British Speedway Forum

BSP Ltd statement on www.speedwaygb.co.uk

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

BSP Ltd statement on www.speedwaygb.co.uk

To me, that seems to be a statement which is far less bullish than some of the comments issued by BSPL over the last few weeks. I sense there is a sad realisation that there will be no league speedway this year.

Best we can hope for is possibly a couple of 'friendlies' or individual meetings and I guess some tracks won't bother at all.

As I have said before, we need to see where football fits in with crowd numbers. Non league football crowds are often similar in size to speedway.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

To me, that seems to be a statement which is far less bullish than some of the comments issued by BSPL over the last few weeks. I sense there is a sad realisation that there will be no league speedway this year.

Best we can hope for is possibly a couple of 'friendlies' or individual meetings and I guess some tracks won't bother at all.

As I have said before, we need to see where football fits in with crowd numbers. Non league football crowds are often similar in size to speedway.

Absolutely. When non league football starts up, so can speedway. Like you say, attendances are very similar.

3 hours ago, HGould said:

I stopped reading when I got to the second "No Spectators".

No Spectators = No Speedway.

Looks like we have to wait for transition from Stage 3 to Stage 4, whenever that may be?

Limiting all non-essential activities, including catering, where possible

No Pie and Peas = No Spectators = No Speedway ;)

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely. When non league football starts up, so can speedway. Like you say, attendances are very similar.

Theoretically. Attendances are similar, but other than that not so. Not with riders travelling around Europe for instance. I doubt many non league footballers travel round to different countries on a weekly basis

The thing that makes me wonder is the case of Denmark. The football is going ahead with a limit of 1,500 fans, but still no news of if the Danish league will start. In fact yesterday two of the teams came out and said they won't be racing this season. So why ? maybe is they can't satisfy the conditions needed to start up , because crowds of 1,500 would be pretty good. Maybe a professional football club is far more professional than a speedway club in that they have a manned working office daily etc, whereas a speedway club is basically run part time mostly by volunteers.Plus of course they need riders coming and going.......

If Eastbourne were staging a meeting tomorrow, I'd go. I'm convinced i could take the necessary precautions to keep myself and others safe. How many more would be prepared to do the same. Promoters must be thinking, if they do get the green light, will it be financially viable for them to run.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Just seen Adam Ellis has fractured his wrist on his charity bike ride, and with doyle,  batchelor's and co in Poland,  who will they get to ride in their team?

On what I have seen regarding attendances over the last few years,I find it hard to believe that it would be viable for some clubs to Open this season for a few meetings unless they have good Sponsorship Deals behind them.The riders will be desperate to earn, but at least they would not a big investment outlay for next year if they don’t ride this season surely.

Edited by Fromafar

43 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If Eastbourne were staging a meeting tomorrow, I'd go. I'm convinced i could take the necessary precautions to keep myself and others safe. How many more would be prepared to do the same. Promoters must be thinking, if they do get the green light, will it be financially viable for them to run.

I'd be there  - and in front of you at the turnstile (ha ha)

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

i agree 100%, i know its safe but catering etc are a reasonable proportion of monies gained by tracks and promotions, that could be the tipping point as wether running or not for them.

1 hour ago, hammer1969 said:

I'd be there  - and in front of you at the turnstile (ha ha)

As long as we're 2 metres apart, i don't mind!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bear_Bottom said:

Limiting all non-essential activities, including catering, where possible

No Pie and Peas = No Spectators = No Speedway ;)

38 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

i agree 100%, i know its safe but catering etc are a reasonable proportion of monies gained by tracks and promotions, that could be the tipping point as wether running or not for them.

Most Speedways nowadays Rent stadiums so don't make anything from Catering so that's not an issue for them, but those who do own and make money from Catering can often rely on it to break even.

Lack of Catering and the vexed issue of Toilets will be a problem for all Sports not in the least Speedway. 

• Like 1

All the new Virus rules must be a nightmare for venues to sort out, still if we can't watch speedway this year we can always go to Alton Towers, Legoland etc as theme parks are now open - does all this make sense - well it doesn't to me

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

All the new Virus rules must be a nightmare for venues to sort out, still if we can't watch speedway this year we can always go to Alton Towers, Legoland etc as theme parks are now open - does all this make sense - well it doesn't to me

Very difficult to see the logic is some decisions.e.g.Test Match cricket but no other cricket:blink: Common sense needs to take over sometime soon.

32 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Me neither.