British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Wasn’t it only the 1.5 million vulnerable people who received letters, not everyone over 70?

The over 70s who are not vulnerable (and diabetics who are not “vulnerable”) are merely classed as “high risk” but are told they can do exactly the same as a fit, healthy 35 year old.

Oh ok. I just know my parents, who are younger than gustix have been stuck at home for weeks

Just now, iris123 said:

Oh ok. I just know my parents, who are younger than gustix have been stuck at home for weeks

My girlfriend’s parents are 77 and 79 but haven’t received a letter. One has a heart condition and contacted the doctor to check but was told that only certain conditions make one “vulnerable” regardless of age.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

My girlfriend’s parents are 77 and 79 but haven’t received a letter. One has a heart condition and contacted the doctor to check but was told that only certain conditions make one “vulnerable” regardless of age.

That's interesting as my brother in law 80 who has had by pass surgery and is on warfarin,  he spent about 3 months late last year in and out of hospital with diverticulitis and inflammation of gall bladder,  has been type 2 diabetes for several years and my sister in law aged 78 asmatic diabetic and last December was in hospital with pneumonia both assure us that they have had no letter. 

10 minutes ago, Badge said:

That's interesting as my brother in law 80 who has had by pass surgery and is on warfarin,  he spent about 3 months late last year in and out of hospital with diverticulitis and inflammation of gall bladder,  has been type 2 diabetes for several years and my sister in law aged 78 asmatic diabetic and last December was in hospital with pneumonia both assure us that they have had no letter. 

Yes, I can believe that.

The vulnerable list seems to be confined to the terminally ill and those who have had life saving treatments like chemotherapy or open heart surgery in the last six months.

But they should check with their doctor.

Wife  has had two letters, two phone calls and a personal visit.  Has assured  those concerned that we do not need the free food parcel ( even though Chapman  has kept my season ticket money).  She was told that she would probably  get a parcel and if it was not needed to give it to local food bank. There is a suspicion it seems that when food parcels are refused the driver takes then home although they are supposed to take them to the food bank.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I can believe that.

The vulnerable list seems to be confined to the terminally ill and those who have had life saving treatments like chemotherapy or open heart surgery in the last six months.

That is totally untrue , but it does seem very hit and miss. See my post re wife.

5 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I can believe that.

Lol I truly suspect that they may well have had a letter but won't tell us. They are both fine and go out once a week shopping.  I also suspect he will have gone to a garden centre as he's missing his plants. 

Whereas my 94 year old mother had a phone call from her doctor telling her to stay home, she was furious as she felt it was because she was old rather than any illness :rolleyes:, mind you she lives in a warden controlled flat and that was locked down March 20th anyway.

Edited by Badge

2 minutes ago, Badge said:

Lol I truly suspect that they may well have had a letter but won't tell us. They are both fine and go out once a week shopping.  I also suspect he will have gone to a garden centre as he's missing his plants. 

I suspect you are right ,I know of some who have had the letter but choose to reject the advice and restrictions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I can believe that.

Not true at all.

55 years old with diabetes that seems impossible to get under control was sufficient to get me the shielding letter at the end of March. 

From the many conversations I have had with others; none would back up the criteria you believe is operating for shielding advice.

9 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Not true at all.

55 years old with diabetes that seems impossible to get under control was sufficient to get me the shielding letter at the end of March. 

From the many conversations I have had with others; none would back up the criteria you believe is operating for shielding advice.

Everyone i know with type one diabetes got the shielding letter, regardless of age...

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the first letters went out to those that hospitals considered should be shielded. Others were added to the list when GP practices went thro their lists. Think the list has been updated a couple of times. 

My daughter didn't receive her letter until 2-3 weeks ago although we knew from online forums that she should be on the list and acted accordingly before lockdown was announced. We haven't had a food parcel as we said we don't need one, local businesses doing deliveries and lately supermarkets but the local council do arrange for medication to be collected and delivered to us for which we ar very grateful. 

25 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

That is totally untrue , but it does seem very hit and miss. See my post re wife.

Which part of what I said is “totally untrue”?

Here’s the vulnerable list, according to the NHS it’s people who:

have had an organ transplant

are having chemotherapy or antibody treatment for cancer, including immunotherapy

are having an intense course of radiotherapy (radical radiotherapy) for lung cancer

are having targeted cancer treatments that can affect the immune system (such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors)

have blood or bone marrow cancer (such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma)

have had a bone marrow or stem cell transplant in the past 6 months, or are still taking immunosuppressant medicine

have been told by a doctor they you have a severe lung condition (such as cystic fibrosis, severe asthma or severe COPD)

have a condition that means they have a very high risk of getting infections (such as SCID or sickle cell)

are taking medicine that makes them much more likely to get infections (such as high doses of steroids)

have a serious heart condition and are pregnant

33 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I can believe that.

56 with COPD. No hospital visits for years. I've had 2 letters and a phone call. Guess they think i'm nearly fu***ed lol  ;)

31 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Everyone i know with type one diabetes got the shielding letter, regardless of age...

Yes. I only mentioned my age, because it is my age !!

48 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Not true at all.

Could you screenshot your letter and post it on here?  Obviously, don’t show your name and address.

I would like to see one of those as you don’t seem to qualify as “vulnerable” (although I’ve noticed the NHS has now changed this to “extremely vulnerable) and my mother in law has been very concerned that she hasn’t been told to shield (although she is) and she doesn’t qualify for deliveries.