British Speedway Forum

Following on from Arch Stanton's post, there is an interesting article on BBC news online, where it is being suggested the modelling process, which the experts use, is possibly flawed. The suggestion, is the experts are not allowing for overlap in their models. In other words, they are not sure how many people would have died with or without the virus. Or in other words, whether CV adds to the death rate. Please don't shoot me down in flames, I'm only saying what I saw on the BBC website. The article also worries about the social and economic damage and suggests that could cost lives too. I do feel the government are 'firefighting' without properly considering the unintended consequences.   

9 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Following on from Arch Stanton's post, there is an interesting article on BBC news online, where it is being suggested the modelling process, which the experts use, is possibly flawed. The suggestion, is the experts are not allowing for overlap in their models. In other words, they are not sure how many people would have died with or without the virus. Or in other words, whether CV adds to the death rate. Please don't shoot me down in flames, I'm only saying what I saw on the BBC website. The article also worries about the social and economic damage and suggests that could cost lives too. I do feel the government are 'firefighting' without properly considering the unintended consequences.   

The death rate is massively spewed as they are only testing serious cases.

Over 80% of cases have mild symptoms or none at all, these are not included in any 'death rate' figures.

Plus, as you've pointed out, not everyone who dies actually died from the virus itself. There are two cases now in Portugal (out of the six who have died) where they died of other reasons but was discovered they had Covid-19 at the time. They're included in the stats though.

What should be being looked into are the reasons why Italy and Spain have such a high death rate compared to many other countries.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Of course they are, no one alive has had experience of anything like this, the last time it happened was 1918 when the flu killed more people that the war did.

they are doing their best, as are the governments in all countries, without the knowledge of what is going to happen next.

Therefore they are going to make mistakes, they will make the wrong decisions, they also need all people to buy into what they are telling us in the hope that are correct, and if they are not then so be it

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Of course they are, no one alive has had experience of anything like this, the last time it happened was 1918 when the flu killed more people that the war did.

they are doing their best, as are the governments in all countries, without the knowledge of what is going to happen next.

Therefore they are going to make mistakes, they will make the wrong decisions, they also need all people to buy into what they are telling us in the hope that are correct, and if they are not then so be it

Err... it's experienced every single winter.

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I agree. 1918 was a different scenario. Britain just out of a world war and people had poor diets, many under nourished, food in short supply, some living in squalid surroundings, no NHS, people out of work, lack of money, no benefit system, overcrowding in many cities. 

• Like 1

One of the worst things about the lockdown is that people are sitting in front of the television, which is run by people who want the public scared and depressed...

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, DBP said:

Just seen that Daniel Bewley thinks corona virus is a joke and that its not a major threat, he's winging that he's out of work, well millions of others are in the same boat.

Just hope non of his relatives catch the virus he then might change his tune selfish little sod.

Sounds a bit like Basketball star Rudy Goberts' joke about Corvid19 when he touched the table , microphones and tape recorders at a press conference and then was diagnosed with the virus 

3 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Sounds a bit like Basketball star Rudy Goberts' joke about Corvid19 when he touched the table , microphones and tape recorders at a press conference and then was diagnosed with the virus 

Karma is harsh giving him a mild cold

23 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

One of the worst things about the lockdown is that people are sitting in front of the television, which is run by people who want the public scared and depressed...

Too true.... I'm watching the 'Sky Sorts No News' channel at the moment. It's better viewing when the adverts come on!!! :D

• Haha 1

The words of Samwise Gamgee from Lord of the Rings seem particularly apt at this moment in time:

"“It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something. That there is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

The death rate is massively spewed as they are only testing serious cases.

Over 80% of cases have mild symptoms or none at all, these are not included in any 'death rate' figures.

Plus, as you've pointed out, not everyone who dies actually died from the virus itself. There are two cases now in Portugal (out of the six who have died) where they died of other reasons but was discovered they had Covid-19 at the time. They're included in the stats though.

What should be being looked into are the reasons why Italy and Spain have such a high death rate compared to many other countries.

Can't comment on Spain, but a large percentage of cases in Italy are from one region, Lombardy. It is already been said that there are more older people in the country. Also Italian families are more closely linked than many other countries, ie they spend more time together, therefore the virus is easily transmitted.

1 hour ago, Lefty said:

Too true.... I'm watching the 'Sky Sorts No News' channel at the moment. It's better viewing when the adverts come on!!! :D

Right now I have actually started to understand why my wife watches "Judge Judy", no news and a small amount of humor (note it is not "humour" in USA and wife is american. I keep trying to explain that the language is called ENGLISH so we in ENGLAND have the say in how it is spelt but she just doesn't understand.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Really, where do you live?

Because I have never known anything like this, and maybe you are the only one that has

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Really, where do you live?

Because I have never known anything like this, and maybe you are the only one that has

You've never seen 180 people die from a virus related illness in the UK before?

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

You've never seen 180 people die from a virus related illness in the UK before?

Not one with no cure from what i can remember.

• Like 6