British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Promoters must be thinking, if they do get the green light, will it be financially viable for them to run.

I think those promotors who have to pay rent for their track/stadium will not even come close to breaking even, so it'll be a massive gamble, and one I doubt many will be prepared to take.

• Like 3

Slightly off the main thrust but went to Tesco this afternoon and it has become a free for all. No following arrows up and down aisles, two metres distancing being totally ignored with people thinking life is normal. No queuing for the check out yet the checkout staff appear unhappy about how all the precautionary measures have been dropped apart from the screens. Well done Tesco, you seemingly know better that all the experts and as long as people keep coming in and you maintain market share sod your social responsibility. Says it all about where society is on the pandemic and profit means more than anything else.

45 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Slightly off the main thrust but went to Tesco this afternoon and it has become a free for all. No following arrows up and down aisles, two metres distancing being totally ignored with people thinking life is normal. No queuing for the check out yet the checkout staff appear unhappy about how all the precautionary measures have been dropped apart from the screens. Well done Tesco, you seemingly know better that all the experts and as long as people keep coming in and you maintain market share sod your social responsibility. Says it all about where society is on the pandemic and profit means more than anything else.

And I suspect your experience is fairly typical for many of the larger supermarkets (it certainly was for my wife and me during a recent visit to a branch of Morrisons). From what I've seen as a delivery driver, the small shops and their customers generally continue to observe the rules.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

Good, the absolute best news possible.

The sooner people realise Covid-19 is no longer a thing the better. It might push the government into restoring some freedom to our lives.

None of you have an issue with walking round a supermarket in January, in weeks where 3,000 people are dying from respiratory diseases (before Covid was even here).. but now there's only around 1300 dying from respiratory diseases (INCLUDING covid-19) and it's still panic stations.

To put it simply, it's not Covid-19 you should be worried about NOW. 

Week ending 26th June, 

1167 deaths with flu/pneumonia
606 with Covid-19.

Covid figures have continued to fall since then.

So if you were never worried about flu/pneumonia, you shouldn't have any concerns whatsoever now.

Things may change again come the winter, but the reality is, that is how things stand.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Go at 6am like I do when there is no one there except the staff some of whom stand in groups a couple of feet apart.

My fave staff member is the guy with the floor cleaning machine, wherever I stop he stops at the side of me, despite the fact the aisle is completely free of people. But other than those little anomalies it's a shoppers paradise at that time

Hopefully a bit more encouraging we will see something this season,

THE board of directors at the British Speedway Promoters Ltd were encouraged by the significant easing of restrictions announced on Thursday.

Oliver Dowden MP, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, revealed how grassroots team sports can resume from this weekend. Sports will need to publish specific guidance approved by government officials.

Members of the British Speedway Promoters Ltd have, in the last two weeks, been working on how our sport can work safely for competitors, officials and spectators alike. We believe the biggest risk to riders is the natural danger element of racing motorbikes with no brakes.

Clubs have already been planning how social distance measures can be taken for spectators and again we must emphasise speedway venues rarely host capacity attendances.

Grassroots team sports inevitably include a small spectator element and we believe we are within touching distance of our sport being able to start a reduced season.

However, we acknowledge the clock is ticking and if we cannot begin league racing in August there is every chance the season will run out of time.

We thank all British Speedway supporters for their patience and understanding and wish to assure everyone we are doing everything within our power to start the season next month in a safe and enjoyable manner.

We will update more as soon as further information becomes available.

17 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

All the new Virus rules must be a nightmare for venues to sort out, still if we can't watch speedway this year we can always go to Alton Towers, Legoland etc as theme parks are now open - does all this make sense - well it doesn't to me

£££££££

13 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Good, the absolute best news possible.

The sooner people realise Covid-19 is no longer a thing the better. It might push the government into restoring some freedom to our lives.

None of you have an issue with walking round a supermarket in January, in weeks where 3,000 people are dying from respiratory diseases (before Covid was even here).. but now there's only around 1300 dying from respiratory diseases (INCLUDING covid-19) and it's still panic stations.

To put it simply, it's not Covid-19 you should be worried about NOW. 

Week ending 26th June, 

1167 deaths with flu/pneumonia
606 with Covid-19.

Covid figures have continued to fall since then.

So if you were never worried about flu/pneumonia, you shouldn't have any concerns whatsoever now.

Things may change again come the winter, but the reality is, that is how things stand.

You spot on by way!  The sooner we move forward in all aspects of life and learn to live with Covid 19 the better. It never fully going away at present. It has taken over all our lives and sadly as on BBC Tv news this morning many other serious illnesses inc Cancer were often put on back burner. We heard this morning of someone passing away as treatment been on hold?

We cannot put aside the lives of people lost to Covid and to the families of course but same with other losses with other disease/illness

Sport is not a major issue when comparing illness but playing to empty stadiums simply has to come to end sooner than later dont you think? There just has to be way forward

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

You spot on by way!  The sooner we move forward in all aspects of life and learn to live with Covid 19 the better. It never fully going away at present. It has taken over all our lives and sadly as on BBC Tv news this morning many other serious illnesses inc Cancer were often put on back burner. We heard this morning of someone passing away as treatment been on hold?

We cannot put aside the lives of people lost to Covid and to the families of course but same with other losses with other disease/illness

Sport is not a major issue when comparing illness but playing to empty stadiums simply has to come to end sooner than later dont you think? There just has to be way forward

Entirely agree with you. Also it's apparently one rule for all depending on whether you want to follow it or not.  Was in a pub yesterday lunchtime, booked our table, had lunch and a drink while watching a group of 30 or so who had reserved all the tables in the conservatory for a party for a 3 year old, loads of kids running about, adults not socially distanced and obviously not from one family/bubble as the rules say and pub staff say nothing.  Life has to go on but in a free country we should all be allowed to live it as we choose and not how we are told to live it. Yes the Virus is serious but everybody has their own problems as well, surely now life should be able to return to normal as long as we all take precautions for our own health (and in case anyone hasn't guessed by now yes I am pretty pissed off with the whole situation but I'm probably in  the minority whose views don't count with the powers that be)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

Entirely agree with you. Also it's apparently one rule for all depending on whether you want to follow it or not.  Was in a pub yesterday lunchtime, booked our table, had lunch and a drink while watching a group of 30 or so who had reserved all the tables in the conservatory for a party for a 3 year old, loads of kids running about, adults not socially distanced and obviously not from one family/bubble as the rules say and pub staff say nothing.  Life has to go on but in a free country we should all be allowed to live it as we choose and not how we are told to live it. Yes the Virus is serious but everybody has their own problems as well, surely now life should be able to return to normal as long as we all take precautions for our own health (and in case anyone hasn't guessed by now yes I am pretty pissed off with the whole situation but I'm probably in  the minority whose views don't count with the powers that be)

I agree. But the government should never have imposed such a draconian lockdown. I can still see Bojo standing behind the lectern telling us we had all been very naughty and saying we had to hibernate. No proper plan, no proper thought. Sod the old folks in the old peoples homes, sod the economy, just take pressure off the NHS, at the cost of everything else! Shambles! And now they realise their mistake, but are having difficulty convincing many people, to come out of their air raid shelter!   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

I agree. But the government should never have imposed such a draconian lockdown. I can still see Bojo standing behind the lectern telling us we had all been very naughty and saying we had to hibernate. No proper plan, no proper thought. Sod the old folks in the old peoples homes, sod the economy, just take pressure off the NHS, at the cost of everything else! Shambles! And now they realise their mistake, but are having difficulty convincing many people, to come out of their air raid shelter!   

Absolutely spot on! The government has made mistakes that generations after us will pay for. In times gone by most of us have seen recessions but not many living have seen a depression! What does it look like, maybe like a scene from mad max? More worryingly now the government has control of our lives  they'll want to keep it that way!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ray Stadia said:

Exactly, but I'm happy to come out of my air raid shelter if there was somewhere I'd like to go, ie speedway, theatres - indoors, etc but as someone in a previous quote said "not if I  have to wear a muzzle"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Local police authorities must have saved an eye watering amount these last few months not having to police town centres and major sports events and the like. Its interesting how the media never seems to report this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TB1 said:

Local police authorities must have saved an eye watering amount these last few months not having to police town centres and major sports events and the like. Its interesting how the media never seems to report this.

Not to mention most of the BBC turning the lights out and going home... while introducing the licence fee for over 75's and producing much reduced output

• Like 2