British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

56 with COPD. No hospital visits for years. I've had 2 letters and a phone call. Guess they think i'm nearly fu***ed lol  ;)

So you’ve been told to SHIELD and you’re not allowed to leave your property?

47 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

We haven't had a food parcel as we said we don't need one, local businesses doing deliveries and lately supermarkets but the local council do arrange for medication to be collected and delivered to us for which we ar very grateful. 

We're exactly the same Meg, my wife isn't allowed to leave the house other than for chemo at hospital for the double lung cancer, amongst others.  We've never been offered a food parcel, but would say "No thank you" if it was offered, because as you say, with people delivering or offering to gets bits 'n pieces for us, that would be unfair on those that genuinely need it.

Hope you're keeping well.  

30 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Yes. I only mentioned my age, because it is my age !!

I never doubted you GC :)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Could you screenshot your letter and post it on here?  Obviously, don’t show your name and address.

I would like to see one of those as you don’t seem to qualify as “vulnerable” (although I’ve noticed the NHS has now changed this to “extremely vulnerable) and my mother in law has been very concerned that she hasn’t been told to shield (although she is) and she doesn’t qualify for deliveries.

My letter went missing some weeks ago  ...  It was about five pages long recommending 12 weeks shielding plus all the information on food parcels and mental health assistance.

I have no memory that the word 'vulnerable' was ever specifically used. The terminology was that as I had a significant health condition I had been identified as being more likely to require hospitalization if I contracted the virus and would be more likely to suffer more serious complications as a result.

I know they letter was modified later in April to set shielding to June 30 for those identified later by other protocols, but it is standard letter that every one chosen gets.

57 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Which part of what I said is “totally untrue”?

Here’s the vulnerable list, according to the NHS it’s people who:

have had an organ transplant

are having chemotherapy or antibody treatment for cancer, including immunotherapy

are having an intense course of radiotherapy (radical radiotherapy) for lung cancer

are having targeted cancer treatments that can affect the immune system (such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors)

have blood or bone marrow cancer (such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma)

have had a bone marrow or stem cell transplant in the past 6 months, or are still taking immunosuppressant medicine

have been told by a doctor they you have a severe lung condition (such as cystic fibrosis, severe asthma or severe COPD)

have a condition that means they have a very high risk of getting infections (such as SCID or sickle cell)

are taking medicine that makes them much more likely to get infections (such as high doses of steroids)

have a serious heart condition and are pregnant

Previously you said the vulnerable list seems to be confined to  terminally  ill, those receiving life saving treatments or had open heart surgery. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DC2 said:

So you’ve been told to SHIELD and you’re not allowed to leave your property?

Yep.

Edited by Bald Bloke

11 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Previously you said the vulnerable list seems to be confined to  terminally  ill, those receiving life saving treatments or had open heart surgery. 

Isn’t that what the NHS list says?

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

Everyone i know with type one diabetes got the shielding letter, regardless of age...

Not sure if it's a Scottish thing but my dad (68) is type one diabetic and Nicola hasn't sent him a letter as yet.

DC

I would post it but don't know how to. Things include...

Don't leave your home.

Minimise the time you spend with others in shared spaces, kitchen, bathroom and sitting areas.

Keep 2 meters away from others and sleep in a different bed where possible.

Use separate towels and if possible use different bathroom, or clean your bathroom after every use.

Avoid using the kitchen when others are present.

Take your meals back to your room to eat if Poss. Ensure kitchenware is cleaned thoroughly.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Thanks 1

Just now, King Jamie said:

Not sure if it's a Scottish thing but my dad (68) is type one diabetic and Nicola hasn't sent him a letter as yet.

You would think that would apply to everyone in the UK, but it is Nicola after all :rolleyes: Hope he's fit and well...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Isn’t that what the NHS list says?

It may well be.

But I think we (who are the ones who HAVE received shielding letters) were trying to inform the group of actually how it is working in practice. Which seems to be somewhat different to what you and others have imagined.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

And yet NHS Scotland is held up - in some quarters - as being so much ahead of that awful Tory-run English version. 

I am happy with the Sassenachs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

And yet NHS Scotland is held up - in some quarters - as being so much ahead of that awful Tory-run English version. 

I am happy with the Sassenachs.

I'm sure there are folk who have had letters who are not getting support but from personal experience I cannot fault what has been offered  to my daughter. The only help we have taken up is prescription delivery.

I get annoyed at all the negativity from those that are not directly affected, especially when they get things wrong. If you stop and think of the massive numbers of people on the lists and the very short time the authorities have had to arrange stuff, they have done a bloody good job.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I'm sure there are folk who have had letters who are not getting support but from personal experience I cannot fault what has been offered  to my daughter. The only help we have taken up is prescription delivery.

I get annoyed at all the negativity from those that are not directly affected, especially when they get things wrong. If you stop and think of the massive numbers of people on the lists and the very short time the authorities have had to arrange stuff, they have done a bloody good job.

Could not agree more.

I have not needed any of the assistance offered as I have friends/family who have been able to meet our needs; but others I know have made use of the support and they report only positive things.

In addition as a small business owner i cannot fault the various types financial assistance we have had, so far, and the excellent way the claims processes have worked. 

• Like 3

It pains me to say it, but with the noises coming from the government about team sport "bubbles",  I now can't see a British Speedway league starting this year

• Like 1