British Speedway Forum

16 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Because the virus transmits very poorly outdoors.   Even in a 60,000+ crowd at Manchester United or Arsenal, if there was a fan with the virus, the absolute worst he could probably do is infect the two people sat either side of him, but that's far less likely than the chances of infecting the people either side of you in a supermarket bog roll queue.     I'll wager the calling off of football is more about protecting the players who have an asset value of billions, than the fear thousands of fans could be infected.

I'm guessing "county indoor bowls" isn't an outdoor stadium sport.  More a few people in close proximity indoors.

Could it have something to do with the fact that some expertise in medical matters are needed at these large gatherings, and they could be better utilised elsewhere within the NHS - staff shortages

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Excuse me if I prefer to believe the NHS experts rather than you.  

p.s.  Covid-19 doesn't cause sneezing.   Someone coughing and sneezing likely has a common cold (which he could pass on) rather than Covid-19

No wonder it's out of control with attitudes like this... Some people just don't get it

• Like 1

Im dreading when i sneeze i rarely if ever sneeze once its usually a minimum of 4/5 times in one go, i just hope im not around a crowd :D because for sure i will get some snotty looks.. :D

6 minutes ago, Crumpet77 said:

PotteringAround is correct, the coronavirus does not cause sneezing.

I wish EVERYBODY (not just you - and on BOTH sides) would READ what is being said, rather than just interpreting what they want.

1) NOBODY said the coronavirus causes sneezing.

2) Just because someone sneezes doesn't mean that they DON'T have the coronavirus.

3) if the virus can be spread by coughing, there is no reason it couldn't be spread by sneezing; the nose and throat are connected.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Crumpet77 said:

PotteringAround is correct, the coronavirus does not cause sneezing.

Nobody said it does:rolleyes:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chunky said:

I wish EVERYBODY (not just you - and on BOTH sides) would READ what is being said, rather than just interpreting what they want.

1) NOBODY said the coronavirus causes sneezing.

2) Just because someone sneezes doesn't mean that they DON'T have the coronavirus.

3) if the virus can be spread by coughing, there is no reason it couldn't be spread by sneezing; the nose and throat are connected.

Quite right, I must have sneezed 3 or 4 times today, dust up nose etc. I don't have the virus (that I know of)... Humans cough and sneeze it's a fact. You even only have to look at somebody talking in sunlight to see how much spit comes out of people's mouths... And that's before you even start to think about hands on surfaces etc.

... And it'll be hay fever season soon

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Third Man said:

and today an expert said it could cause sneezing

Just read the BSF; EVERYBODY is an expert on here... B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interested to read that on 23rd January it was stated that half a million people had contracted the flu in Italy..... in one week.

Now that is a virus that spreads quickly... 

It could also be another reason for higher death rates in Italy.. if elderly people have been hit with the flu.. followed by this in a short space, they're going to be weaker.

It continues to be the lack of testing that means a true clear picture is extremely difficult to form.

It will be interesting how the US testing goes as they're offering it free to all. A larger sample may provide a better picture.

Germany continues to test to a higher degree than most countries... death rate 0.19% at the moment.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

Quite right, I must have sneezed 3 or 4 times today, dust up nose etc. I don't have the virus (that I know of)... Humans cough and sneeze it's a fact. You even only have to look at somebody talking in sunlight to see how much spit comes out of people's mouths... And that's before you even start to think about hands on surfaces etc.

... And it'll be hay fever season soon

...and we've yet to enter the hay fever season. I used to sneeze on a regular basis during my time spent at Oxford working with locusts. Dust and allergens a plenty raising and studying the little critters!

Edited by steve roberts

6 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Some riders have gone back down under and some in Europe can't get here.

Not going to do them much good going home...even if they can get a flight as Australia will insist on quarantine / isolation for 14 days from midnight tonight so if they are going home to earn money forget it. With contracts here signed and cost of flights, better to stay here and see what situation is like in 3-4 weeks time.

An aircraft cabin for 24 hours is just about the worst place to be right now!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MattK said:

There is already anecdotal evidence that sell out events are being poorly attended due to people choosing to avoid public gatherings. Against that backdrop and fan's general adversion to guests, what does speedway stand to gain from persevering with the current fixture list?

It would make more sense to get ahead of the game, announce a six week delay and reschedule fixtures accordingly.

what evidence??

Non League soccer that did take place attendances up

Badminton in Birmingham attendances up

Cheltenham Festival 250,000 attended over 4 days only small drop on record year last year according to The Times.

As discussed elsewhere, Club like Brummies, like many will have have rental agreement, will have had to pay BSPA/SCB fees, probably have had to pay some riders small sign on fees, certainly Bomber would want one; have to ensure track ready and passed Track Safety inspection. 

In case of Brummies I know some work has been done to Pits and also some of the temporary stands on first bend.

How much do you think Brummies will have to fork out over 6 weeks if 6 week delay to season? Will Sponsors pay as promised?

Spend by end of April probably in region of £15-20k. 

No income, may be a bit of merchandise can be sold. Riders clamouring for help as they can't earn.

Not a pretty picture is it?

20 minutes ago, HGould said:

what evidence??

Non League soccer that did take place attendances up

Badminton in Birmingham attendances up

Cheltenham Festival 250,000 attended over 4 days only small drop on record year last year according to The Times.

Music venue owner Vince Power told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he had a sell-out show on Friday night near London's Portobello Road, but fewer than half of the 550 people who had bought tickets showed up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51882897

You are also making the schoolboy error of comparing little ol' speedway with popular sports and large, well-publicised events.

21 minutes ago, HGould said:

As discussed elsewhere, Club like Brummies, like many will have have rental agreement, will have had to pay BSPA/SCB fees, probably have had to pay some riders small sign on fees, certainly Bomber would want one; have to ensure track ready and passed Track Safety inspection. 

In case of Brummies I know some work has been done to Pits and also some of the temporary stands on first bend.

How much do you think Brummies will have to fork out over 6 weeks if 6 week delay to season? Will Sponsors pay as promised?

Spend by end of April probably in region of £15-20k. 

No income, may be a bit of merchandise can be sold. Riders clamouring for help as they can't earn.

Not a pretty picture is it?

The Brummies will have a short term cash flow problem then. All those costs you described above will have to be paid for eventually, they aren't being incurred on an on-going basis.

Alternatively they can run meetings, but as above if they get around half their usual crowds then they are now realising a loss on every meeting, which they won't get back.

It isn't a pretty picture, but they are in the same boat as every business who still have regular overheads (wages, rent, rates etc.), but who are seeing a massive drop in sales. The difference between a normal business and a speedway club is that clubs only have around 20 opportunities to make a profit each season. If they run a meeting and it makes a loss, then that opportunity it gone and that loss has to be covered out of the owner's pocket.

As I said, I can see no benefit in speedway ploughing on regardless. Unless they conduct an unprecedented marketing campaign (there's a first time for everything) to try and encourage some of the football-starved masses through the turnstiles then there is a real risk of meetings going ahead with even smaller crowds than usual, especially if teams are filled with guests due to riders not being able to travel.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, MattK said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51882897

You are also making the schoolboy error of comparing little ol' speedway with popular sports and large, well-publicised events.

The Brummies will have a short term cash flow problem then. All those costs you described above will have to be paid for eventually, they aren't being incurred on an on-going basis.

Alternatively they can run meetings, but as above if they get around half their usual crowds then they are now realising a loss on every meeting, which they won't get back.

It isn't a pretty picture, but they are in the same boat as every business who still have regular overheads (wages, rent, rates etc.), but who are seeing a massive drop in sales. The difference between a normal business and a speedway club is that clubs only have around 20 opportunities to make a profit each season. If they run a meeting and it makes a loss, then that opportunity it gone and that loss has to be covered out of the owner's pocket.

As I said, I can see no benefit in speedway ploughing on regardless. Unless they conduct an unprecedented marketing campaign (there's a first time for everything) to try and encourage some of the football-starved masses through the turnstiles then there is a real risk of meetings going ahead with even smaller crowds than usual, especially if teams are filled with guests due to riders not being able to travel.

I'm not sure that a Badminton Event and Non League soccer are either well publicised or major Events.

Mr Power may like to offer his services to a Speedway Promoter to do as you say, put an Event on and seek to attract the bored and those who think that this issue has been blown out of all proportion and who have a contrary "stuff em" old fashioned British spirit that won't be told what to do but to make his own judgement and decisions.

I take your point though and time will tell us what the long term future for speedway is, if there is one.