British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

That would be discrimination, a lot of us oldies are fitter and take more care with our health  than youngsters. I daresay they would be doing it to try to protect us from the Virus and relieve the burden on the NHS but surely us oldies are capable of using common sense, I'd rather be at a speedway meeting than being stuck in doors "waiting for God"

The problem with this type of attitude though is that the more who do as you are suggesting you might, the less effective the strategy will be and therefore the more will become infected, and ultimately die. 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Too many read a headline and not the detail behind it.

Hancock HAS said it is a measure that will be bought in.

He has also said...it WILL be bought in if and when required at a time when it will have most impact.

Politics (nothing to do with Party Politics) prepare people for the worst case scenario. In so doing you look good when you don't have to use that scenario but can also say you have a contingency in place. 

Also some over 70's and 80's will no doubt voluntarily listen to it now, they may not isolate but what they may do is go out once a week instead of 4 or 5 times.

It suits the doom mongers to spread doom.  Sells papers, empties shelves.

The reality is somewhere in between. 

Trouble is that is how many people follow the news and the media play on it.

• Like 1

Not sure Jye Etheridge is being particularly helpful on Twitter.  Doesn't seem understand why speedway cant run behind closed doors

And are these oldies the same oldies who are expected to care for grand-kids when the government closes the schools?

• Like 2

I really do not think many have realised how serious this is. The virus itself is serious enough but the knock on effect on the very structure of society is mind blowing. Starting with panic buying , people losing their jobs etc. You can envisage a society where money is useless and bartering of goods becomes the norm. 

3 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I really do not think many have realised how serious this is. The virus itself is serious enough but the knock on effect on the very structure of society is mind blowing. Starting with panic buying , people losing their jobs etc. You can envisage a society where money is useless and bartering of goods becomes the norm. 

You should join the goverment :angry:

1 minute ago, Starman2006 said:

You should join the goverment :angry:

Probably you have secured your bog roll  supply already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewmac said:

The problem with this type of attitude though is that the more who do as you are suggesting you might, the less effective the strategy will be and therefore the more will become infected, and ultimately die. 

However, Italy is the country that traditionally 'stays inside' the most at this time of year.

And they have the highest death rate from flu every year..

And the same with Covid-19.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The health of the nation is far more important than a few speedway meetings. When this crisis is over, the sport will have to regroup and start again.

If that really were the case, there'd never be winter sport or events again.

1 hour ago, stewmac said:

This virus is serious I'm not suggesting I will go if over 70s are banned i will have to follow the rules and the chances are Speedway wont be running anyway. What I do think though is to tell over 70s to stay indoors for a long period of time is not going to stop the virus it will though help to protect vulnerable people but surely common sense can prevail, stay in if your ill or vulnerable, if your healthy going for walks etc but not having direct contact with others can't do any harm, better than sitting in, none of us know when our time is up why waste it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

This virus is serious I'm not suggesting I will go if over 70s are banned i will have to follow the rules and the chances are Speedway wont be running anyway. What I do think though is to tell over 70s to stay indoors for a long period of time is not going to stop the virus it will though help to protect vulnerable people but surely common sense can prevail, stay in if your ill or vulnerable, if your healthy going for walks etc but not having direct contact with others can't do any harm, better than sitting in, none of us know when our time is up why waste it.

There, thats better.  We have enough problems with our goverment and brain box heath secretary without adding to it. Common sense, many seem to lack it.  :t:

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

If that really were the case, there'd never be winter sport or events again.

This virus is a bit more serious than the common cold. I'm a big football and speedway fan, if both sports are stopped, we just have to accept it. I went to Maidenhead for football yesterday. A big crowd turned out, which suggests to me that the public will continue to go, until they are forced to stay indoors.

• Like 1

I often have a look at live web cams from around the world, as I find it facinating  to have a look at other countries and cultures in real time.  Over the last few days you can notice how deserted places have become. One example is the Trevi Fountain in Italy. Its a major tourist attraction, and always has hundreds of people in front of it, day or night, sometimes 30 deep at the front of the fountain. Have a look at it today, hardly a person in sight, really spooky!

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/fontana-di-trevi.html

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

This virus is a bit more serious than the common cold. I'm a big football and speedway fan, if both sports are stopped, we just have to accept it. I went to Maidenhead for football yesterday. A big crowd turned out, which suggests to me that the public will continue to go, until they are forced to stay indoors.

Influenza can lead to thousands of deaths a year. The World Health Organisation estimates that an average of up to 500,000 people die annually across the globe due to the flu. In 2008-2009 there were 13,000 deaths in the UK alone related to the flu. The coronavirus is not nearly as deadly as the common flu, which experts have warned should still take priority in the medical battle...

1 minute ago, Blupanther said:

Influenza can lead to thousands of deaths a year. The World Health Organisation estimates that an average of up to 500,000 people die annually across the globe due to the flu. In 2008-2009 there were 13,000 deaths in the UK alone related to the flu. The coronavirus is not nearly as deadly as the common flu, which experts have warned should still take priority in the medical battle...

I understand that, but we have never had a potential lockdown in my lifetime. That's what scares people, hence all of the panic buying.