Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Surely every human being feels some sorrow when anyone dies, possibly less so about the enemy in times of war.

And while it’s right that the politicians should address this in their daily news conferences, I want them to be clear-headed in dealing with the crisis, not grief-stricken.

• Like 1

I do wonder how historians will view the present situation in years to come...although far too early to predict such analysis and judgement...and how future generations will look back on it with curiosity and bewilderment? It's unprecedented and no doubt questions will be asked with the benefit of hindsight in years to come and a proper analysis carried out at the appropriate juncture.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I do wonder how historians will view the present situation in years to come...although far too early to predict such analysis and judgement...and how future generations will look back on it with curiosity and bewilderment? It's unprecedented and no doubt questions will be asked with the benefit of hindsight in years to come and a proper analysis carried out at the appropriate juncture.

You would hope that future generations / Governments would learn from what's happening now, but time tends to erode the lessons learned. 

Sadly the World Wars prove this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Garry1603 said:

You would hope that future generations / Governments would learn from what's happening now, but time tends to erode the lessons learned. 

Sadly the World Wars prove this.

Yes, we seem to remember only living memory.

That’s why politicians and the media keep talking about “unprecedented times” despite pandemics happening before.

Has none of them studied the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic?

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yes, we seem to remember only living memory.

That’s why politicians and the media keep talking about “unprecedented times” despite pandemics happening before.

Has none of them studied the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic?

The 1918 pandemic killed 100 million people worldwide which was an appalling total, but 95% of people escaped it. Any deaths are bad enough but it's important to keep a sense of proportion before people get terrified of ever touching a person or leaving home again. I've seen people going way over the top here and justifying it as being "realistic". The reality is that so far we've sadly lost 10,000 people. This means 99.985% of the British population have survived so far. Stay safe - stay sane. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The 1918 pandemic killed 100 million people worldwide which was an appalling total, but 95% of people escaped it. Any deaths are bad enough but it's important to keep a sense of proportion before people get terrified of ever touching a person or leaving home again. I've seen people going way over the top here and justifying it as being "realistic". The reality is that so far we've sadly lost 10,000 people. This means 99.985% of the British population have survived so far. Stay safe - stay sane. 

Spanish flu killed 100 million worldwide.

Covid has killed 115,000.

That’s perspective.

Put in the current flu and pneumonia figures and you’d have a much more up to date perspective that people could relate to.  

Unfortunately that does not suit the agendas of the government and the media, to control and scare the public.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Spanish flu killed 100 million worldwide.

Covid has killed 115,000.

That’s perspective.

Put in the current flu and pneumonia figures and you’d have a much more up to date perspective that people could relate to.  

Unfortunately that does not suit the agendas of the government and the media, to control and scare the public.

Let's also not forget Covid-19 hasn't killed 115,000... 115,000 have died who happened to have it. Or in some cases.. it was 'guessed' that they had it. Significant difference.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Who thinks this is a Chinese conspiracy to rule the world. It is interesting that cases in China are well down from previous weeks?

Firstly there's the politician in Brazil who thinks the Chinese have deliberately unleashed this to take over the world economy and secondly and possibly more importantly, there is the war of words between Trump and the Chinese over trade which has been going on over trade in the last couple of years.

As I stated in a previous post somewhere, what would we have if the supply of goods from china stopped? Probably rusty cranes at the Port Of Felixstowe and all of us living in houses with just the 4 walls!

Edited by TB1
Spelling

Whilst i do not subscribe to the suggestion that there is a conspiracy by the Chinese, there is little doubt over where it came from and how it was communicated. The Chinese/Koreans etc etc will eat absolutely anything be it dogs/cats/bats/snakes/spiders whatever. I know because the company i work for exports food stuffs to China and the far east. There are certain things people should not eat, and the above eat it. It comes as no surprise that the Chinese/South Koreans have the least reported percentage of deaths by far from this virus. Most have immunity to it. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, one of clubs said:

Whilst i do not subscribe to the suggestion that there is a conspiracy by the Chinese, there is little doubt over where it came from and how it was communicated. The Chinese/Koreans etc etc will eat absolutely anything be it dogs/cats/bats/snakes/spiders whatever. I know because the company i work for exports food stuffs to China and the far east. There are certain things people should not eat, and the above eat it. It comes as no surprise that the Chinese/South Koreans have the least reported percentage of deaths by far from this virus. Most have immunity to it. Simple as that.

Serious question but is it true there is hardly any wildlife in Vietnam because they have eaten everything?

Edited by TB1
Spelling

4 minutes ago, TB1 said:

Serious question but is it true there is hardly any wildlife in Vietnam because they have eaten everything?

No, it’s not true. We certainly saw wild monkeys there.

13 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Fried or roasted ?

Haha.

Why not question our wildlife?  How many animals have become extinct from the UK?

Think also of how domesticated our animals are. Cats, dogs, chickens, horses, cows, sheep, pigs, goats. All kept as pets or food, none truly running wild with the exception of a few horses.

What do we have left as truly wild? Some deer, badgers and small mammals.

Many animals, including all of our domesticated ones and water buffalo roam free in Vietnam.