British Speedway Forum

Don't understand the panic and pessimism on here.

Leave it to the EXPERTS who seem to believe that large or small outdoor crowds are not an issue and that for the time being events can go ahead. IF a Speedway rider gets the virus, no doubt his Club(s) should have a different view as Arsenal have had with their manager.

Its up to the individual to decide, I'm going to Birmingham if it's on and will take the risk.

What's the point of closing schools??. Keep the little blighters together in groups of their own age range and self isolate if any get symptoms. Why, because if schools are closed the little blighters are far more likely to be running about surrounded by older folk like me who they are far more likely to infect in Sainsburys between 9 and 5 if they are unleashed.

Once you impose a ban on sport, how long does it last, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks..I think if you ban speedway until July/August, then you will kill half the clubs as people will find something else to do and won't return for a meaningless 1/2 season. If it has to close, it has to close, but panic never won any argument.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, HGould said:

Leave it to the EXPERTS who seem to believe that large or small outdoor crowds are not an issue.

The problem is precisely that its not being left to the experts and the panic mongers must be appeased..

The media has a section of the public too scared now. Some believe its a death sentence if their 14 year old daughter catches it.. yet there is more chance of them being run over by a car than dying from coronavirus.

As for imposing all the bans on sports, realistically, if you're doing that over 4800 deaths.. it should never run again in the winter. I read that the CDC figures showed influenza deaths to be over 60,000 in the same time period as Covid-19 has killed 4800.

Forget the differences between the two for a moment, and imagine if the media were hyping 60,000 deaths... 

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The problem is precisely that its not being left to the experts and the panic mongers must be appeased..

The media has a section of the public too scared now. Some believe its a death sentence if their 14 year old daughter catches it.. yet there is more chance of them being run over by a car than dying from coronavirus.

As for imposing all the bans on sports, realistically, if you're doing that over 4800 deaths.. it should never run again in the winter. I read that the CDC figures showed influenza deaths to be over 60,000 in the same time period as Covid-19 has killed 4800.

Forget the differences between the two for a moment, and imagine if the media were hyping 60,000 deaths... 

Agree with you that the media have everyone running scared. I, my husband and especially my daughter are in the high risk groups but intend to carry life on as normal as much as possible but taking sensible precautions.

As for large gatherings, I think they will be banned but more to give the emergency services a break than for infection control. Paramedics etc will be stretched to the limit in the near future so standing about at concerts/sports events etc is not a good use of their time in these circumstances. Health workers etc will be in the front line of this and we should be grateful to them all. 

Seems UK football cancelled until 3rd April at least

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/coronavirus-england-vs-italy-denmark-cancelled-wembley-tickets-refunds-a9399686.html

A statement from The FA read: “The FA, Premier League, EFL and FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.

“This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the Covid-19 virus.

“It will also apply to all England team fixtures at every level and all FA competitions including the FA Cup and the Women’s FA Cup, along with academy and youth-team matches.

Edited by LesR

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Leave it to the EXPERTS who seem to believe that large or small outdoor crowds are not an issue and that for the time being events can go ahead. IF a Speedway rider gets the virus, no doubt his Club(s) should have a different view as Arsenal have had with their manager.

Its up to the individual to decide, I'm going to Birmingham if it's on and will take the risk.

What's the point of closing schools??. Keep the little blighters together in groups of their own age range and self isolate if any get symptoms. Why, because if schools are closed the little blighters are far more likely to be running about surrounded by older folk like me who they are far more likely to infect in Sainsburys between 9 and 5 if they are unleashed.

Once you impose a ban on sport, how long does it last, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks..I think if you ban speedway until July/August, then you will kill half the clubs as people will find something else to do and won't return for a meaningless 1/2 season. If it has to close, it has to close, but panic never won any argument.

My earlier post was neither expressing panic nor pessimism ... Just the reality of the world situation we are now in for the next few months. Not days and weeks.

I wholeheartedly agree with the ridiculous business of closing schools ... But once they are closed at the levels of infection we have on closure date It will be a impossible to open again until the infection levels are actually REDUCED ... That will not be until mid summer.

Varadkar is saying they are shut in Ireland until March 29 ... Utter BS. The infection rates then will be greater on that date than today. The truth is that than once the decision is taken to close the same people will not be able to open again until the end of the school year has arrived.

The UK approach so far seems the most sensible.

But the plans we have in the UK will still involve these major closedowns in the weeks to come. And that is not because of media led panic. That is what the science does predict. 

• Like 2

British ice hockey league now cancelled, polish speedway due to start April 3 almost certain not to start, big doubts on the GP.

BRITISH SPEEDWAY STATEMENT: CORONAVIRUS UDPDATE

Friday March 13, 2020
british_speedway.jpg
A NEW season of British Speedway will start as planned this weekend.

The British Speedway Promoters’ Association can confirm there are no plans to cancel, postpone or otherwise change the running of our fixtures at this moment in time.

We are closely monitoring the situation and it is business as usual following the information broadcast by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday afternoon.

As an association we will continue to work from the advice handed down by the government regarding the ongoing situation.

We would urge all riders, staff and supporters to continue to adhere by the advice regarding frequent washing of hands in soap and water and avoiding contact with anyone who has a fever or cough.

We also remind people of the government advice regarding even mild symptoms, if you feel this is the case please stay at home for seven days.

In the meantime, we look forward to a successful staging of the Speedway Riders’ Benevolent Fund meeting at Scunthorpe on Saturday and hope substantial funds are raised for this most worthwhile cause.

Share This:   Facebook Twitter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree with City Rebel. The responsible thing to do is to postpone the start of the season. Its a no brainer, the less people you meet the less likely you are to contract.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

I agree with City Rebel. The responsible thing to do is to postpone the start of the season. Its a no brainer, the less people you meet the less likely you are to contract.

Yes, keep the panic and over reaction going.

Ignore all medical advice.

That's the spirit!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

Sadly despite our own feelings if we miss our speedway fix I cant see any other decision now from SCB/BSPA.  I am sure they will fall in line with others?

Its going to be a tough time for everyone

As they are self-employed, how long can riders go without being paid, especially the journeymen?

The clowns in Rugby will have to fall in line with other sports but It won’t make much difference as speedway is well used to running to empty stadiums! ;)

I think that crowds will certainly be effected, many of the elderly won't risk it, and as Speedway seems to have many elderly supporters It will effect the income of most clubs.

Clubs will have to think carefully as running with fewer supporters present is going to mean a loss.

9 minutes ago, Buttons said:

I think that crowds will certainly be effected, many of the elderly won't risk it, and as Speedway seems to have many elderly supporters It will effect the income of most clubs.

Clubs will have to think carefully as running with fewer supporters present is going to mean a loss.

Or... you might get more semi regular/lasped fans come as they aren't spending their money elsewhere.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HGould said:

Things are changing daily who knows what the situation will be by next week, one thing for sure its likely to be worse than  it is now.

A lot of other sports are cancelling events well into May

I can't see Speedway being the only sport thats still running. Scotland have banned events of over 500 spectators so whats happening with regards the Tigers and Monarchs?