule in high summer and beyond. 

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me that schools closing are likely to put many of the more vulnerable in harms way as in so many cases Grandparents will be taking on the childcare. So in a classroom where one vulnerable teacher might be at risk from say 30 students we could have 20 or 30 grandparents at risk from the same children. Whatever measures you take to try and limit the spread will always have consequences and the very best you are gong to do is slow it down a bit.

My opinion is that we should let the majority of the population carry on as normal and put all resources into testing and helping the most vulnerable. Those people could be receiving some very good care already if those who are very unlikely to suffer more than a dose of flu weren't so selfish.

Speaking to somebody working on the NHS helpline last night and she was telling me how at one time they had 200 calls waiting and dropped 2000 calls. People waiting an hour to chat about their cold and a GP refusing to see a vomiting child supposedly because of coronavirus when it's not even a symptom. How many of those dropped calls were from people in genuine need of help who were put at risk by the same selfish morons that think toilet rolls are the answer?

It is mass hysteria whipped up by the press and now politicians have been put under pressure to act solely because of the public concern created.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Vince said:

Seems to me that schools closing are likely to put many of the more vulnerable in harms way as in so many cases Grandparents will be taking on the childcare. So in a classroom where one vulnerable teacher might be at risk from say 30 students we could have 20 or 30 grandparents at risk from the same children. Whatever measures you take to try and limit the spread will always have consequences and the very best you are gong to do is slow it down a bit.

My opinion is that we should let the majority of the population carry on as normal and put all resources into testing and helping the most vulnerable. Those people could be receiving some very good care already if those who are very unlikely to suffer more than a dose of flu weren't so selfish.

Speaking to somebody working on the NHS helpline last night and she was telling me how at one time they had 200 calls waiting and dropped 2000 calls. People waiting an hour to chat about their cold and a GP refusing to see a vomiting child supposedly because of coronavirus when it's not even a symptom. How many of those dropped calls were from people in genuine need of help who were put at risk by the same selfish morons that think toilet rolls are the answer?

It is mass hysteria whipped up by the press and now politicians have been put under pressure to act solely because of the public concern created.

You paint a very accurate picture of the situation out there and the sub optimal response of many people and groups .... But it is the reality of how a population DOES respond and it is that very reality that the policy makers have to bear in mind when making their decisions.

Wishing for it to be otherwise is friutless.

at the moment cant see sporting events even getting of the ground just have to see what happens I suppose