British Speedway Forum

23 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

We should be loking at new cases not deaths to give us an idea of the way the lockdown is working!

No. Deaths is the only definitive measure, despite being subject to a doctor’s judgment of the cause of death.

New cases are more arbitrary, depending on people deciding whether or not to go to hospital, and a testing system that gives too many false negatives (which is why we’re now seeing half of the tests being re-done).

Going slightly off topic but I noticed over the weekend ( and not much about it in the press) but the chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee has accused the Chinese of being less than transparent over their reporting of the virus! Me thinks he's stuck his hand in a hornet's nest.

Staggering to see some sticking to their guns on this. Some nailed their colours to the mast early doors on this virus with their “glorified flu” nonsense and clearly don’t like to admit they were wrong on the internet. It’s ok to hold your hands up and say you misjudged just how bad this horrible virus was/is! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

Staggering to see some sticking to their guns on this. Some nailed their colours to the mast early doors on this virus with their “glorified flu” nonsense and clearly don’t like to admit they were wrong on the internet. It’s ok to hold your hands up and say you misjudged just how bad this horrible virus was/is! 

Imperial College London says Coronavirus kills 0.6% to 0.9% of those infected while flu kills 0.2%.

Sounds like glorified flu to me apart from the fact that it doesn’t kill children in any numbers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Irving said:

120,000 a year die from flu/pneumonia in UK on average..

Let's see what Covid-19 reaches.. and if it comes back every single year...

What's staggering is how such large scale deaths are dismissed as meaningless by folks such as you. Young children and babies in that figure.. all dismissed.

Of course Covid-19 is serious, for the elderly and seriously ill. For the rest it quite simply is not.

It is the elderly and seriously ill that need protecting.

2 hours ago, BWitcher said:

What's staggering is how such large scale deaths are dismissed as meaningless by folks such as you. Young children and babies in that figure.. all dismissed.

Of course Covid-19 is serious, for the elderly and seriously ill. For the rest it quite simply is not.

The deaths recorded are those who have tested posit for covid 19. This isn’t “instead” of the flu, it’s on top of the flu deaths. 

I have to be honest, I'm a mere layman when it comes to everyone else's expertise and knowledge with Covid 19 on here, oh how I wish I had the analytical nowse and scientific qualifications to keep up with the rest of you wonkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

I have to be honest, I'm a mere layman when it comes to everyone else's expertise and knowledge with Covid 19 on here, oh how I wish I had the analytical nowse and scientific qualifications to keep up with the rest of you wonkers.

If you’re furloughed you could try the Open University?

Having said that, GCSE Maths is probably enough to analyse the stats better than the media.

Go for it!

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

If you’re furloughed you could try the Open University?

Having said that, GCSE Maths is probably enough to analyse the stats better than the media.

Go for it!

...which I failed three times!

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...which I failed three times!

Don’t worry, Steve, you know where to see the statistics if you want to! :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jonny the spud said:
4 hours ago, BWitcher said:

The deaths recorded are those who have tested posit for covid 19. This isn’t “instead” of the flu, it’s on top of the flu deaths. 

No the deaths aren't all who have tested positive for Covid-19, not in the UK, or the USA, or Italy.

It is believed it is the case in Germany however.. 

Nobody has ever said it was 'instead' of flu, although that being said there are scientists now beginning to suggest that the deaths may well end up being just that.. 'instead of'.

Edited by BWitcher

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

Don’t worry, Steve, you know where to see the statistics if you want to! :)

I put my trust in you and that "other geezer" getting the maths correct as it's getting beyond me! :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

The facts remain however that a lot of the symptoms are ‘flu like’. In fact I’ve read comments from those who have had it and recovered (non hospital admission) as being like a really bad flu.

What we are yet to see is how the virus responds once dormant and people start to return to some sort of normality. 

I know only too well from my experience as a nurse when a serious flu bug goes around that I’ve been exposed to it several times and sufferered accordingly. When I say flu bug I of course mean virus.

I don’t think even from the off that anyone underestimated how bad this virus was given what we knew of it already. 

• Like 1

one of the side effects of the lock down is the effect it will have on the economy, this will have a huge effect on people's health and mental health...lets hope the cure isn't a bigger problem than the problem itself.

Edited by Odds On
  • Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, DC2 said:

Imperial College London says Coronavirus kills 0.6% to 0.9% of those infected while flu kills 0.2%.

Sounds like glorified flu to me apart from the fact that it doesn’t kill children in any numbers.

One of the most pathetically stupid, ill informed comments I have ever seen. I truly hope you will get it so can correct your idiotic comment when you are fit enough.