British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, norbold said:

I think the big question following yesterday's announcement is: Do crumpets count as essential supplies?

Judging by the people emerging from our local co-op when I went past hot cross buns do so I'm sure you're safe with crumpets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

I'm 95% sure it is him, he did a bit of Speedway as a youngster too then didn't race for years but I know he did some Grasstrack later on before the flat track. He's definitely from Essex and I think he is a year younger than me and I'm 58.

I didn't think he rode speedway, well not to my knowledge. His sister was the girlfriend of Sam Norris's dad (Chris) many years ago. 

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

I didn't think he rode speedway, well not to my knowledge. His sister was the girlfriend of Sam Norris's dad (Chris) many years ago. 

I'm pretty sure he said to me about riding some second halves as a teenager, lad called Flynn Scott used his old leathers. Like my old leathers they were several sizes too small for 50 year old Dave :D

Be surprised if it's not the same feller

9 hours ago, norbold said:

I think the big question following yesterday's announcement is: Do crumpets count as essential supplies?

Talking about essential supplies, i work in the paint industry (Dulux paint) and we have to keep working because apparently we're classed as one of the essential jobs! I fill paint tins for christ sake so hardly a key worker who has to still attend work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vince said:

I'm pretty sure he said to me about riding some second halves as a teenager, lad called Flynn Scott used his old leathers. Like my old leathers they were several sizes too small for 50 year old Dave :D

Be surprised if it's not the same feller

Could be! We may never know! Let's all hope for happy days ahead. ;)

Edited by Ray Stadia

1 hour ago, kevin bass said:

Talking about essential supplies, i work in the paint industry (Dulux paint) and we have to keep working because apparently we're classed as one of the essential jobs! I fill paint tins for christ sake so hardly a key worker who has to still attend work.

At least you may remain sane at the end of the day and will receive a wage rather than a handout (if you're lucky). Just keep washing those hands and keep colleagues 2 metres from your person! 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 12:04 AM, Ray Stadia said:

Sorry, have tried to upload a photo, but have been told it exceeds the limit, not sure why. My bike ( and my riding) was not exceptional, but I enjoyed myself! I started with a Weslake, which developed a weird problem, then switched to a new Jawa engine, Jawa 2 speed gearbox and a Godden frame, was having fun, then lost my job, (sounds familiar), not ridden since! 

If I can do it, anyone can.

ECcWo-BXoAA2nCr.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, kevin bass said:

im in the same boat as you mate, but mine is industrial based, been told as its manufacturing it is not on the close list, so they aren't.  just going by government  and is hard to explain to people why we are now key workers and paint becomes one of the main priorities in this time, we were even given a letter to keep with us at all time to show the police when or if we are stopped, ALL we want to do is help save lives 

Edited by Paul Johnson

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:32 AM, JOS50 said:

If I can do it, anyone can.

ECcWo-BXoAA2nCr.jpg

That is a beautiful JAP, what speedway bikes still should look and sound like!

You look to be taller than the average rider but still really stylish. Also, is that a 22" rear wheel?

On 3/24/2020 at 7:37 PM, kevin bass said:

20 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

im in the same boat as you mate, but mine is industrial based, been told as its manufacturing it is not on the close list, so they aren't.  just going by government guidlines,,nobody is happy about it and is hard to explain to people why we are now key workers and paint becomes one of the main priorities in this time, we were even given a nicely worded letter to keep with us at all time to show the police when or if we are stopped, ALL we want to do is help save lives 

All that paint is going to be needed for the cover up when all this is over and there's an inquiry on how the virus was let in the country, allowed to be spread and why there was not enough preparedness or equipment when pandemic has been at the top of the government's "risk" list for decades.

Keep making the paint they're going to need a lot!

13 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

You look to be taller than the average rider but still really stylish. Also, is that a 22" rear wheel?

Yes...a proper speedway bike!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

im in the same boat as you mate, but mine is industrial based, been told as its manufacturing it is not on the close list, so they aren't.  just going by government guidlines,,nobody is happy about it and is hard to explain to people why we are now key workers and paint becomes one of the main priorities in this time, we were even given a nicely worded letter to keep with us at all time to show the police when or if we are stopped, ALL we want to do is help save lives 

Yeah mate we're just been issued an official looking pass from the company to carry at all times to produce if we're stopped by the police whilst heading to or from work, i wanna know if the police class my trip to and from work as my essential trip out for the day how do i then head again to do some essential shopping without the police then stopping me again and hitting me with a bloody fine!

• Like 1

Just now, Sotonian said:

Not me, it's a modern pic from the U.S.A. rider unknown.  A 22" rear wheel it is for sure, which were used there long after they were banned here, when Martin Ashby first rode over

there they were still in use then.

18 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

Yeah mate we're just been issued an official looking pass from the company to carry at all times to produce if we're stopped by the police whilst heading to or from work, i wanna know if the police class my trip to and from work as my essential trip out for the day how do i then head again to do some essential shopping without the police then stopping me again and hitting me with a bloody fine!

I wonder when the first policeman to say 'where are your papers?' will be. :unsure:

9 minutes ago, kevin bass said:

i suppose they would be different but then again we are in a grey area, no one gives answers .. take the food shopping for example,,, people being told to buy sensibly, but me and you need food for home and a weeks pack up, the canteen is closed and the vending machine is getting empty.  at least i know others are still open as i felt it was just us as others in our group around the world have closed