British Speedway Forum

I would say that speedway this season virtually imposable, maybe the odd track could stage an open meeting or two in October. Covid19 is going to be around for years to come and something that is going to have to be dealt with locally like Leicester each time.

Come the winter they are already talking of a second wave with a big spike in numbers again and the possibility of further lockdowns and if that happens the 2021 season could be heading for a late start as well for some if not all. If this happens will speedway in this country as we know it survive? :angry:

6 hours ago, leander said:

It is easy to say British speedway stadia could cope with the size of the crowds at most meetings compared to capacity, and maintain social distancing. However, if you look at Poland with 25% capacity crowds social distancing is virtually non- existent with huge areas of the stadium empty and everyone standing in "clumps" of 40 or more, because they want to be with their mates. They can't all be relatives. 

Notwithstanding that " no fans in stadia until October" effectively rules out anything for this year, I have heard rumours that Greyhound stadiums, which are holding televised closed door meetings for dogs, will not allow any crowds into their stadiums (even if speedway had got the go ahead) to preserve the sanitised area from possible cross contamination). 

Watching the Polish matches cos it's speedway and I'm interested to see how SD could work in a speedway stadium and maybe could work for UK speedway but must admit I despaired at the way some of the crowd all piled into the same area, some masked up, many not.  OK; free word, free will, etc I get it, I'm all for living your own life your way but - when it probably prolongs lockdown & SD regulations and therefore impacts on others by keeping lives on hold, well, sigh ;)....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

19 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Snooker is indoors and is allowing fans for trials. So can only hope that speedway will be included. 

With Snooker you can easily identify anybody coughing and they can be jumped on, bagged up and thrown out onto the street :rofl:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

With Snooker you can easily identify anybody coughing and they can be jumped on, bagged up and thrown out onto the street :rofl:

Used to annoy me watching snooker and the number of people continually coughing in the audience.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tonyd said:

I would say that speedway this season virtually imposable, maybe the odd track could stage an open meeting or two in October. Covid19 is going to be around for years to come and something that is going to have to be dealt with locally like Leicester each time.

Come the winter they are already talking of a second wave with a big spike in numbers again and the possibility of further lockdowns and if that happens the 2021 season could be heading for a late start as well for some if not all. If this happens will speedway in this country as we know it survive? :angry:

It might survive at a semi professional level, but a lot of riders might have to take a 'real' job to make ends meet. Will all of the stadiums still be in business, that is the question.

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Used to annoy me watching snooker and the number of people continually coughing in the audience.

I went to watch it at The Crucible last year and it was all I could do to stop myself from snoring :blush:

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It might survive at a semi professional level, but a lot of riders might have to take a 'real' job to make ends meet. Will all of the stadiums still be in business, that is the question.

Something that in an interview with Eric Monaghan in the latest edition of "Backtrack" touches upon whereby his great mate, Nigel Crabtree, comments upon modern young kids not working thinking that they're superstars. Eric also mentions the lack of characters within the sport nowadays and how referees don't appear to encourage a bit of a "bust-up or fracas".

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Something that in an interview with Eric Monaghan in the latest edition of "Backtrack" touches upon whereby his great mate, Nigel Crabtree, comments upon modern young kids not working thinking that they're superstars. Eric also mentions the lack of characters within the sport nowadays and how referees don't appear to encourage a bit of a "bust-up or fracas".

I remember John Davis saying something similar about young riders years ago , saying  like that they've got two bikes each and a van with their name on it , before they've  even made a name for themselves 

• Like 3

Let’s go back 50 years and 99% of riders had jobs it was a semi professional sport for the majority.

Rider costs were far cheaper so today you cannot rock up and pull a bike from the boot and a box of spanner’s and ride....unfortunately.!

Did they not mention elite sport yesterday , from oct 1.

Surely speedway isnt going to be put under that banner

1 hour ago, GWC said:

Let’s go back 50 years and 99% of riders had jobs it was a semi professional sport for the majority.

Rider costs were far cheaper so today you cannot rock up and pull a bike from the boot and a box of spanner’s and ride....unfortunately.!

Unfortunately the advent of four valves and lay downs, diamond frames, alloy wheels, linked forks, tyres etc  pushed the costs up over time whereas attendances have dropped significantly which has helped create the present dilemma...certainly in this country.

Edited by steve roberts

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Used to & still does annoy me when a phone goes off. There are signs on the entrances to the auditoriums & pre match warnings/advice.

If a phone goes off, kick them out & keep them out!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Watching the Polish matches cos it's speedway and I'm interested to see how SD could work in a speedway stadium and maybe could work for UK speedway but must admit I despaired at the way some of the crowd all piled into the same area, some masked up, many not.  OK; free word, free will, etc I get it, I'm all for living your own life your way but - when it probably prolongs lockdown & SD regulations and therefore impacts on others by keeping lives on hold, well, sigh ;)....

It's actually this attitude that is prolonging things.

The more you follow.. the more you will be led.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The problem with this is, very often, the ones who bemoan the lack of characters are the first to be up in arms at the first sign of a 'bust-up or fracas'.

• Like 2