British Speedway Forum

If it's so important that we dont have a situation where spectators get close to each other, why is it ok to play football, and have players coming into close contact with each other?

Edited by skydog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

What do we mean by ‘providers of grassroots sport and gym/leisure facilities’?

Providers and operators of space enabling the following activities and facilities may reopen if they are ready to do so and can do so safely, following public health guidance:

· Indoor and outdoor sports courts

· Indoor and outdoor gyms

· Indoor and outdoor swimming and diving pools, including water parks

· Other indoor and outdoor sporting activities (including but not limited to sports fields, rugby, football, hockey, cricket and other pitches, skate parks, climbing facilities, trampoline parks, boxing halls, ice skating rinks, horse stables and arenas, bowling lawns, golf courses, and snowsport facilities, watersports and sporting facilities, track and field facilities)

So theoretically, that means speedway can start doesn't it?

It doesn't mention anything about supporters, but cant people using an indoor gym be classed as supporters?

Edited by The Third Man
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Third Man said:

So theoretically, that means speedway can start doesn't it?

Only if it is grassroots speedway

Rules for recreational cricket limit the total number of people involved in each match to 30 maximum - with all sorts of rules to keep players distanced.  So no crowds of spectators allowed which is still the issue that will stop UK speedway running again thisseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Only if it is grassroots speedway

Yes see what you mean, definition says non professional 

9 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

10 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Theatres can open outdoors with an audience so surely speedway can run as long as everyone is sensible

53 minutes ago, HGould said:

There is one thing missing.

No reference to spectators / crowds.

Team Sports I would suggest are amateur / junior sports like soccer, cricket, netball, hockey etc....

My grandson has been training non contact and socially distances for past 3 weeks so hopefully now some matches.

As for taking him to Villa or Brummies Speedway, I don't think today's announcement make any change at 

21 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Quite probably along the lines of what has happened in Denmark. The 'grassroots' leagues have started without spectators. I.e the meetings where nobody pays to get in. But the professional league hasn't started and are talking about end of August at the earliest before they do

Hopefully grassroots will include amateur speedway. A few meetings at Iwade or Lydd would be a treat.

Extract from report on BBC website:-

Small numbers of supporters will be able to watch outdoor sports, provided social distancing measures are followed.

Read into that what you will!

Of course the problem is still the attendance of medical staff, which aren't normally needed at #grassroots' sports are they, but would be at speedway ? 

I appreciate social distancing can be achieved on the terraces at most tracks. However in the event of rain during the meeting, the crowd migration to getting 'under cover' takes over. Most tracks have a bar / viewing area that could get crammed if rain gets heavier. Would the spectators have to 'sign in' when entering the Bar?

Thoughts.?

Edited by Lefty
Spelling

25 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Extract from report on BBC website:-

Small numbers of supporters will be able to watch outdoor sports, provided social distancing measures are followed.

Read into that what you will!

At a guess max 50 as in a few Scandinavian countries

They didn't mention anything about minimum/maximum crowd levels or people that are presumably in the shielding bracket. I'm confused as to what they really do mean, and most importantly what would be safe for us good people. Life must come before sport etc.

Sorry not very good at posting links but have a read  on the official Speedway GB website, looks to me like we'll get some speedway this year and I for one can't wait.  The Virus is a concern but I'll be taking sensible precautions as far as possible and I reckon us spectators will be able to social distance ourselves to the same extent that we are able to do in Tesco or a pub.  Anyone who feels really worried about the Virus should perhaps not go but my attitude is life must go on and I'll be there (weather permitting.

Official British Speedway
@SpeedwayGB

1 hour ago, Lefty said:

I appreciate social distancing can be achieved on the terraces at most tracks. However in the event of rain during the meeting, the crowd migration to getting 'under cover' takes over. Most tracks have a bar / viewing area that could get crammed if rain gets heavier. Would the spectators have to 'sign in' when entering the Bar?

Thoughts.?

Take an umbrella or waterproofs!

• Like 2