British Speedway Forum

It looks like Cardiff will have to be moved or cancelled as I understand that BSI have been advised today that the stadium will be used as a hospital until at least 5th July at the earliest and WRFU cannot guarantee whether this will be extended or not it will then need to be derigged which could easily take a week it is then Cardiff week so will they want to take a gamble or not 

17 hours ago, flagrag said:

It looks like Cardiff will have to be moved or cancelled as I understand that BSI have been advised today that the stadium will be used as a hospital until at least 5th July at the earliest and WRFU cannot guarantee whether this will be extended or not it will then need to be derigged which could easily take a week it is then Cardiff week so will they want to take a gamble or not 

We will be lucky if any GP Speedway in 2020, sadly never mind speedway here in UK leagues

The Germans way ahead of UK in handling crisis and you wonder if some Govt Ministers have any ideas on how to curb it ? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Who's that noisy git :lol:

No comment :P;)

IF! we are going to have any meaningful form of league Speedway (U.K. Poland & Sweden) in 2020 it can only happen if there is no SON, G.Ps or most other F.I.M. events. The only event needed other than the domestic league meetings would be a one day world final preferably staged @ an indoor/roofed arena.

Truth is none of us knows what's going to happen - but for 2020 U.K. league speedway to be any sort of a success it can only happen without the numerous interruption of F.I.M. events.

Does anyone else agree with me or do I have just got to much time on my hands?

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

IF! we are going to have any meaningful form of league Speedway (U.K. Poland & Sweden) in 2020 it can only happen if there is no SON, G.Ps or most other F.I.M. events. The only event needed other than the domestic league meetings would be a one day world final preferably staged @ an indoor/roofed arena.

Truth is none of us knows what's going to happen - but for 2020 U.K. league speedway to be any sort of a success it can only happen without the numerous interruption of F.I.M. events.

Does anyone else agree with me or do I have just got to much time on my hands?

I agree with you but FIM will pull rank. Top dogs always get nose in food first. Just you watch. It will happen throughout the whole of speedway.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, Catch Me If You Can said:

We will be lucky if any GP Speedway in 2020, sadly never mind speedway here in UK leagues

The Germans way ahead of UK in handling crisis and you wonder if some Govt Ministers have any ideas on how to curb it ? 

My prediction is that there will be 3 Speedway GPs, all in Poland.

Thats where the money is (at the moment).

On 4/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, ArthurRudge said:

I doubt you will see any form of Speedway in the UK this year at all and this is being realistic.

I agree totally with what you say. I don't think any form of spectator sport will take place in the UK this year. However in speedway terms if this is the case I would like wherever possible to see this years teams effectively transferred to next year. In effect the 2020 season taking place in 2021 with the same declaration of teams.

Edited by TB1
Spelling

Might not be relevant to league Speedway but possibly to the GP's.

The American Supercross series was half way through when lockdown was instigated there and being stadium events looked unlikely to be finalised. However they are now seriously discussing holding all the remaining events in a short space of time in one stadium with no spectators, changing the track between events. It is said they will only allow riders, a mechanic and officials in the stadium all of who will have their temperatures taken on arrival each day. None of the technicians and crew that normally surround these events. The idea is that via TV coverage, expected to be huge with no other events going on, they will meet the needs of sponsors rather than lose them for the following year. Lots still to be decided but it is certainly more than just an idea.

Could it be that a limited Speedway GP series could follow a similar pattern? Possibly even a very limited PL knockout or something to keep BT happy.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Vince said:

Might not be relevant to league Speedway but possibly to the GP's.

The American Supercross series was half way through when lockdown was instigated there and being stadium events looked unlikely to be finalised. However they are now seriously discussing holding all the remaining events in a short space of time in one stadium with no spectators, changing the track between events. It is said they will only allow riders, a mechanic and officials in the stadium all of who will have their temperatures taken on arrival each day. None of the technicians and crew that normally surround these events. The idea is that via TV coverage, expected to be huge with no other events going on, they will meet the needs of sponsors rather than lose them for the following year. Lots still to be decided but it is certainly more than just an idea.

Could it be that a limited Speedway GP series could follow a similar pattern? Possibly even a very limited PL knockout or something to keep BT happy.

I can see sponsorship or indeed the lack of it being a huge issue. I get the point of showing events on tv, even on a pay per view basis. However if or when we get through this then thousands of companies will be reliant on trying to survive the aftermath and keep afloat. Sponsoring sports events will probably be last on the agenda.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TB1 said:

I can see sponsorship or indeed the lack of it being a huge issue. I get the point of showing events on tv, even on a pay per view basis. However if or when we get through this then thousands of companies will be reliant on trying to survive the aftermath and keep afloat. Sponsoring sports events will probably be last on the agenda.

I'm not sure, it has often been the case that sports do well in difficult financial times.

3 minutes ago, Vince said:

I'm not sure, it has often been the case that sports do well in difficult financial times.

It's a fact that Angling has done well in the past when unemployment figures are high, i would imagine that would apply to most low cost participation sports...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

It's a fact that Angling has done well in the past when unemployment figures are high, i would imagine that would apply to most low cost participation sports...

But also even for spectator sports the post war years were a boom time despite it being financially difficult for business and life generally. It seems that when life gets difficult for people entertainment assumes a more important role.

• Like 2