British Speedway Forum

I wonder what happens if you are expecting a crowd of 300 for your NDL match and 501 people turn up to get their Speedway fix?

Will you have to count people in and stop Mr 501?

27 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I wonder what happens if you are expecting a crowd of 300 for your NDL match and 501 people turn up to get their Speedway fix?

Will you have to count people in and stop Mr 501?

Aren't you supposed to do that anyway ? Generally you are licensed for a certain capacity and should count people in to avoid going over the limit. Failure to do so can result in a fine or loss of license

30 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Aren't you supposed to do that anyway ? Generally you are licensed for a certain capacity and should count people in to avoid going over the limit. Failure to do so can result in a fine or loss of license

Remember Drop a Cog constantly trying to drop Wolves speedway in it over this?

On 3/12/2020 at 2:20 PM, Spl77 said:

If the government ban gatherings of more than 500 people most domestic speedway meetings should be unaffected. 

I dont know why some are laughing at SP77 post. This will get worse before its gets better. Hence all football suspended, racing will be next how Cheltenham went ahead i will never know, then if it comes to it, so will speedway.

2 hours ago, Buttons said:

I think that crowds will certainly be effected, many of the elderly won't risk it, and as Speedway seems to have many elderly supporters It will effect the income of most clubs.

Clubs will have to think carefully as running with fewer supporters present is going to mean a loss.

I'm "one of the elderly " and the media hyping it all up won't stop me attending speedway, I'll obviously take sensible precautions and if I feel ill will stay home.  I've probably got more chance of catching the virus in Tesco or from family/friends than at a speedway meeting.  All being well my first meeting this year will be the Ben Fund at Scunthorpe tomorrow and I hope others will also support this good cause whether or not you like the line up.

With regard to crowds: heard doctor say on radio today that a person with coronavirus would give it to a handful of people they were next to -- it wouldn't spread right round the crowd. So, no different that being in a pub.

Limit in Scotland is to prevent medical people being diverted from crucial work.

Football seems to be off because players/managers have got it and would distort the league.

Lots of different issues at play.

2 hours ago, Buttons said:

I think that crowds will certainly be effected, many of the elderly won't risk it, and as Speedway seems to have many elderly supporters It will effect the income of most clubs.

Clubs will have to think carefully as running with fewer supporters present is going to mean a loss.

That's a really good point. Most speedway meetings are like a Derby and Jones club. The majority of fans are in the high risk group. 

French speedway meetings this weekend cancelled 

With my wife having double lung cancer, and me a lung disease, I've got to seriously think about not going to speedway, whilst this is all going on.

• Like 1

I think that decision will be taken out of your hands on Tuesday Mike. Love to you both

3 hours ago, DBP said:

Things are changing daily who knows what the situation will be by next week, one thing for sure its likely to be worse than  it is now.

A lot of other sports are cancelling events well into May

I can't see Speedway being the only sport thats still running. Scotland have banned events of over 500 spectators so whats happening with regards the Tigers and Monarchs?

Leicester Riders are facing Manchester tonight (Friday). They have good crowds and the arena holds 2500 spectators. I wont be going!!

2 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

I'm "one of the elderly " and the media hyping it all up won't stop me attending speedway, I'll obviously take sensible precautions and if I feel ill will stay home.  I've probably got more chance of catching the virus in Tesco or from family/friends than at a speedway meeting.  All being well my first meeting this year will be the Ben Fund at Scunthorpe tomorrow and I hope others will also support this good cause whether or not you like the line up.

Me and the wife are of "the elderly", but we had a call from our son tonight who has just got home from a NHS meeting where obviously coronavirus had been discussed.  His message for us was to restrict where we go, who we visit, do a big shop one day a week, not do multiple trips, because "this is serious" and is going to get worse, a lot worse.  For sure we each decide to do what we want to do, but it would be foolish to ignore warnings, this is not a scam!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DBP said:

Things are changing daily who knows what the situation will be by next week, one thing for sure its likely to be worse than  it is now.

A lot of other sports are cancelling events well into May

I can't see Speedway being the only sport thats still running. Scotland have banned events of over 500 spectators so whats happening with regards the Tigers and Monarchs?

The Monarchs will run and the Tigers won't. :icon_smile_clown:

I mentioned in the Warsaw GP thread but Poland are closing the borders to foreigners from this weekend.

Hoping the world can get ahead of this thing but I can't see how unfortunately. Tough decisions for all sports to be made soon. At least we're not mid-season though.