British Speedway Forum

This from the British Speedway website dated July 10 .... (with my bold and underline)

"Members of the British Speedway Promoters Ltd have, in the last two weeks, been working on how our sport can work
safely for competitors, officials and spectators alike. We believe the biggest risk to riders is the natural danger element of racing motorbikes with no brakes."

I am sorry, but with that type of attitiude , I really do not see speedway starting this year. What are they saying ... speedway is a dangerous sport anyway so we don't need to do anything ????
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

This from the British Speedway website dated July 10 .... (with my bold and underline)

"Members of the British Speedway Promoters Ltd have, in the last two weeks, been working on how our sport can work
safely for competitors, officials and spectators alike. We believe the biggest risk to riders is the natural danger element of racing motorbikes with no brakes."

I am sorry, but with that type of attitiude , I really do not see speedway starting this year. What are they saying ... speedway is a dangerous sport anyway so we don't need to do anything ????

You do have to ask who's advising them on their communications.  

Surely the main point is also the risk of spectators spreading it around? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You do have to ask who's advising them on their communications.  

Surely the main point is also the risk of spectators spreading it around? :rolleyes:

I can't help but feel the driving force in all this is money rather than concern for riders and spectators

8 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

I can't help but feel the driving force in all this is money rather than concern for riders and spectators

I'd have thought not running speedway would actually save money. :D

The major sports have so much television and sponsorship money riding on them, that it's still worth their while to run behind closed doors. I can't see though, how speedway could be run without spectators as that must be its major/only source of income, at least in Britain. And it's been practicing social distancing in the stadiums for years... 

Even for the SGP, running without spectators must be really be getting close to being unviable.  

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Can’t believe that statement,says it  all about how the sport is being run by people who haven’t a clue.Its like they have just discovered the bikes have no brakes:rolleyes:

Edited by Fromafar
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

That’s why they should forget this year.Most of them will lose less money than in previous seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Can’t believe that statement,says it  all about how the sport is being run by people who haven’t a clue.Its like they have just discovered the bikes have no brakes:rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head there! The sport has been run by unfit "custodians" of the sport in the UK for all of this century. Muddleheaded and clueless. I am very sad to say. Is that right, speedway bikes have no brakes, it does sound rather dangerous - although very few spectators have been killed over the years ( even at High Beech ). Riders have sadly been kiled over the years, but usaully down to poor safety fences and equipment etc.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

To be honest, i think league racing this year is out of the question. If some tracks have the confidence to run a few open meetings, let them. I fear that the majority wont.

Seems like they are still looking at a possible league campaign next month if allowed according to this from SpeedwayGB

PETERBOROUGH co-promoter Colin Pratt is working with the club’s landlords at the East of England Arena for dates should a new season be able to start next month.

Club chiefs haven’t given up hope of staging racing this year and Pratt has confirmed dates would be available for a shortened league campaign.

He said: “The Showground is opening up shortly, and a lot of shows that were to have run during the lockdown period are being transferred to later in the year.

“At the moment those are plans being put into place rather than definite, because it’s still all subject to government policy and also local regulations.

“We will be working with the Showground and I am being kept informed of what dates would be available for speedway, if restrictions allow.”

Ah good to see .... Pratt an ex rider  has been around the sport for a good few years ...... I bet he is one step ahead of the rest of the other promoters .. and has suggested to the landlords of the showground that he will be getting brakes fitted to all the Peterborough riders bikes to minimise risks 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Did I read somewhere that there was an SCB meeting yesterday or am I imagining it? 

If there was you'd have thought we might have heard something by now about a potential restart or not of some kind of speedway this year. 

4 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

If there was you'd have thought we might have heard something by now about a potential restart or not of some kind of speedway this year. 

What the hell are you thinking? After all, this is British speedway you're talking about... :blink:

12 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

Did I read somewhere that there was an SCB meeting yesterday or am I imagining it? 

That's what i thought. I've got a mate in the know and he's heard nothing either. It would be easier to get info out of the KGB!

• Like 1

It is not the KGB you need to worry about but the Russian hackers of the APT29, Cozy Bear or the Dukes with the cyber warfare of trying to access areas that are doing Covid vaccine trials.

My view is that if Speedway should start at all this year it will be with smaller than usual crowds, which are already poor. On the other hand if there is no Speedway I can envisage a number of clubs who will not re open the following season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

It's funny but when I read this, I read it as a tongue in cheek type of comment,  like in our opinion the riders biggest risk is riding the bikes rather than getting covid:unsure:

But that's just my interpretation. 

• Like 3