British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, Red Flag said:

Thought you wearnt  the going anyway due to BB issues

I'm talking about my local track not Peterborough.  That's a different issue altogether, and even if there was no coronavirus problems, I still wouldn't be able to go there anymore, but can still do other stadiums where you haven't got a 15-minute walk from the car park!!!  

• Like 3

Then you have riders like Nico Covatti saying that he and Paco C. need to fly in and out of Italy ( and into other Eurpean countries ) many times each season. If you believe that is going to be possible now ( and for at least the next three months ) you are misguided. No rider is going to be allowed to do that. These are not "normal" times. It is an emergency situation.

It is an interesting point about sponsors. Plus tv who have paid out for a football season etc and then there might not be one. Plus fans have paid out for a tv package and they can’t watch any football or rugby or whatever....

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It is an interesting point about sponsors. Plus tv who have paid out for a football season etc and then there might not be one. Plus fans have paid out for a tv package and they can’t watch any football or rugby or whatever....

If the UK government enforce postponement of events due to the virus outbreak that prevents the contractual parties performing their side of the contract this is known as contract frustration.

When a contract is frustrated by exceptional circumstances outside the control of the parties the contract becomes unenforceable with recompense paid to all parties to place them back in the same position prior to the contracts existence minus any benefit/s that the parties may had enjoyed prior to the contract being frustrated. 

I personally can see plenty of UK litigation occurring under the Law Reform (Frustrated Contracts) Act 1943 . No-doubt other nations may have similar laws as the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

Then you have riders like Nico Covatti saying that he and Paco C. need to fly in and out of Italy ( and into other Eurpean countries ) many times each season. If you believe that is going to be possible now ( and for at least the next three months ) you are misguided. No rider is going to be allowed to do that. These are not "normal" times. It is an emergency situation.

Fair point but you can't close down all speedway because of foreign riders travel issues.

The BSPA has the option of dispensation (Guests) for any rider genuinely unable to travel and if those were mainly Britsih riders, giving them earning opportunity that has to be a win situation. If the Government guidelines make speedway feasible they why stop racing unless you have to?

If foreigners won't come or go home scared, different matter but where can you go that's not scary right now other than China??

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

Fair point but you can't close down all speedway because of foreign riders travel issues.

The BSPA has the option of dispensation (Guests) for any rider genuinely unable to travel and if those were mainly Britsih riders, giving them earning opportunity that has to be a win situation. If the Government guidelines make speedway feasible they why stop racing unless you have to?

If foreigners won't come or go home scared, different matter but where can you go that's not scary right now other than China??

But you are surely going to have the case of teams missing more than one rider even at short notice. How is the BSPA going to cope with 4 or 5 or even a whole team being in isolation ?

All events will be banned sooner rather than later to 'protect' the emergency services. It won't be the sport's decision to make.

The St. John's will likely be 'co-opted' into the mainstream NHS and do hospitals, under the current circumstances, want speedway riders, rolling up at A & E?

That's my guess anyway. 

• Like 3

I can also sports cancelling events due potential breaches of duty of care they owe to their employees namely the sportsman. If someone contacts the virus and sadly dies or is prevented due to illness in carrying on with their sporting careers that the team concerned will no-doubt face a tortious action for breaching their duty of care towards them. That in case of footballers would run into millions.

2 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

All events will be banned sooner rather than later to 'protect' the emergency services. It won't be the sport's decision to make.

The St. John's will likely be 'co-opted' into the mainstream NHS and do hospitals, under the current circumstances, want speedway riders, rolling up at A & E?

That's my guess anyway. 

Neither will they want St John's crews spending a couple of hours at the local speedway track when its likely to be all hands to the pump.

As you say, it probably will be taken out of the BSPA's hands anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HGould said:

There is already anecdotal evidence that sell out events are being poorly attended due to people choosing to avoid public gatherings. Against that backdrop and fan's general adversion to guests, what does speedway stand to gain from persevering with the current fixture list?

It would make more sense to get ahead of the game, announce a six week delay and reschedule fixtures accordingly.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

I'm "one of the elderly " and the media hyping it all up won't stop me attending speedway, I'll obviously take sensible precautions and if I feel ill will stay home.  I've probably got more chance of catching the virus in Tesco or from family/friends than at a speedway meeting.  All being well my first meeting this year will be the Ben Fund at Scunthorpe tomorrow and I hope others will also support this good cause whether or not you like the line up.

Similar here, most weeks myself & 'the girlf' visit an elderly relative in a Hull care home.  Well Thursday nite (12th) we were advised the building will be on lockdown for at least 2 weeks from Friday 13th.  Not good obviously for anyone but I feel for the residents who won't understand why they haven't had any visitors....

1 hour ago, MattK said:

It would make more sense to get ahead of the game, announce a six week delay and reschedule fixtures accordingly.

Its not going to be a six week delay, its not due to peak until may or June.

earliest  start will be mid June or July

• Like 3

There is a good chance that any league commitments will not be completed due to delays, so I would scrap the league this year and run as many matches as possible as challenge matches.  Saves any frustration at the end of the year.  Apart from that...... some tracks may not reach the end of the year anyway.

38 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

There is a good chance that any league commitments will not be completed due to delays, so I would scrap the league this year and run as many matches as possible as challenge matches.  Saves any frustration at the end of the year.  Apart from that...... some tracks may not reach the end of the year anyway.

How can you run challenge matches if your going to scrap the league programme because of said heading, if, it comes into force ?

10 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

How can you run challenge matches if your going to scrap the league programme because of said heading, if, it comes into force ?

Because by the time this virus has eased off such that restrictions are dropped we could be a long way through the season,  so much so there won’t be time to complete home and away meetings. So do something else to attract as many supporters as possible.