British Speedway Forum

30 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

have another guess, third time lucky, in the last 24 hours 47 people have died within 28 days of having a positive test, what they died of we don't know 

If you read my first post proper I was asking had I heard right, obviously not, according to Sky news that I since read, that’s where I got the info..........

There have been another 7,143 cases of coronavirus reported in the UK in the last 24 hours - the biggest rise since the pandemic began.

71 coronavirus-related deaths have also been recorded - the highest number since 1 July.

The significant rise in COVID-19 cases comes after the number of positive tests fell at the weekend, with Monday's figure at 4,044 cases.
Edited by OveFundinFan

Average number of smoking related deaths each day in the UK - 213

Also a further 11 per day attributed to passive smoking

Remind me when was smoking made illegal? Oh it hasn't- why not then given those numbers?

Lost tax revenue is the often used arguement but that surely cant be so anymore given the cost so far (and continuing) 'dealing' with the current situation

• Like 2

A £300m rescue package covering eleven professional sports has been announced, other than both rugby codes, basketball and netball I can’t find details in the sports covered, I wonder if speedway will be one of the beneficiaries? 

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

A £300m rescue package covering eleven professional sports has been announced, other than both rugby codes, basketball and netball I can’t find details in the sports covered, I wonder if speedway will be one of the beneficiaries? 

Depends if Rob Godfrey is married to a Tory MP :lol:

The only motor sport interests listed are the owners of the likes of Silverstone and Goodwood. No speedway included as far as I can tell.

42 minutes ago, Mike.Butler said:

doesn't look ike it unless the greyhound people are passing some on..

Speedway not an "Elite" sport then? 

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Speedway not an "Elite" sport then? 

:rolleyes:

Speedway is more invisible than Elite. How many people actually know what it is.

17 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Speedway is more invisible than Elite. How many people actually know what it is.

They should have got going last season when the Level 7 non league football teams got the go ahead.. 

600 fans max wouldnt have been far off a usual crowd for many teams and more than usual for some..

Maybe could have charged a few quid more as well given the circumstances..?

Many fans would have supported that increase given the situation I would have thought, just to see some 'live' Speedway.

2 minutes ago, mikebv said:

They should have got going last season when the Level 7 non league football teams got the go ahead.. 

600 fans max wouldnt have been far off a usual crowd for many teams and more than usual for some..

Maybe could have charged a few quid more as well given the circumstances..?

Many fans would have supported that increase given the situation I would have thought, just to see some 'live' Speedway.

I totally agree with you. I saw 4 live speedway meetings last season,  compared to 24 non league football matches in the same period. I had the will, but very few tracks wanted my money.

The problem isn't the number of spectators, it's the size of the stadium to allow social distancing.

19 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

The problem isn't the number of spectators, it's the size of the stadium to allow social distancing.

I've been to quite a few non league games recently where the attendance was around the 600 mark. Amateur sport has different rules to so called Elite sports like speedway, where a 600 turn out would be classed as a good crowd at some venues.

But if there's not enough room then it wouldn't have been 600. You could get 600 into Berwick whereas you couldn't at Glasgow.

Edited by tyretrax

Nowhere can I find a full list of the 11 sports to be helped except that the Times hewspaper stated that they are winter sports, however can basketball and  netball be so described?

23 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The package provides compensation for the sports covered /operating from December to March 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1