British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, Knowle said:

however can basketball and  netball be so described?

Yes. The basketball season in uk has just started. 

• Like 1

So Speedway "Elite" to not allow crowds in but not "Elite" enough to be given any money... can't say I'm surprised, as a sole director employee running my own company I've also been totally stitched up by the government!

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

So Speedway "Elite" to not allow crowds in but not "Elite" enough to be given any money... can't say I'm surprised, as a sole director employee running my own company I've also been totally stitched up by the government!

The money being provided to sporting organisations  is as a loan to cover some loss of earnings for sports (for now) operating between Dec 2020 & March of next year. 
Consequently there is no point in a speedway club applying for a loan to cover a period when no significant income would be expected from live meetings. Cricket would be another example of a sport that does not meet the criteria. 

• Thanks 1

Its a Winter bail-out fund covering November 2020 to March 2021. Speedway like Cricket doesn't run in the Winter!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikebv said:

Speedway not an "Elite" sport then? 

:rolleyes:

No, it isn’t. 

if only they had kept the ELITE league name and not stole the premier name from the grass roots of speedway .   robbers never  prosper   :icon_smile_clown:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mikebv said:

Speedway not an "Elite" sport then? 

:rolleyes:

Yes It is,
But doesn't run during the period  the loans are now being made available to apply for. 

2 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Yes It is,
But doesn't run during the period  the loans are now being made available to apply for. 

Rugby League and Rugby Union are "summer" sports...

As is Lawn Tennis..

They all got funding....

I also presume most of the indoors sports also carry on during the summer and not exclusively get played in winter?

And horse racing is all year round...

I would think it's more down to Speedways almost zero profile that has seen them "overlooked" (maybe not intentionally),and/or could be down to much better, organised lobbying getting carried out by other sports, to ensure they remained in the forefront of the Government thoughts..?

• Like 2

Since when has rugby union been a summer sport? September to May season as a rule.  Rugby league at elite level Feb to October, at community level January to Sept.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Rugby League and Rugby Union are "summer" sports...

As is Lawn Tennis..

They all got funding....

I also presume most of the indoors sports also carry on during the summer and not exclusively get played in winter?

And horse racing is all year round...

I would think it's more down to Speedways almost zero profile that has seen them "overlooked" (maybe not intentionally),and/or could be down to much better, organised lobbying getting carried out by other sports, to ensure they remained in the forefront of the Government thoughts..?

All seems very ambiguous to me.

According to today's Daily Telegraph  Rob Godfrey stated that he has had clarification from the DCMS that  he will need to apply for some loan from an  extra pot that is available and he is very disappointed that speedway wasn't in the original blueprint. It is all rather confusing when statements are made that the current loans are to compensate for reduced spectator income lost in the coming months only hence cricket is not mentioned.  Is tennis a major spectator attended course in the winter and how did greyhound racing qualify?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knowle said:

According to today's Daily Telegraph  Rob Godfrey stated that he has had clarification from the DCMS that  he will need to apply for some loan from an  extra pot that is available and he is very disappointed that speedway wasn't in the original blueprint. It is all rather confusing when statements are made that the current loans are to compensate for reduced spectator income lost in the coming months only hence cricket is not mentioned.  Is tennis a major spectator attended course in the winter and how did greyhound racing qualify?

And Super League finishes next Friday, and starts again in March...:rolleyes: