British Speedway Forum

Just had a marathon cancelled on me & heard of another cancelled on the radio. The way I see it the less "crowd" scenarios anywhere the better, speedways biggest problem would be if & when accidents happen hospitals A&Es unable to cope . U.K. speedway has to be postponed with immediate effect!!!!!     

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

There is a good chance that any league commitments will not be completed due to delays, so I would scrap the league this year and run as many matches as possible as challenge matches.  Saves any frustration at the end of the year.  Apart from that...... some tracks may not reach the end of the year anyway.

I would prefer to see a much reduced league fixture list, just to keep things somewhat meaningful.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

How can you reduce 7 teams riding home and away.

To be fair we've a 7 team league for the last two seasons with long spells of good weather,  and clubs have STILL had to go on a mad dash to cram all the dates in!

County Indoor Bowls in Norfolk played mainly in front of family members has been suspended from approx 6pm this evening until the Autumn, so don't see how speedway or any other sport can continue at this moment in time.
It's time these organisations made the right decision and not wait for a government ruling.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mimmo said:

County Indoor Bowls in Norfolk played mainly in front of family members has been suspended from approx 6pm this evening until the Autumn, so don't see how speedway or any other sport can continue at this moment in time.
It's time these organisations made the right decision and not wait for a government ruling.   

Is it something to do with covering themselves legally from say the tv contract? If they call things off then they have to pay out. If it is a government call they don’t ? Same as if I have a hotel booked or concert ticket and don’t turn up out of fear I am liable and get no refund. If the concert or hotel calls off, I do 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Is it something to do with covering themselves legally from say the tv contract? If they call things off then they have to pay out. If it is a government call they don’t ? Same as if I have a hotel booked or concert ticket and don’t turn up out of fear I am liable and get no refund. If the concert or hotel calls off, I do 

Think of the media coverage speedway would get if it were the only sport running... This could be the saving of our sport :lol:

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

don't see how speedway or any other sport can continue at this moment in time. 

Of course, it's tough, and a lot of people are going to be affected.  I am not saying sport SHOULD continue, but whatever happens, life goes on, and people will still want to do things, either as a participant or as a spectator.

Don't forget that, even though we are talking about "sport", sport/entertainment provides a livelihood for thousands - probably millions - of people around the world. From participants to bar/restaurant staff, from cleaners to maintenance staff, from ticket agencies to journalists.  I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose your job for weeks (even months), and of course, the way things will be if everything shuts down, it is more than just simple damage to the economy.

Does a flu-like (and no, I'm not attempting to trivialise it) virus necessitate the whole world shutting down everything that someone may consider "non-essential"?  Think about it...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Because by the time this virus has eased off such that restrictions are dropped we could be a long way through the season,  so much so there won’t be time to complete home and away meetings. So do something else to attract as many supporters as possible.

Going to get worse before it gets better mate, how longs a piece of string  ?

As some of you know I am chairman of the Trust that owns and runs our local theatre. We have spoken to our insurers about the situation as we are covered for loss of revenue if we have to close for any reason. We have been told that if we decide unilaterally to close we won't get anything, but if the Government or local council tell us we have to close we will. So our view is to wait until we are told.

The real problem for us will be if the Government says that all gatherings over 500 are banned as our theatre seats about 580. It is not often we reach that figure and most shows would have audiences under 500, but some coming up in the near future are sold out or very nearly. So do we limit our ticket sales to 500? And what about those shows that have already sold more? Do we just cancel those and keep the others on? Could be a nightmare! 

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

Because the virus transmits very poorly outdoors.   Even in a 60,000+ crowd at Manchester United or Arsenal, if there was a fan with the virus, the absolute worst he could probably do is infect the two people sat either side of him, but that's far less likely than the chances of infecting the people either side of you in a supermarket bog roll queue.     I'll wager the calling off of football is more about protecting the players who have an asset value of billions, than the fear thousands of fans could be infected.

I'm guessing "county indoor bowls" isn't an outdoor stadium sport.  More a few people in close proximity indoors.

1 minute ago, PotteringAround said:

Because the virus transmits very poorly outdoors.   Even in a 60,000+ crowd at Manchester United or Arsenal, if there was a fan with the virus, the absolute worst he could probably do is infect the two people sat either side of him, but that's far less likely than the chances of infecting the people either side of you in a supermarket bog roll queue.     I'll wager the calling off of football is more about protecting the players who have an asset value of billions, than the fear thousands of fans could be infected.

I'm guessing "county indoor bowls" isn't an outdoor stadium sport.  More a few people in close proximity indoors.

Rubbish. If he sneezes or coughs he could affect all those in front of him....plus if he sneezes whilst in the queue to get in he affects all those around him, then sneezes whilst queueing up for a burger or beer, all those. Then sneezes or coughs on the way out all those without any visits to the toilet. And that is only if there is one among those 60,000. What if there are two or three affected......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Rubbish. If he sneezes or coughs he could affect all those in front of him....plus if he sneezes whilst in the queue to get in he affects all those around him, then sneezes whilst queueing up for a burger or beer, all those. Then sneezes or coughs on the way out all those without any visits to the toilet. And that is only if there is one among those 60,000. What if there are two or three affected......

Excuse me if I prefer to believe the NHS experts rather than you.  

p.s.  Covid-19 doesn't cause sneezing.   Someone coughing and sneezing likely has a common cold (which he could pass on) rather than Covid-19

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, norbold said:

The real problem for us will be if the Government says that all gatherings over 500 are banned as our theatre seats about 580. It is not often we reach that figure and most shows would have audiences under 500, but some coming up in the near future are sold out or very nearly. So do we limit our ticket sales to 500? And what about those shows that have already sold more? Do we just cancel those and keep the others on? Could be a nightmare! 

What I don't get is why specific numbers are used. Why is 498 people acceptable, yet 502 not? People are still going to be together in a confined area.

Over here, the states and cities are imposing their own limits. Some, it's 100, and lot are 250. Weird thing is some of the extra policies...

There is a small darts tournament scheduled in San Diego. Public gatherings in San Diego are currently restricted to fewer than 250, which is fine, as they wouldn't even get close to 100. However, while this would be permissible, the city states that no individual may get closer than 6' to another! I can see the logic, but it's totally ridiculous, and besides, who the hell is going to go around measuring??? :blink:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Excuse me if I prefer to believe the NHS rather than you.  

Believe what you want, but why do you think every country is giving advice to wash your hands regularly and thorpughly ? Because if someone sneezes into their hand and then touches something and then you come along a couple of minutes later and touch the same surface then rub your eye or pick your nose, it is highly likely you will get the virus as well...., which is why people are being advised not to shake hands and why they are now opening tube Twain doors automatically in many cities rather than having people press the button themselves....

Anyway, read the NHS advice. They say they don’t even know how it is spread. Plus similar viruses are spread by cough droplets..... think you need to give your head a wobble 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

plus here is how long cough and sneeze droplets can stay active in the air. And you think only the people on either side will be affected once someone is seated in his place :blink:

https://www.sciencealert.com/bacteria-in-your-coughs-and-sneezes-can-stay-alive-in-the-air-for-up-to-45-minutes?ignore_amp

I actually Heard- it was 5 minutes, but even if that was specific to coronavirus, 5 minutes in a packed stadium is a long time....

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1