British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

The silence is deafening on the sporting with crowds front.

Ladbrokes/coral own 4 dog tracks, all 4 councils have been asked if crowds can return, 1 yes, 1 no and 2 abstentions so far have been the replys

Two major problems regarding the government's hopelessly mixed messages on covid-easing in relation to crowds attending sports events.

Firstly, given the current restriction that while churches can re-open, singing in them remains banned as it's deemed to be a riskier transmitter of covid-particles, how ridiculous if sports crowds are told they can gather together again but can't cheer for their team ? !!

Secondly, as witnessed especially clearly on the first day of English pubs re-opening last Saturday-week and, coincidentally, in Burnham-on-Sea just a couple of miles from the Somerset Rebels' home track, the current fall-out from a customer finding out they're covid-positive the day after innocently attending a crowded venue is horrendous.

The covid-positive bloke there has become a social pariah and the pub manageress has gone public on how it was left entirely to her to track-&-trace the rest of her 80-or-so customers from that day's business with precious little help from the officialdom supposed to deal with that matter.

If dealing with the aftermath of a crowd of 80 is that wretched, how the hell are any of a speedway club, its stadium landlord or the government agencies going to cope with following-up any subsequent covid-positives among a speedway (or any other sports) crowd of several hundred ? !!

No wonder Ladbrokes-Coral found such a scrambled response from their 4 local authorities (no clue from them about exactly where Monmore in Wolverhampton, a long-time Ladbrokes asset, fitted into those mixed answers as the only speedway venue among the quartet with the other 3 being Ladbrokes' 1980's downsize rebuild of former speedway venue Crayford in the Kent outskirts of London plus the long-time Coral pair of Hove on the Sussex coast and Romford in the Essex outskirts of London). 

9 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Banger/stock car stadiums seem to be phasing spectators in over the next few weekends, as many share stadiums with speedway and get far larger crowds and far more competitors and mechanics. Things must be looking positive toward starting up speedway pretty soon.

Stock Cars have a loophole though as it is a sport where competitors pay to participate. Classed as an amateur Sport and may get permission based on the update by Oliver Dowden last week of participation sports with small crowds.

Local Councils will approve on that basis but Government has yet to confirm what % or number Crowd can be.

It's possible crowd may only be friends and families of drivers.

8 hours ago, arthur cross said:

Two major problems regarding the government's hopelessly mixed messages on covid-easing in relation to crowds attending sports events.

Firstly, given the current restriction that while churches can re-open, singing in them remains banned as it's deemed to be a riskier transmitter of covid-particles, how ridiculous if sports crowds are told they can gather together again but can't cheer for their team ? !!

Secondly, as witnessed especially clearly on the first day of English pubs re-opening last Saturday-week and, coincidentally, in Burnham-on-Sea just a couple of miles from the Somerset Rebels' home track, the current fall-out from a customer finding out they're covid-positive the day after innocently attending a crowded venue is horrendous.

The covid-positive bloke there has become a social pariah and the pub manageress has gone public on how it was left entirely to her to track-&-trace the rest of her 80-or-so customers from that day's business with precious little help from the officialdom supposed to deal with that matter.

If dealing with the aftermath of a crowd of 80 is that wretched, how the hell are any of a speedway club, its stadium landlord or the government agencies going to cope with following-up any subsequent covid-positives among a speedway (or any other sports) crowd of several hundred ? !!

No wonder Ladbrokes-Coral found such a scrambled response from their 4 local authorities (no clue from them about exactly where Monmore in Wolverhampton, a long-time Ladbrokes asset, fitted into those mixed answers as the only speedway venue among the quartet with the other 3 being Ladbrokes' 1980's downsize rebuild of former speedway venue Crayford in the Kent outskirts of London plus the long-time Coral pair of Hove on the Sussex coast and Romford in the Essex outskirts of London). 

It seems that Dog Tracks are guarding "betting levy turnover" and understandably as that's majority of any income. If a speedway event with a few hundred people delivers a positive test the Stadium is automatically closed for 7-14 days and  some Dog Tracks have 4-5 meetings a week. That would be very negative for Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Kent; Sheffield, Newcastle (as we have seen); Swindon chances. The Dogs have not restarted at Poole as the Stadium staff are all on furlough still.

The best hope currently seems to be the Stock Car venues although Speedway is classed in a different category to Stocks as payment is made it's considered "professional" but may be good news for King Lynn, Ipswich ; Scunthorpe, Mildenhall and Eastbourne who stage Stock Car Meetings.  

The "standalone" Speedway Tracks like Berwick, Edinburgh, Redcar, Leicester, Belle Vue, Somerset; Plymouth, Peterborough , IOW will have to decide whether it's viable to open for speedway alone or with other stadium uses to cover their costs.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

but i sense by the lack of enthusiasm on here that i might be in the minority.

If you're looking for enthusiasm on these forums, you're looking in the wrong place... even in the best of times :rofl:

10 hours ago, arthur cross said:

how ridiculous if sports crowds are told they can gather together again but can't cheer for their team ? !!

It'd be like going to Ippo every week with their no air horns policy :nono:

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

If you're looking for enthusiasm on these forums, you're looking in the wrong place... even in the best of times :rofl:

It'd be like going to Ippo every week with their no air horns policy :nono:

Just get a dirty great bell like me!! :)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Just get a dirty great bell like me!! :)

With or without the end? 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, arthur cross said:

It would be easy for tracks to do track and trace if everyone had to prepay; their details would be on file for each meeting.

• Like 2

Forget it see you next season 

be shocked if any speedway goes ahead this season, sincerely hope I am wrong , and also the situation in Poland can’t be good either 

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

It would be easy for tracks to do track and trace if everyone had to prepay; their details would be on file for each meeting.

This is the sort of common sense approach that is light years away in this country..

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

That is exactly what Spedeworth are doing at Ipswich and Aldershot for their first two meetings. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

That is exactly what Spedeworth are doing at Ipswich and Aldershot for their first two meetings. 

Well done to them, I'd say.

3 hours ago, Skodaman said:

It would be in theory, but the case of the pub with just 80 people to contact shows it ain't easy. Depends on how many the government will allow into speedway, if they even do this year. But 500 people for a promoter or staff to contact out of the blue and with other stuff to get sorted as well, might be ok for a professional football club. I would imagine for a speedway promotion that could be a nightmare

Edited by iris123

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It would be in theory, but the case of the pub with just 80 people to contact shows it ain't easy. Depends on how many the government will allow into speedway, if they even do this year. But 500 people for a promoter or staff to contact out of the blue and with other stuff to get sorted as well, might be ok for a professional football club. I would imagine for a speedway promotion that could be a nightmare

They need to be proactive, and be seen to be doing something. If this virus sticks around long term, you might as well consign speedway to the history books.

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

They need to be proactive, and be seen to be doing something. If this virus sticks around long term, you might as well consign speedway to the history books.

Whilst I agree the problem in Poland and with all the money they have has shown just how plans can go wrong very quickly. The British league if there is to be one will have problems from the off under pressure starting so late, then add the normal weather problems and all of a sudden your whole team has to isolate because someone in the pits had Covid.......not my money being gambled, but if it was I think I would wait till next year

Not only that just imagine (not that I am that bothered) if a similar thing happens at the GPs if they get started......all those flights and hotels booked and you find the whole thing is off.

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Whilst I agree the problem in Poland and with all the money they have has shown just how plans can go wrong very quickly. The British league if there is to be one will have problems from the off under pressure starting so late, then add the normal weather problems and all of a sudden your whole team has to isolate because someone in the pits had Covid.......not my money being gambled, but if it was I think I would wait till next year

Not only that just imagine (not that I am that bothered) if a similar thing happens at the GPs if they get started......all those flights and hotels booked and you find the whole thing is off.

To be honest, i think league racing this year is out of the question. If some tracks have the confidence to run a few open meetings, let them. I fear that the majority wont.

• Like 2

Just now, cityrebel said:

To be honest, i think league racing this year is out of the question. If some tracks have the confidence to run a few open meetings, let them. I fear that the majority wont.

That would make more sense