British Speedway Forum

Think you will find after the Ben fund meeting runs tomorrow,  there will be no more speedway for a good few weeks :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Me and the wife are of "the elderly", but we had a call from our son tonight who has just got home from a NHS meeting where obviously coronavirus had been discussed.  His message for us was to restrict where we go, who we visit, do a big shop one day a week, not do multiple trips, because "this is serious" and is going to get worse, a lot worse.  For sure we each decide to do what we want to do, but it would be foolish to ignore warnings, this is not a scam!

I quite agree this is very serious, unfortunately this virus will probably be with us for a very long time until someone finds an inoculation to try to guard against it.  In the meantime we all need to be sensible and take precautions as your son advised but life has to go on, let's hope we'll all be able to attend Speedway and other events in the not too distant future without having to worry.

2 hours ago, Mimmo said:

With my wife having double lung cancer, and me a lung disease, I've got to seriously think about not going to speedway, whilst this is all going on.

Thought you wearnt  the going anyway due to BB issues

17 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

Thought you wearnt  the going anyway due to BB issues

He said not Peterborough..

From what I saw in shops today the priorities were bog rolls beans and booze

12 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

From what I saw in shops today the priorities were bog rolls beans and booze

Here it is hand sanitizer(for weeks) now bog rolls and pasta, to a lesser extent long life milk.

26 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

Here it is hand sanitizer(for weeks) now bog rolls and pasta, to a lesser extent long life milk.

Yep, same here plus tinned Fray Bentos pies!

• Haha 2

Will all be suspended after tomorrow.

Right now, I don't think we see a 2020 british speedway season.

Poland have stopped international flights. The chaos this will cause will quite frankly, not be worth the pain.

Track availability in this country will be a huge deciding factor.

I'm heading to Scunthorpe tomorrow to get the only fix I'll be getting this year!

10 hours ago, iris123 said:

Aren't you supposed to do that anyway ? Generally you are licensed for a certain capacity and should count people in to avoid going over the limit. Failure to do so can result in a fine or loss of license

Iris.. has Germany got a more efficient testing service at the moment? 

I note the death rate there is 0.2%... far lower than most other places, this suggests those with mild symptoms are being tested more.. is that so?

The rate including those in serious condition is 0.29%.. 

Worlwide figures at the moment:

Italy 7.17%
China 3.93%
Iran 4.52%
South Korea 0.89%
Germany 0.20%
Spain 2.54%
France 2.16%
USA 2.14%
UK 1.38%
Switzerland 0.97%
Netherlands 1.24%
Japan 2.86%

Overall 3.72%

Edited by BWitcher

As I said on the other thread I have seen a report on people going to one test center, obviously feeling unwell and having to wait outside for hours and then being sent away, which I wouldn’t call efficient. But have nothing to compare it with, so no idea whether it is better or worse than elsewhere. Though seeing Trumps press conference last night it does sound like Germany is better than the US. He or one of the others stated the US can test 15-20,000 per day for 200,000,000 population and Germany have stated they can test 20,000 for 80,000,000. But again it is all in theory I think if the cases are well spread out.At the moment there are regions with a lot of cases and some with few

13 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

With regard to crowds: heard doctor say on radio today that a person with coronavirus would give it to a handful of people they were next to -- it wouldn't spread right round the crowd. So, no different that being in a pub.

And then of course, those handful of people are capable of infecting another handful of people in another crowd or on the bus or in the pub etc. That is how an epidemic works. Every infected person is capable of passing it on and very likely will do. The danger is in close contact in whatever setting.

• Like 1

Front page of The Times this morning again suggests that any limit on Sporting Events may not stopSpeedway.

They think crowd limit could be as high as several thousand as the main reason to stop some Events is not the risk of infection but to stop those that need big policing.

What BSPA will have to decide is whether there are enough riders in UK to cover their teams and what Guest/Replacement options may be for riders quarantined and unable to leave other Countries. If Poland and Sweden close and riders like Doyle are resident in UK seems obvious they will sit tight and ride here and risk getting stuck in Poland. 

Do BSPA go for blanket ban ?? 

Edited by HGould
added final question

Its inconceivable to think this virus wont affect the new season.

I can see a lot of businesses, even some big ones, struggling through this, some even disappearing.                      
I wonder how this will affect speedway sponsorship, either team or individual riders. Certainly GP riders require a lot of sponsorship to be competitive through a whole season, Emil went awol for 3 years cause he couldn’t raise funds to compete at highest level.              
we know sponsorship in Poland is crazy high, riders getting £1k per point it is said. What happens to Polish speedway if sponsorship collapses.                                        

Interesting times ahead.