British Speedway Forum

59 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Sorry not very good at posting links but have a read  on the official Speedway GB website, looks to me like we'll get some speedway this year and I for one can't wait.  The Virus is a concern but I'll be taking sensible precautions as far as possible and I reckon us spectators will be able to social distance ourselves to the same extent that we are able to do in Tesco or a pub.  Anyone who feels really worried about the Virus should perhaps not go but my attitude is life must go on and I'll be there (weather permitting.

Official British Speedway
@SpeedwayGB

Speedway GB suggest several Clubs are ready??

What does that mean?

Does it mean most aren't?

More questions than answers!

If I can watch an outdoor arts performance whilst socially distanced (Glyndebourne) then surely I can watch speedway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

Speedway GB suggest several Clubs are ready??

What does that mean?

Does it mean most aren't?

More questions than answers!

I suppose it may depend on stadium owners/staffing etc, hopefully things will become clearer in the next week or so, we might even get a bit more info before the British Speedway Quiz live on YouTube at 8.30 tomorrow night (We never get more than 20 out of 40 but still enjoy taking part)

With a large percentage of supporters at the vulnerable age re COVID, how many will be willing to risk it.... it is a risk

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Of course the problem is still the attendance of medical staff, which aren't normally needed at #grassroots' sports are they, but would be at speedway ? 

I don't foresee that as a major issue - Paramedics are readily available privately and most A&E's are less stretched than they have been for some time.  

Viable numbers of supporters being allowed through the gate is going to be the biggest challenge still - which is why I think it will be the stadiums which are promoter owned that will stage the first set of meetings.  

• Like 1

I'm at the vulnerable age but my thinking is "lots of things in life are a risk, none of us (young or old) know what's round the corner, enjoy life while you can".  I have spoken with relatives who are only in their late 30s who are frightened to go shopping etc, that's no way to live I intend to make the most of whatever time I have left, I'll be as sensible as possible but I will not shut myself away.

• Like 3

Genuine question - As most clubs have been selling club masks, if they are worn, does this mean that the social distancing will be reduced to 1 metre+ rather than 2 metres?

27 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

Genuine question - As most clubs have been selling club masks, if they are worn, does this mean that the social distancing will be reduced to 1 metre+ rather than 2 metres?

Think masks would be a absolute requirement to combat the additional transmission risk in talking above the noise of the bikes. Also I note that one of the suggestions for outdoor music concerts is payment for entry through E Tickets so there is a contact for you in case of somebody attending unknowingly having the virus. Could be that you may need to sign in at the stadium as is required for pubs.

6 hours ago, The H Man said:

I don't foresee that as a major issue - Paramedics are readily available privately and most A&E's are less stretched than they have been for some time.  

Viable numbers of supporters being allowed through the gate is going to be the biggest challenge still - which is why I think it will be the stadiums which are promoter owned that will stage the first set of meetings.  

I was thinking not only the availability of medics, but the necessity, plus actually holding a sport in a proper stadium separates it from being in the 'grassroots' section that is being talked about. I personally can't see speedway being included. Certainly not if you pay to get in, and probably not if you can't pay online

You're probably at more risk of being hit in the face with shale than getting Covid19, so perhaps those full face visors should be mandatory... 2 birds, 1 stone

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LesR said:

There seems an awful lot of hoops to jump through for professional speedway to return if you read through this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-domestic-competition-guidance

I stopped reading when I got to the second "No Spectators".

No Spectators = No Speedway.

Looks like we have to wait for transition from Stage 3 to Stage 4, whenever that may be?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HGould said:

I stopped reading when I got to the second "No Spectators".

No Spectators = No Speedway.

Looks like we have to wait for transition from Stage 3 to Stage 4, whenever that may be?

Also in that paragraph,  elite athletes from no cross border, outside UK and Ireland , to allow competition to take place, 

Reads to me that all the Aussies and Americans cant compete :unsure:

Plus we only need another lockdown, ala Leicester,  to put a stop again.

It really is beginning to look no speedway this season in the uk hope I am wrong though 

6 minutes ago, ray c said:

It really is beginning to look no speedway this season in the uk hope I am wrong though 

Frankly I wish bosses would come to terms with No Speedway  and concentrate on next year. Seems to me even if we started it would be nothing like we had anticipated due to probs with personel

l

• Like 3