British Speedway Forum

Bringing this back to Speedway and with the prospect of the lock down being lifted in the coming weeks I wonder how well British Speedway is placed to resume sooner rather than later?

If, as looks likely, there will be a phased return there are many issues that the sport faces.

What if it's a geographical return? What if it's an age demographic return? What if physical social distancing is still required? How will medical cover be provided? What if a rider gets injured? I wonder if clubs have a plan to mitigate these possible restrictions? Do clubs have contactless admission payment systems? There's probably many more issues, that's just a few for starters

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, iainb said:

Bringing this back to Speedway and with the prospect of the lock down being lifted in the coming weeks I wonder how well British Speedway is placed to resume sooner rather than later?

If, as looks likely, there will be a phased return there are many issues that the sport faces.

What if it's a geographical return? What if it's an age demographic return? What if physical social distancing is still required? How will medical cover be provided? What if a rider gets injured? I wonder if clubs have a plan to mitigate these possible restrictions? Do clubs have contactless admission payment systems? There's probably many more issues, that's just a few for starters

I doubt that any events in stadia will return this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I doubt that any events in stadia will return this year.

You correct I feel

Given latest news reports  on BBC online where it seems to stress that social distancing of a sort needs remain until possibly vaccinations ready the likelihood of us seeing speedway this summer seems less and less likely ?

Edited by Catch Me If You Can
missed word

35 minutes ago, iainb said:

Too many Clubs are still in dark ages of Cash only. 

• Like 1

If the wearing of face masks in public becomes compulsory there maybe a way to resume. Everybody is so much more aware now what's needed to suppress the spread of this virus... Of course we're not being told to wear face masks in public yet probably due to the fact we haven't got enough but I think it will happen

9 minutes ago, HGould said:

you will be glad to hear that we will have a card facility at Birmingham once we get started again ! Peter has sourced a system that does not require a wi-fi connection 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HGould said:

...perhaps then one-time King's Lynn co-promoter Bill Barker wouldn't have been 'robbed' of the days takings some years ago when he took the money home with him and left it in his house overnight the story being told in Malcom Simmons' (co-promoter at the time) in his most excellent book?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

If the wearing of face masks in public becomes compulsory there maybe a way to resume. Everybody is so much more aware now what's needed to suppress the spread of this virus... Of course we're not being told to wear face masks in public yet probably due to the fact we haven't got enough but I think it will happen

I think it’s more down to how close people are likely to come into contact with each other when attending an event.

You’d need two metre spacing marks for all queues, toilets, food and drink outlets and parking spaces, seating areas restricted to one person in every four seats and designated spectator standing positions throughout the stadium with yellow sprayed dots that individuals stand on and no standing in close clusters of family members or friends.

On a positive note, speedway is so poorly attended that it might have the space for that!

58 minutes ago, HGould said:

Cash is King

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Lee Kilby has done fixture lists for a May/June or July return. 

The first 2 he reckons we could still get a full season with cooperation from all promoters. The July return would be trickier and probably involve 1 home and away league fixture.

At least the BSPA seem to have contingency plans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...perhaps then one-time King's Lynn co-promoter Bill Barker wouldn't have been 'robbed' of the days takings some years ago when he took the money home with him and left it in his house overnight the story being told in Malcom Simmons' (co-promoter at the time) in his most excellent book?

Didn't he leave his window open because the dog farted?!?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Didn't he leave his window open because the dog farted?!?

Apparently! You couldn't make it up really.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

I think it’s more down to how close people are likely to come into contact with each other when attending an event.

You’d need two metre spacing marks for all queues, toilets, food and drink outlets and parking spaces, seating areas restricted to one person in every four seats and designated spectator standing positions throughout the stadium with yellow sprayed dots that individuals stand on and no standing in close clusters of family members or friends.

On a positive note, speedway is so poorly attended that it might have the space for that!

Maybe 2 metres wouldn't be needed if face masks are worn, I don't know

i'm sure at most tracks, with the crowds we get now, people will all be able to go as normal and still be 2 metres from anyone

3 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

you will be glad to hear that we will have a card facility at Birmingham once we get started again ! Peter has sourced a system that does not require a wi-fi connection 

Great news thanks