British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Just going by what Phil Rising has stated and I guess if anyone should know, he does. 

I would think the tracks sales have less affect these days, as subscription has been plugged and also there is lot a lot of people receiving the online version.. 

IMO we may not see  any league racing in this country this season if as has been said we are all locked down for 3mths ,the best we can hope for is open or  challenge matches  ,not sure what the GP's will do .The worst thing is it will lead to many premature retirements due to the length of time riders are out of the saddle and the loss of income they have suffered .

3 hours ago, Buttons said:

On BSPA site Speedway suspended with immediate effect, will be reviewed again on April 15th.

Don't think the virus will be gone by then !

This ACU Statement would suggest the 30 April rather than the 15 April quoted by the BSPA.

Coronavirus (Covid-19) - ACU Statement Update 17/03/20

Tuesday March 17, 2020 at 10:46am

Statement on Covid-19
On behalf of ACU    

It is with regret that the ACU are suspending all competition and social activity until 30th April 2020, but this will be constantly reviewed. This is in response to the emerging guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19.   

All permits for events during this time will be cancelled and reimbursed in full to the organising club/ promoter.    As the National Governing Body would ask all ACU Members to act responsibly and follow the Government’s guidance during this difficult time. We have a responsibility and duty of care to our staff who will be working from home, so please be patient with any queries you may have.   

As of writing (17th March 2020) HM Government have advised: 

To clear up any confusion over the different dates.

The SCB/BSPA regard 15th April as the earliest date on which they'll make a full review of where we've reached in the coronavirus saga, ready to either set another review date or announce a resumption date.

The ACU's use of 30th April does refer to the actual racing of any sort of motorbikes being halted until that date.

Hence in a perfect world, the SCB/BSPA could join the ACU in announcing on 15th April that the action resumes on 1st May and they would then both honour the meaning of the dates they've issued so far.

Much more realistically, both the dates they've issued so far simply buy time to process more discussions and information on when any action might eventually take place much further into the year.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:46 PM, PotteringAround said:

Because the virus transmits very poorly outdoors.   Even in a 60,000+ crowd at Manchester United or Arsenal, if there was a fan with the virus, the absolute worst he could probably do is infect the two people sat either side of him, but that's far less likely than the chances of infecting the people either side of you in a supermarket bog roll queue.     I'll wager the calling off of football is more about protecting the players who have an asset value of billions, than the fear thousands of fans could be infected.

I'm guessing "county indoor bowls" isn't an outdoor stadium sport.  More a few people in close proximity indoors.

Seem to have gone awol, since my post with some info

But here is even more and events seem to have turned against your opinion anyway.....

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

There will be a 12 week lock-down soon....nobody will be able to leave their houses.

The Government are dragging it on as long as they can because of the SSP implications.

I had to pick my lad up from collage early today, because he has very mild asthma. All sufferers have to stay away for 12 weeks.

And one of the schools here has closed it's doors today as well.

8 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I had to pick my lad up from collage early today, because he has very mild asthma. All sufferers have to stay away for 12 weeks.

And one of the schools here has closed it's doors today as well.

Rugby School closed this afternoon

3 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Rugby School closed this afternoon

Apparently private schools are the first to react and respond to the present climate.

5 minutes ago, fliss44 said:

Apparently private schools are the first to react and respond to the present climate.

I do not understand why schools are not being closed.

many school are around 1000 and once someone gets the virus plenty of scope for a massive increase in positive cases

apparently some schools have been told to arrange for one month of work for their pupils to complete via the internet....so perhaps closures are not too far off

tJust had an E Mail from the Lawn  Tennis Association to say they are cancelling all tournaments and coaching as from today. They have also advised us that we should cancel at the moment all local league matches. It's no looking good that there will be a tennis tournament at Wimbledon this year

Edited by mickthemuppet

1 hour ago, arthur cross said:

To clear up any confusion over the different dates.

The SCB/BSPA regard 15th April as the earliest date on which they'll make a full review of where we've reached in the coronavirus saga, ready to either set another review date or announce a resumption date.

The ACU's use of 30th April does refer to the actual racing of any sort of motorbikes being halted until that date.

Hence in a perfect world, the SCB/BSPA could join the ACU in announcing on 15th April that the action resumes on 1st May and they would then both honour the meaning of the dates they've issued so far.

Much more realistically, both the dates they've issued so far simply buy time to process more discussions and information on when any action might eventually take place much further into the year.

Okay, thanks for that.

Since Boris Johnson allegedly said yesterday that no medical coverage would be allowed at outdoor gatherings for 12 weeks, (something iv looked for but been unable to confirm) i would suspect that counts out any sporting events that need medical cover for 12 weeks which takes us up to the 8th June according to my calculations. If thats true then many competitions will be unable to continue, complete or even be held at all.

4 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

Since Boris Johnson allegedly said yesterday that no medical coverage would be allowed at outdoor gatherings for 12 weeks, (something iv looked for but been unable to confirm) i would suspect that counts out any sporting events that need medical cover for 12 weeks which takes us up to the 8th June according to my calculations. If thats true then many competitions will be unable to continue, complete or even be held at all.

Not sure on the situation in the UK, but know from experience of a meeting in Denmark. The medical cover is only necessary for the public, not the sportsmen. In this case speedway riders. Was a meeting being run and a rider had an accident and the ambulance had to leave and it took ages for it to return and the promoter had the choice of calling the meeting off, as they had no floodlights and it was going to get dark, or ask the public to leave and carry on the meeting without medical cover....of course I guess the riders have to agree, but that was the law

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Not sure on the situation in the UK, but know from experience of a meeting in Denmark. The medical cover is only necessary for the public, not the sportsmen. In this case speedway riders. Was a meeting being run and a rider had an accident and the ambulance had to leave and it took ages for it to return and the promoter had the choice of calling the meeting off, as they had no floodlights and it was going to get dark, or ask the public to leave and carry on the meeting without medical cover....of course I guess the riders have to agree, but that was the law

The medical cover here is for the riders

if a supporter gets ill the racing has to stop while the paramedics deal with it

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iris123 said:

UK meetings have either a Red Cross or St Johns Ambulance in attendance, with volunteer crews and one duty paramedic. The ambulance and it's crew are there for riders and the public. Not sure what the equipment levels in these ambulances are, but plenty has been the time when a "county ambulance" has been summoned. (a quaint term when you are in a big city lol) But basically from a lay-perspective, the Ambulance cover seems to be there to basically provide an on-site mobile medical facility. If someone needs taking to hospital it's a 999 call and an NHS ambulance that's called in to do the hospital run.  Maybe that's different the further from a hospital you are. Birmingham's track is only 15 minutes from the nearest hospital, arrangements may be different for more remote tracks.