British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Ridiculous figure, how can you say 499 is fine, 501 is not?

crowds / large gatherings should be banned, full stop.

No they shouldn't have..

It's only the indoctrinated panic merchants that have caused the entire thing.

Too late now, the indoctrinated have done the damage.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

I am buying up the stock of immodium. With the absence of toilet paper constipation is next best alternative.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 3/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, wealdstone said:

From what I saw in shops today the priorities were bog rolls beans and booze

bogrollgate              

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

What amount would you call a crowd/large gathering? You have to draw the line somewhere.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

Scotland have started the ball rolling.... no crowds over 500

so that is Edinburgh and Glasgow with no home meetings.... decisions should be across the Uk not unilaterally made.

however there will be no surprise if we catch up shortly

1 hour ago, Audiscore said:

Why they need to call a meeting about this dint know. Common sense should prevail, the season should be postponed  until the pandemic is contol led.  Riders can't get here, others can't fly out causing real problems It's  a shame the controlling body can't make a desicion.

Any other cynics like me who thinks they might wait until after March 25th:unsure: I understand it's someone's testimonial.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The worlds gone totally mad most people support banning large gatherings closing bars and restaurants etc so they are a lot safer.Then a lot of the same people this weekend swarmed into over crowded supermarkets panic buying , queuing for over an hour with hundreds of other people to get to a till when there is no need.Make your mind up people a crowd is a crowd wherever you are.

They are both the same risk the only difference is that a supermarket crowd panic buying leaves some old folk without some food toilet rolls.milk,pain killers etc.Mums without baby milk and baby wipes etc if this applies to you get a grip this virus is going to be around for quite a while.

By the way my wife works in a supermarket on a till and had to go in on her day off yesterday to cope with this madness and witnessed all said above.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

Scotland have started the ball rolling.... no crowds over 500

so that is Edinburgh and Glasgow with no home meetings.... decisions should be across the Uk not unilaterally made.

however there will be no surprise if we catch up shortly

Health is a devolved issue so rightly the decision is made by the Scottish Government. 

2 hours ago, wealdstone said:

I am buying up the stock of immodium. With the absence of toilet paper constipation is next best alternative.

Steptoe had the right idea, squares of newspaper with a hole in the corner, held up by a piece of string. Just don't use the shiny colour supplement!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

By the way my wife works in a supermarket on a till and had to go in on her day off yesterday to cope with this madness and witnessed all said above.

I'm not condoning it but I do think it's understandable madness. The government has shown over the last 10 years that it does not care one jot about the vulnerable in society. A lot of people live hand to mouth week by week, so when they're told by the government to not worry and everything is going to be ok and if you're in isolation we'll make sure food gets to you, quite frankly they're not believed.

I'm doing alright as I have a bit of money in the bank and always keep a full freezer and pantry anyway as I generally bulk buy when products are on offer. In one way the supermarket cartels encourage bulk buying by their wildly fluctuating pricing policy where by a product is always at a low offer price somewhere or other be it Tesco, Asda, Morrison's or Sainsbury's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

The government has shown over the last 10 years that it does not care one jot about the vulnerable in society.

Message over the weekend, from a leading Tory, could be distilled to 'we're all in it together'. How well did that go last time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunce said:

Steptoe had the right idea, squares of newspaper with a hole in the corner, held up by a piece of string. Just don't use the shiny colour supplement!

I guess that rules out Speedway Star.

One aspect of Boris Johnson's update a few minutes ago cuts across speedway more than anything else, namely his insistence that the emergency services should be concentrated towards where they're urgently and unusually needed rather than providing support to things like sporting events and other mass gatherings.

You can argue on here all you like about what size crowd is too big or too small with regard to that sort of guideline.

Very bluntly (and probably reflecting the general public's attitude rather than just speedway folk), the government won't allow an ambulance to be parked beside a speedway track for a couple of hours, often (and thankfully) not being required for any use, when it's highly likely to be needed in the general battle against coronavirus - similarly, accident & emergency staff need to be left to get on with general coronavirus admissions without having a speedway rider's broken bones added to their workload.

British horse racing (another sport totally reliant on ambulance cover for its go-ahead) announced earlier today it would go completely behind closed doors from tomorrow onwards but now only its tax generation via betting might enable it to keep its ambulance cover as a special exemption within these emergency services guidelines for mass gatherings.

However, given greyhound racing obviously requires a vet rather than an ambulance to be in attendance for its go-ahead, the dogs might be able to run round their tracks while the horses can't.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, arthur cross said:

One aspect of Boris Johnson's update a few minutes ago cuts across speedway more than anything else, namely his insistence that the emergency services should be concentrated towards where they're urgently and unusually needed rather than providing support to things like sporting events and other mass gatherings.

You can argue on here all you like about what size crowd is too big or too small with regard to that sort of guideline.

Very bluntly (and probably reflecting the general public's attitude rather than just speedway folk), the government won't allow an ambulance to be parked beside a speedway track for a couple of hours, often (and thankfully) not being required for any use, when it's highly likely to be needed in the general battle against coronavirus - similarly, accident & emergency staff need to be left to get on with general coronavirus admissions without having a speedway rider's broken bones added to their workload.

British horse racing (another sport totally reliant on ambulance cover for its go-ahead) announced earlier today it would go completely behind closed doors from tomorrow onwards but now only its tax generation via betting might enable it to keep its ambulance cover as a special exemption these emergency services guidelines for mass gatherings.

However, given greyhound racing obviously requires a vet rather than an ambulance to be in attendance for its go-ahead, the dogs might be able to run round their tracks while the horses can't. 

The dogs don't carry humans on their backs :)

• Like 1

Most cover is provided by private staff and ambulances paid for by the promotion. Not normally NHS staff,  I take the point on board they will be stressed by speedway accidents at NHS hospitals.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Audiscore said:

Most cover is provided by private staff and ambulances paid for by the promotion. Not normally NHS staff,  I take the point on board they will be stressed by speedway accidents at NHS hospitals.

And I take your point on board about speedway's use of private ambulances.

However, when the government is really scrambling around soon for any medical resources, do you really think any private ambulance company wants the PR-disaster of insisting it still needs to honour its contract with a speedway club rather than adding that ambulance to the general cause (especially when the government probably offers a good bit more money for such a cross-over compared to whatever the speedway club was due to pay in the first place) ? !! 

Today's steering of emergency services away from mass gatherings is one step for now.

In due course, it will almost certainly be at least a short-term government enforcement that merges NHS and private medical resources into one overall medical resource for the national good - remember, any private ambulance still needs to operate under government standards while not being under the NHS banner so bringing it into one overall stock won't be difficult if the government insists upon it.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 2