British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

Nothing to do with opinions.

it's facts that are being discussed.

Just because some like fantasies, like the ones on this thread.

As for safe?

Its STILL the case that there have been less deaths from respiratory diseases in the UK this year than the average for the past 5.

Is covid-19 serious? 

YES IT IS.

My post was responding to Steve and regarding the thread being taken over by certain people . 

I'd rather not get into specifics with you as it's frankly tiring and it's my birthday, and yes i'm sure you can show plenty of facts to show the rates etc, but this isn't comparable in absolute terms when this has large geographical trends that aren't consistent with the last 5 years deaths for respiratory illness.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

My post was responding to Steve and regarding the thread being taken over by certain people . 

I'd rather not get into specifics with you as it's frankly tiring and it's my birthday, and yes i'm sure you can show plenty of facts to show the rates etc, but this isn't comparable in absolute terms when this has large geographical trends that aren't consistent with the last 5 years deaths for respiratory illness.  

The issue is quite simply, some operate under the belief that nobody died before Covid-19, we've seen many of them on this thread. They ridicule flu/pneumonia.

Flu/pneumonia up till 27th March this year has killed 28,398. 

Covid-19 is a massive problem because it happens fast and as you know creates the strain on hospitals.

It's not been helped that the flu season was mild, normally around 34,000 have died from flu/pneumonia... but only 28,398 have.. that's meant a lot of vulnerable people were ripe for the picking, which Covid-19 has done.

Had we had a worse flu season, it would have passed un-noticed and the deaths from Covid-19 wouldn't have been so harsh.

Unfortunately its a bad combination of the two, although the end result is same amount of deaths.... up to this point.

The deaths will continue to rise however as Covid-19 continues its rampage. 

Particularly of concern is its effects when it gets into care homes.

Edited by BWitcher

5 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The issue is quite simply, some operate under the belief that nobody died before Covid-19, we've seen many of them on this thread. They ridicule flu/pneumonia.

Flu/pneumonia up till 27th March this year has killed 28,398. 

Covid-19 is a massive problem because it happens fast and as you know creates the strain on hospitals.

It's not been helped that the flu season was mild, normally around 34,000 have died from flu/pneumonia... but only 28,398 have.. that's meant a lot of vulnerable people were ripe for the picking, which Covid-19 has done.

Had we had a worse flu season, it would have passed un-noticed and the deaths from Covid-19 wouldn't have been so harsh.

Unfortunately its a bad combination of the two, although the end result is same amount of deaths.

I'm very sure people didn't operate under the notion that no one died before this.  Anyway, do you have a link to those figures in respect of geographical breakdown of the pneumonia numbers as i imagine there is no correlation between that and what we are experiencing here.

I have to disagree re the worse flu season etc making these number of deaths less harsh - as mentioned before, the geographical split of the covid deaths is quite different to that of the flu ones, so even if the flu ones got off lightly this year, surely it's not a valid comparison when it's targeting a very different audience, so to speak.

17 minutes ago, The Doctor... said:

I'm very sure people didn't operate under the notion that no one died before this.  Anyway, do you have a link to those figures in respect of geographical breakdown of the pneumonia numbers as i imagine there is no correlation between that and what we are experiencing here.

I have to disagree re the worse flu season etc making these number of deaths less harsh - as mentioned before, the geographical split of the covid deaths is quite different to that of the flu ones, so even if the flu ones got off lightly this year, surely it's not a valid comparison when it's targeting a very different audience, so to speak.

The data is only up until 27th March, but up until that point, the covid-19 deaths were very much in line with the norms per region.

Those with higher population had more deaths.

Interestingly London at that point was actually doing better.. with a lower number of deaths than expected for its population.

The South-East and in North West seemed hit the hardest, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The next weeks data which will be up till April 4th will give a much clearer picture as that is the week when the Covid-19 deaths began to escalate.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020#deaths-by-region

That's the link, scroll down to Number 5 for the by region charts.

I understand the points you are making and you may well be right.. as I say, next weeks data will reveal a lot more.

Edited to add: 

Happy Birthday 

Edited by BWitcher

9 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

The data is only up until 27th March, but up until that point, the covid-19 deaths were very much in line with the norms per region.

Those with higher population had more deaths.

Interestingly London at that point was actually doing better.. with a lower number of deaths than expected for its population.

The South-East and in North West seemed hit the hardest, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The next weeks data which will be up till April 4th will give a much clearer picture as that is the week when the Covid-19 deaths began to escalate.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020#deaths-by-region

That's the link, scroll down to Number 5 for the by region charts.

I understand the points you are making and you may well be right.. as I say, next weeks data will reveal a lot more.

Thanks, tho that's referring to normal deaths no ? Or am i misreading it. 

1 minute ago, The Doctor... said:

Thanks, tho that's referring to normal deaths no ? Or am i misreading it. 

Looking at it again, I'd misread it too.

It's actually got both.. the blue bars are normal deaths, the yellow is Covid-19.

I hadn't noticed that previously as not looked at this particular graph before.

It does show that London is a hotspot , so what you are saying may well have some credence.

As before, next weeks chart will be more revealing as there will be a lot more data.

Thanks for that input, it's very valid and something else to consider.

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I've "self-isolated" myself from the other thread on corona virus...just goes round and round in circles and dominated by a certain few.

And until now I had self isolated on the other thread on corona virus, I didn't even know this one way running and yeah I am going to stick with this one!!!

2 minutes ago, rjsj9803 said:

And until now I had self isolated on the other thread on corona virus, I didn't even know this one way running and yeah I am going to stick with this one!!!

Is that because you can post your fiction here and it's believed? :)

Just now, BWitcher said:

It does show that London is a hotspot , so what you are saying may well have some credence.

Bloody hell, thanks lol . May well have some credence :) 

Sadly there is a reason why this virus is hitting particular sections of the community harder in cities.  As awful as it is to say, in the uk, south asians have particular medical historical issues that make them vulnerable.  Here in south london and elsewhere, lots of people have sickle cell anaemia aswell, and they are massively at risk to this also.  

Crazy times

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Is that because you can post your fiction here and it's believed? 

Bye Rimmer I have no interest in your mass debating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Nothing to do with opinions.

it's facts that are being discussed.

Just because some like fantasies, like the ones on this thread.

As for safe?

Its STILL the case that there have been less deaths from respiratory diseases in the UK this year than the average for the past 5.

Is covid-19 serious? 

YES IT IS.

Well perhaps when you have a moment you can clear up a long standing question when you were confusing 'facts' with 'opinions' regarding a speedway related topic which you've not addressed?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Happy birthday Doc, keep up the good work.

Ditto!

10 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yes but the coronavirsu deaths are contuniung to soar daily as the peak is reached and could easily match Italy ( sure to go over 1,000 a day IMHO ) and will easily pass those you are talking awbout.

12 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Yes but the coronavirsu deaths are contuniung to soar daily as the peak is reached and could easily match Italy ( sure to go over 1,000 a day IMHO ) and will easily pass those you are talking awbout.

The deaths aren't 'soaring daily', if you're referring to yesterday's figure.. that's higher for the same reason as last Monday. They don't have time to record all the deaths on a Sunday, so many of them carry over to the next day. Hence you'll find Sunday's figure is always lower.. but the balance is added to Mondays.

That said, they will continue to rise for at least the next 7 days or so when 'hopefully' it will reach a peak and then begin to plateau.. as they have done in Italy and Spain. 

Of coursed, plateauing at that level won't be good as hundreds will still be dying so its when things start to consistently start going down we can start to be hopeful.

The reason for pointing out the number of deaths is that there are many laboring under the belief the deaths we have seen so far are unprecedented.. they were doing so when 50 a day were dying. Many of us said then that those figures were a drop in the ocean and were ridiculed. Of course.. we were right.

However, a major factor in both our recording of deaths.. and indeed that of Italy is they are including deaths that were 'suspected' to have covid-19 not just those who have it which is exaggerating the numbers somewhat.