British Speedway Forum

In this desperate position that we all find ourselves in, i just hope the government will fairly prop up every business in there hour of need.If they just prop up big business only that would be nothing short of a disgrace fair measures have to be put in place.Virgin have just announced that workers have been imformed to take eight weeks unpaid leave so there is a long tough road ahead for alot of the nation.

from what I hear promoters aim to be back up and running end of june,/beginning of july...

no cup competitions, just do 1 home and 1 away, for 1 year only I should think they can extend the league to late November even December if possible

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

In this desperate position that we all find ourselves in, i just hope the government will fairly prop up every business in there hour of need.If they just prop up big business only that would be nothing short of a disgrace fair measures have to be put in place.Virgin have just announced that workers have been imformed to take eight weeks unpaid leave so there is a long tough road ahead for alot of the nation.

You'd hope that Branson would dip into his $4 billion to help folk out wouldn't you?

If he were to divide his fortune amongst his employees each one would receive $466,690... probably enough to see them through

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

Not sure about bspa or fim, but surely speedway star, which is already in difficulty must be heading for big problems. It makes most of its money from track sales, and they just ain't going to happen for ages

Not these days...the track shop at Eastbourne only had a few on sale each week....and then, in reality, clubs tend to ride at home every other week.

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

from what I hear promoters aim to be back up and running end of june,/beginning of july...

no cup competitions, just do 1 home and 1 away, for 1 year only I should think they can extend the league to late November even December if possible

On one hand, relating to date deadlines for things like collective insurance policies, the usual ending on 31st October (a Saturday this year) could be extended at just a few days of administrative notice towards a date in November or December.

But on the other hand, unless we have a very dry autumn, too many tracks will just be permanent sludge by mid-November (if not earlier) as the shorter amount of daylight hours (and less warm sunshine even if it occurs at all) means you're relying only on the wind rather than the sun as well to dry out the most recent rainfall - I've always reckoned (and posted on other threads on this forum several times before) that 12-Celsius appears to be the borderline for the temperature as well as the wind having a proper drying effect - you don't get many 12+ days by November and far more in single figures.

Infamously a few years ago at Workington as they tried to clear a backlog, a late-October meeting was abandoned once it became clear the moisture on the track was actually turning into ice.

Clearly these exceptional coronavirus circumstances could justify an exceptional gamble with hoping the weather behaves itself to allow a little fixture scheduling in November but realistically, the weekend of Sat-7 & Sun-8-Nov will be stretching it to the weather limit for the Anglo-Scottish tracks (Redcar, Newcastle, Berwick, Edinburgh & Glasgow) with only a week or two's more flexibility further south.

At this stage, my target would be to make a revised fixture-list that schedules meetings up to the Halloween weekend but also permits rain-off catch-ups until the weekend of Sat-14 & Sun-15-Nov  

Edited by arthur cross

15 hours ago, nick said:

We normally have so many blank weeks and supporters want fixtures every week, teams will just have to ride Monday and Thursday to fit them in, if we get any racing at all. Time for a independent person to do the fixtures to stop self interest.

Belle Vue and Leicester would struggle as they both have two teams

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Not these days...the track shop at Eastbourne only had a few on sale each week....and then, in reality, clubs tend to ride at home every other week.

Just going by what Phil Rising has stated and I guess if anyone should know, he does. 

If it’s believed that limit gatherings or events to 500 or less people then speedway can start on time. 

5 minutes ago, rocketrod said:

If it’s believed that limit gatherings or events to 500 or less people then speedway can start on time. 

Not without ambulance/Paramedic cover you can't

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Just going by what Phil Rising has stated and I guess if anyone should know, he does. 

Yes, he should. But he is not selling many at Eastbourne.

On BSPA site Speedway suspended with immediate effect, will be reviewed again on April 15th.

Don't think the virus will be gone by then !

• Like 3

Quite likely to be reviewed positively by 15 th June. But could easily be 15th July ( with racing starting 1st August ).

There will be a 12 week lock-down soon....nobody will be able to leave their houses.

The Government are dragging it on as long as they can because of the SSP implications.

Perhaps for this season alone we could abandon the play offs and just ride one home and one away and the KO cup.

The top of the league are league champions...

Back to the good old days of finishing first means your the best team !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, psycho3a said:

Perhaps for this season alone we could abandon the play offs and just ride one home and one away and the KO cup.

The top of the league are league champions...

Back to the good old days of finishing first means your the best team !!

I was actually thinking this would be a sensible move.

• Like 2