British Speedway Forum

Must admit I’ve followed this thread from the beginning and found myself shaking my head in disbelief at some of the contributions. Steve Irving you could have literally made a greatest hits from Bwitcher alone, but I didn’t expect anything less from him in all honesty. Some of the others have been disappointing to say the least. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

My comment was made a few weeks ago now and things have moved on since. Have my views changed? I will say that I am FULLY adhering to the current rules. However, my original comment centred around a speedway riders concern about how he was going to earn money, as I recall. I am still concerned about that for the self employed (which I am), for those who live hand to mouth, for those that don't 'fit' with the furlough scheme. For those who are company directors who pay themselves small salaries, which will mean they will be ineligible for anything. Bearing in mind the current speedway demographic, is mainly those who are retired with a fixed income, it's possible the 'how can I put food on the table' doesn't impact on them. And maybe, it is those people on this forum who are criticising (some in a childish fashion), peoples views and opinions, that don't agree with theirs.

A friend who is self employed currently has little work.. 

She pays rent for her property here and gets rent for a property there. 

The Govt class her incoming rent as income, so she misses out on UC. 

To cut a long story short she currently has £39 a month to live on. 

A lot of people are suffering for a whole variety of reasons and Mr Irving would appear to be one of those.. 

4 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

A friend who is self employed currently has little work.. 

She pays rent for her property here and gets rent for a property there. 

The Govt class her incoming rent as income, so she misses out on UC. 

To cut a long story short she currently has £39 a month to live on. 

A lot of people are suffering for a whole variety of reasons and Mr Irving would appear to be one of those.. 

Well, if 'Mr Irving' has good reason to go garrity, he should have explained himself. Maybe then, we could have offered him sympathy. 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, Grachan said:

I have a couple of trips due this year. One is to Germany in April. The other involves changing flights in Hong Kong.

The general feeling seems to be, that Hong Kong is risky. There's the case of the Rugby player who has pulled out of training with the England squad today because he changed flights in Hong Kong.

But, if you look at the figures, I would say Germany and the UK are actually a greater risk than Hong Kong airport.

Hong Kong is now on 100 cases. Germany is nearly double that. The UK is getting a lot of cases recently and is now over half as many people as Hong Kong - where it seems to have virtually stopped in recent weeks.

By June I think flying via Hong Kong will not be a problem. Maybe I should worry more about going to Germany? Or even staying in the UK and getting the tube in London?

Or is it a lot of fuss over a bad cold?

2 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

Only got to page 23. What a bunch of pr!cks you lot are. Didn’t even get to Ray Stadia’s cracking contribution. No hindsight involved either, we were all warned this was coming, but of course it was all “hysteria” and “overblown nonsense”. Should be embarrassed the lot of you. 

Hi "Steve",

May I ask why you felt it neccesary to edit out all of my above quote (which was made when this was still a relatively new story for the UK) except for the last line before referring to me as a "prick".

Thanks.

Edited by Grachan

13 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Must admit I’ve followed this thread from the beginning and found myself shaking my head in disbelief at some of the contributions. Steve Irving you could have literally made a greatest hits from Bwitcher alone, but I didn’t expect anything less than him in all honesty. Some of the others have been disappointing to say the least. 

Bwitcher is probably busy burning down a 5G mast at the moment :rofl:

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 4:23 PM, screm said:

In a perverse way this shut down will probably be saving clubs from making significant losses with low early season crowds etc. You would think that just now clubs outgoings will be just about zero, no wages to be to riders and others and you would think no rent to pay for those clubs with landlords.

Don't teams with work permit riders have to pay a weekly/monthly retainer to those riders ?

2 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Don't teams with work permit riders have to pay a weekly/monthly retainer to those riders ?

How many are still in the country, though?

3 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

How many are still in the country, though?

Don't know but that opens up a minefield as if theyve signed a contract even though the season hasn't started are they still due the money. Can the promotors claim Force Majeure.

25 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

No but it does depend on what they put in the copy of the contract given to the border agency.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:55 PM, Steve Irving said:

Only got to page 23. What a bunch of pr!cks you lot are. Didn’t even get to Ray Stadia’s cracking contribution. No hindsight involved either, we were all warned this was coming, but of course it was all “hysteria” and “overblown nonsense”. Should be embarrassed the lot of you. 

What an insightful post that you have randomly hand picked. I assume you yourself have done your homework on the virus versus generally expected expectations?

You do know that on average over a thousand people die on any given day in the UK? (It was 1400 in 2019 btw) 

You do know that an average of 17,000 die every year from flu in the UK with a high of over 28,000 in 2014/15 and a low of just under 1700 in 2019?  Published by Public Health England btw. Those figures may suggest the high figures was before the current vaccine was successful. 

There are lots of stats out there if you want to educate yourself. I’m assuming you have done the same.

Covid19 still has “flu like symptoms” and no one can deny the severity of the virus. 

Nearly 80,000 have had and recovered from the virus to put the risk factor into context.

Its a serious virus that NO ONE should take lightly anymore. And lockdown is now the only way of slowing it. Until they find a vaccine this will still be a killer. Just like SARS and Flu before it. 

Id love to hear your take on the stats and information shared and those you have clearly seen yourself. 

Replies without personal insults would be appreciated. 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2020 at 6:55 PM, Steve Irving said:

You've personalised it and that's unfortunate and very undignified. Your point however is quite right. There has been some mind boggling postings on this subject. It's tempting to wade in and point out the utter invalidity of comparing other forms of death with COVID-19 quite simply because none of the other "comparables" have been significantly softened by social distancing and self isolation. I could do that, but then I could spend time on a Welsh Rugby Forum extolling the virtues of Will Carling.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:52 AM, iainb said:

Bwitcher is probably busy burning down a 5G mast at the moment :rofl:

People believe all sorts of conspiracies and it's up to them. However it's worth noting that at the end of last year there was a massive war of words between Trump and China. Given the enormous trade deficit of over 300 billion which the US owes to China it's understandable that people will look at conspiracies. After all where would we be without Chinese goods? Just saying!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I've "self-isolated" myself from the other thread on corona virus...just goes round and round in circles and dominated by a certain few.

I'm trying to do that also ! 

One of the dominant voices on that thread lives out in the sticks in Portugal with far lower deaths, so can presumably be more calm and spend time trawling thru websites of stats and the like, knowing that he is in a very cushy position and won't get the virus knocking on his door any time soon.

Sadly, that's not something that many people in the UK can be so sure about. Nearly 500 deaths across 4 hospitals within 10 mins drive of me is certainly enough to make a lot of people in my part of the capital jittery. 

Don't get me wrong, they're entitled to opinions etc, but it's easy to be calm and contrarian from a place of relative safety.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I'm trying to do that also ! 

One of the dominant voices on that thread lives out in the sticks in Portugal with far lower deaths, so can presumably be more calm and spend time trawling thru websites of stats and the like, knowing that he is in a very cushy position and won't get the virus knocking on his door any time soon.

Sadly, that's not something that many people in the UK can be so sure about. Nearly 500 deaths across 4 hospitals within 10 mins drive of me is certainly enough to make a lot of people in my part of the capital jittery. 

Don't get me wrong, they're entitled to opinions etc, but it's easy to be calm and contrarian from a place of relative safety.  

Nothing to do with opinions.

it's facts that are being discussed.

Just because some like fantasies, like the ones on this thread.

As for safe?

Its STILL the case that there have been less deaths from respiratory diseases in the UK this year than the average for the past 5.

Is covid-19 serious? 

YES IT IS.