British Speedway Forum

28 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not to mention most of the BBC turning the lights out and going home... while introducing the licence fee for over 75's and producing much reduced output

They haven't  'introduced' it.

The government has stopped funding it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Out of interest and maybe it's already been mentioned, but are any riders/teams practicing at their tracks at the moment? I know there was grass track practice in Suffolk yesterday, which apparently went well. Obviously adhering to the rules. I imagine spectators weren't allowed. 

8 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

Out of interest and maybe it's already been mentioned, but are any riders/teams practicing at their tracks at the moment? I know there was grass track practice in Suffolk yesterday, which apparently went well. Obviously adhering to the rules. I imagine spectators weren't allowed. 

Berwick have held a behind closed doors practice for some of their riders a few weeks ago, they were due to have another last Saturday but that was rained off. As far as I know both Scunthorpe and Leicester are open for hire, within restrictions of course.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:10 AM, Catch Me If You Can said:

Yes and if they delete from language in 2021 three words SOCIAL   DISTANCE and LOCKDOWN!  LOL

Lockdown is a term used in an American penitentiary when prisoners are rioting. It's a bloody awful term like social and distancing. Presumably it's the media that have started the use of these god awful words? 

Edited by TB1
Spelling

15 hours ago, TB1 said:

Lockdown is a term used in an American penitentiary when prisoners are rioting. It's a bloody awful term like social and distancing. Presumably it's the media that have started the use of these god awful words? 

Probably not the media...as the words are used in many countries. Probably the words were first used by WHO. Be interesting to know.

20 hours ago, screm said:

Berwick have held a behind closed doors practice for some of their riders a few weeks ago, they were due to have another last Saturday but that was rained off. As far as I know both Scunthorpe and Leicester are open for hire, within restrictions of course.

Somerset have a practice for the first time this Wednesday evening - advertised on Speedway GB.

Plymouth have been holding sessions on Saturdays every other week - seen pics at the weekend (very nice new stand too)

Lydd are back using the larger and smaller Tracks - seen pics at the weekend

Redcar are also up and running - seen pics at the weekend - track looked excellent

• Like 1

So does anyone know what’s happening in regards to getting the season started, are we waiting for the next government update or are we expecting a statement some time this week to say we are running in August or what ? If they intend to start first week in August I’m sure people would know by now ? 

15 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

So does anyone know what’s happening in regards to getting the season started, are we waiting for the next government update or are we expecting a statement some time this week to say we are running in August or what ? If they intend to start first week in August I’m sure people would know by now ? 

This was last week

Oliver Dowden MP, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, revealed how grassroots team sports can resume from this weekend. Sports will need to publish specific guidance approved by government officials.

Members of the British Speedway Promoters Ltd have, in the last two weeks, been working on how our sport can work safely for competitors, officials and spectators alike. We believe the biggest risk to riders is the natural danger element of racing motorbikes with no brakes.

Clubs have already been planning how social distance measures can be taken for spectators and again we must emphasise speedway venues rarely host capacity attendances.

Grassroots team sports inevitably include a small spectator element and we believe we are within touching distance of our sport being able to start a reduced season.

However, we acknowledge the clock is ticking and if we cannot begin league racing in August there is every chance the season will run out of time.

We thank all British Speedway supporters for their patience and understanding and wish to assure everyone we are doing everything within our power to start the season next month in a safe and enjoyable manner.

We will update more as soon as further information becomes available

So I doubt we are waiting for the BSPA to announce a date. They like everyone else are waiting for the next government update, whenever that may be. And they hint that if it is some weeks away, then speedway might not start at all

20 hours ago, TB1 said:

First heard the phrase way back in March when we were advised we wouldn't be able to visit a relative in an old folks home the following week as the place would be in 'lock down' for at least 2 weeks.  Think I read somewhere that the BSPA / BSPL will make an announcement re: starting the 2020 season on Tuesday, 14th July....

It appears a lot of you prefer to read forums than the actual releases from the powers that be, the BSPA have a meeting on the 15 th to discuss the issues of starting the season.

stand by your keyboards to moan no matter what they tell you.

Edited by Ringitsneck
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HGould said:

Somerset have a practice for the first time this Wednesday evening - advertised on Speedway GB.

Plymouth have been holding sessions on Saturdays every other week - seen pics at the weekend (very nice new stand too)

Lydd are back using the larger and smaller Tracks - seen pics at the weekend

Redcar are also up and running - seen pics at the weekend - track looked excellent

Iwade have the larger and smaller tracks. I have been to Lydd several times, but don't recall seeing a smaller track.

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Iwade have the larger and smaller tracks. I have been to Lydd several times, but don't recall seeing a smaller track.

Always get them mixed up. 

On 7/12/2020 at 9:51 AM, BWitcher said:

They haven't  'introduced' it.

The government has stopped funding it.

Yes a dirty trick, take the OAP Licence funding from BBC tell them to pay it and then blame BBC when they can't. 

Meanwhile Cummings awards family firms millions in untendered contracts and starts defence review without having iisual security checks or official role. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

Yes a dirty trick, take the OAP Licence funding from BBC tell them to pay it and then blame BBC when they can't. 

Meanwhile Cummings awards family firms millions in untendered contracts and starts defence review without having iisual security checks or official role. 

Not the government at all I'm afraid, it's all BBC reneging on 2015 deal

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1308360/bbc-licence-fee-over-75s-free-tv-licence-andrea-jenkyns

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

First heard the phrase way back in March when we were advised we wouldn't be able to visit a relative in an old folks home the following week as the place would be in 'lock down' for at least 2 weeks.  Think I read somewhere that the BSPA / BSPL will make an announcement re: starting the 2020 season on Tuesday, 14th July....

14th july sounds positive and I guess that way we will know one way or the other. Unfortunately HM Government have done a splendid job of convincing most of the population that we are all going to die in a fire pit of hell that some tracks might struggle to get punters in. After it is already evidently clear that a great number of watering holes are close to collapse due to struggling numbers!